Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 10:18   #1
God Member

Person of the year

2BR Radio Local Hero Awards 2006

Every year at 2BR the Local Hero Awards are held. This is the station’s search for the most heroic, most deserving and most courageous people in Burnley, Hyndburn and Pendle.

2BR are looking for you to help them find deserving nominations for the following categories:
Child of Courage
Public Service Person
Young Person
Entrepreneur
Volunteer of the Year
Amateur Sports Person
Good Neighbour
Employee of the Year
Bravery

Send your nominations by post to 2BR Local Hero Awards, 2BR, Nelson, BB9 7DR, by fax to 01282 690001 or email to [email protected]

I'M SURE WE CAN ALL THINK OF PEOPLE IN HYNDBURN THAT ARE WORTHY OF THESE AWARDS - PLEASE START NOMINATING

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36   #2
God Member

Re: Person of the year

By my reckoning, today is February 1st 2006;so, I calculate that there are exactly 11 calender months left of the year. In percentage terms, that is 91.67% of the year still to come. On what logical basis, then, can we nominate someone as person of the year? Surely the time to do this should be in november or december?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51   #3
God Member

I don't know - perhaps it should have said Person of 2005 - let's not be pedantic and let's start getting some of the votes for Hyndburn folk. It's that petty attitude that stifles most initiatives and squashes any hope or pride in the area.

I've already sent in one vote for Dorothy McGregor from Maundy Relief.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:58   #4
God Member

Entrepeneur - Sir Eric Whalley

we are not worthy!!!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:05   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I It's that petty attitude that stifles most initiatives and squashes any hope or pride in the area.
Wrong. It is exactly that "petty attitude" of accuracy and relevance that ensures that initiatives become successful and eventually give hope and pride. It is sloppy, inaccurate work and half -baked wooly-minded ideas that result in the numerous messes and follies to be found scattered throughout Hyndburn.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-02-2006 at 11:07.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13   #6

I think i will be nominating my son Geordie. This time last year he had been diagagnosed with brain tumour he was only 9 i know there are alot of children out there who also deserve this award for what they go through with illness but Geordie is my hero and always will be.
emmatjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:40   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
On what logical basis, then, can we nominate someone as person of the year?......It is sloppy, inaccurate work and half -baked wooly-minded ideas that result in the numerous messes and follies to be found scattered throughout Hyndburn.
Why not ask 2BR that question Tealeaf?
These awards are from 2BR and don't just include Hyndburn. Your post is yet another example of how many people only appear interested in Hyndburn bashing. I personally think it would be nice to see some our our residents receive one of these awards. It would be good publicity for Hyndburn as well.
I looks to me like Gayle is only posting an email she received to try and get some Hyndburn people nominated.

Last edited by Neil; 01-02-2006 at 11:46.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:40   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Wrong. It is exactly that "petty attitude" of accuracy and relevance that ensures that initiatives become successful and eventually give hope and pride. It is sloppy, inaccurate work and half -baked wooly-minded ideas that result in the numerous messes and follies to be found scattered throughout Hyndburn.
No, YOU'RE wrong. It's small mindedness and pettiness that stops people from sharing pride in the town. Why not just take simple things like this at face value? By picking holes in it you are sending out the message that it's not worth participating in or sharing pride in someone else's endeavour. You are demeaning the people that are nominated.

This is a radio initiative to celebrate pride in the people of the area. It doesn't matter whether it's this year or last year that we're celebrating - these people deserve to be recognised regardless.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:09   #9
God Member

I have decided to nominate myself for the award under the category of "Bravery". I believe I throughly deserve this award for having to undergo the mental torture of reading the crap posted by Neil & Gayle on this thread.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16   #10
God Member

Well you'd certainly never qualify for the Public Service award, Tealeaf.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:18   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I looks to me like Gayle is only posting an email she received to try and get some Hyndburn people nominated.
It was an email that I got but I added the last line on about getting people from Hyndburn nominated. It's a positive thing that we should be applauding rather than being petty about a detail.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:24   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It was an email that I got but I added the last line on about getting people from Hyndburn nominated.
I know I received the same mail from her just after you posted. I wonder if it would have got the same response if I had posted it
Old 01-02-2006, 12:32   #13
God Member

I wonder indeed.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:34   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I know I received the same mail from her just after you posted. I wonder if it would have got the same response if I had posted it
Yeah..........................
Old 01-02-2006, 12:35   #15
Give, give, give member

It's only like the Oscars. Although the awards will be for this year, they will be for work done in film the previous year.

Perhaps people who wish to vote will use the same criteria, and not be quite as anal about it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..