Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 20:00   #16
God Member

Re: Panorama Blackburn.

white flight my arse, why the hell do they have to 'label' everything, that programme made out that all white people in blackburn are racist................TESTICLES
Old 07-05-2007, 20:29   #17
Resident Waffler

Drat! Missed it!

I know people in Blackburn who aren't racist. Did the program label everyone just because some people are?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 20:37   #18
I am Banned

I would not say it labelled white people as racist at all.
AccringtonsBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 20:38   #19
God Member

Old 07-05-2007, 20:42   #20

[quote=flashytart;421021]white flight my arse, why the hell do they have to 'label' everything, that programme made out that all white people in blackburn are racist

i know it was really sensationalist. also tryiong to make out that asian people were also racist.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 20:42   #21
God Member

no comment
Old 07-05-2007, 20:54   #22
Resident Waffler

I don't suppose anybody recorded it did they?

Old 07-05-2007, 20:55   #23

dont think it made out any one was racist just shows how people havent intergrated problem caused by bad goverment policies
Old 07-05-2007, 20:56   #24
I am Banned

U can watch it online anytime willow at this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/6631541.stm

Scroll down to the bottom for link to watch

HTH
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 20:59   #25
Resident Waffler

Thanks Mel.

Old 07-05-2007, 21:02   #26

Well, I found it quite even handed,though the comment by the Canon that he found Blackburn more divided than post apartheid South Africa(or words to that effect) were a little loaded.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 21:17   #27
Resident Waffler

I've read the article and one thing the immediately struck me was Jack Straw saying "There is not just simply residential segregation, but there is separation in education, in social, cultural, faith, in virtually every aspect of their daily lives, employment too." Now some of that seems strange to me because of course there are going to be cultural differences between different immigrant groups and between immigrants and the indigenous population and people want to retain their own culture. Why shouldn't different cultures co-exist happily side by side? Is that wrong? Faith too is obviously going to be different because people naturally want their own religion and are not going to just join another one because of the other people around them. It's a very personal thing. But education I agree that should be able to be integrated and it's a shame when it isn't. Employment? Is there really segregation in employment? I thought that was illegal.

It does seem that possibly personal lifestyle choices are being interpreted as racist when they are not. For instance, I wouldn't want to become a muslim but that doesn't mean I don't want to have muslim friends. I wouldn't want to become a Jehovah's witness either but that doesn't make me racist does it?

Old 07-05-2007, 21:21   #28
God Member

no your quite right willow, i am not racist myself, i have asian friends, indians and pakistani's...i will admit though i did vote for the bnp this year....yes this may be hypocritical of me, but there are many cultures who actually work for the bnp, asians included
Old 07-05-2007, 22:11   #29
Resident Waffler

I've just had an associated thought on this. I know people who are Roman Catholic but I don't 'mix' with them at their church either but that doesn't make us segregated does it? It just means they have their religion and I have mine. Same thing innit?

Old 07-05-2007, 22:13   #30
God Member

yes willow it is, and thanx mani for the bad karma i see you didnt bother asking for the reason why i voted bnp ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..