Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 20:32   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Person of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Eric Whalley is the Chairman of Accrington Stanley
He has taken the club from mickey mouse league oblivion to the doorstep of League football...bringing the club back to where it belongs after a 44 year absence. Also bringing the town of Accrington into the limelight through the club's achievments.
He has taken every role at the club from player to manager to kitman to chairman.
Eric Whalley IS Accrington Stanley Football Club.
more than deserving of an award in my opinion.
I'll second that!!
Old 01-02-2006, 20:43   #32
Beacon of light

Dorothy MacGregor is the Driving force behind Maundy Grange. Maundy Grange is a registered charity that gives the disadvantaged(even if that disadvantage is of their own making - Muandy Grange is not judgemental)of Hyndburn practical help. Dorothy Macgregor was 74 years old today.....she devotes her life to her chosen cause and hardly ever takes time off. She is indeed, an inspiration.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 23:55   #33
God Member

It is a commonly used phrase, even I've heard of it.
The awards are local hero awards for 2006, that is for this year they will be the local hero based on achievments of previous years but mainly the last year 2005. I can't really suggest anyone but what i will say is don't just go for the most obvious, sometimes people out of the limelite do some really hard work and achieve a lot, sometimes with little or no help, out of their own pockets.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:06   #34

Wow, what a thread. Each time I log onto Accy web I get a funny glow as I read the welcoming, accepting messages from all the members. It's almost like the 20th century never even happened.

-----------------
The views in this post are mine and mine alone, but despite this petty disclaimer will still get me in trouble if I say anything I shouldn't.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19   #35
God Member

Not sure what you're getting at Dillon!

Anyway, to the rest of you - I hope you have taken the time to send your nominations in to 2BR.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:36   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Not sure what you're getting at Dillon!
Neither do I. Surely Dillon's posting must rank as the strangest of the year - 2006 - so far.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:16   #37
God Member

I vote me madhatter of the year
Old 03-02-2006, 17:19   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Eric Whalley is the Chairman of Accrington Stanley
He has taken the club from mickey mouse league oblivion to the doorstep of League football...bringing the club back to where it belongs after a 44 year absence. Also bringing the town of Accrington into the limelight through the club's achievments.
He has taken every role at the club from player to manager to kitman to chairman.
Eric Whalley IS Accrington Stanley Football Club.
more than deserving of an award in my opinion.
Think bit of an oversell here Shaker ... mmm .. not too sure about this and that it was not all done on behalf of self-indulgence >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> runs for cover.
Like Margaret's suggestion though with Dorothy McGregor, done for the love of other people .. might cast a vote in that direction.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 17:30   #39
mez
God Member

there are lots of people who do things for the welfare of others.without thought of themselves or for recogntion.... just quietly get on with what they enjoy doing ......its these type of people i admire ....
Old 03-02-2006, 17:35   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
there are lots of people who do things for the welfare of others.without thought of themselves or for recogntion.... just quietly get on with what they enjoy doing ......its these type of people i admire ....
Exactly Mez .. that's probably why we don't always hear about them, because they don't do it for recognition.
Old 03-02-2006, 17:37   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Think bit of an oversell here Shaker ... mmm .. not too sure about this and that it was not all done on behalf of self-indulgence >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> runs for cover.
Like Margaret's suggestion though with Dorothy McGregor, done for the love of other people .. might cast a vote in that direction.
10...9...8...7...6...5.....im ok now.
lol, Accrington Stanley's success is all down to Eric Whalley's love and complete devotion for the club over many years - which is extremely rare nowadays; with billionaire oil tycoons turning midtable mediocrity teams into league winners in a matter of months...all very well - but no passion for the game - just financial success.
Eric Whalley deserves every award he is given - he has given everything to Accrington Stanley and has even put his personal health on the line - would many chairmen do that for their club? I think not.
Men like Eric Whalley are a dying breed; he has gone unrecognised after doing so much good work not only for Accrington Stanley but for the town of Accrington - which no council could EVER acheive.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 17:48   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
This is why I say think about it if your going to vote, there are others than the most obvious.
Old 03-02-2006, 17:53   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
10...9...8...7...6...5.....im ok now.
lol, Accrington Stanley's success is all down to Eric Whalley's love and complete devotion for the club over many years - which is extremely rare nowadays; with billionaire oil tycoons turning midtable mediocrity teams into league winners in a matter of months...all very well - but no passion for the game - just financial success.
Eric Whalley deserves every award he is given - he has given everything to Accrington Stanley and has even put his personal health on the line - would many chairmen do that for their club? I think not.
Men like Eric Whalley are a dying breed; he has gone unrecognised after doing so much good work not only for Accrington Stanley but for the town of Accrington - which no council could EVER acheive.
Deep breaths shaker .. don't live up to yer' name Glad I ducked.
Will perhaps re-consider seeing as you put your point forward so well ... however, feel probably no need as will soon be made Lord Mayor or given the Keys to the 'City' in the near future. Doubt that he is unrecognised though, asked at work today and all seem to know who he was with tears in their eyes, some were a little derogatory to his personaliaty though? Is he a little grumpy ??
Old 03-02-2006, 17:59   #44
God Member

If Accrington Stanley get promoted think we should start a campaign to get Eric Whalley made a Freeman of the town.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 18:10   #45
God Member

My point to him being unrecognised was aimed at HBC; as soon as Stanley bring success to the town Britcliffe is happy to accept praise for himself....why? I have no idea; that man couldn't find his behind with both hands.
Eric can be a little grumpy...only towards referees though
Another point I'd like to make (groooaaaannn) is that Eric is always happy to come into the sports bar with all the fans after home games...like I said he is a really down to earth man - none of this fake 'people power' *shudder* that Britcliffe and his goons seem to adopt when Stanley are about.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..