Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2005, 08:02   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: pope

I'll have to come back for a read of this when I have more time. Thanks for finding all these things A-b. I love 'em

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2005, 08:23   #47
God Member

Yes, I must agree. One always expects these things to be more sensational than in fact they are. But do you not agree that the publicity machine of the Vatican is astonishing? Especially considering, as you pointed out, that this is a story that has been trailed for 83 years. What would it be worth if it could be translated to Hollywood?
Old 25-02-2005, 08:52   #48
Give, give, give member

The link was amazing in its professionalism, if only they spent a little of what they spend on spin, on poverty, much of it in Catholic countries, l'd be happier.
By the way anyone looking for same sex hook ups, the Vatican City is one of the most crusiest places on earth!
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 09:43   #49
God Member

Hmmm, I had a friend who attended The Venerable English College in Rome. He reported much the same.
Old 25-02-2005, 10:13   #50
Resident Waffler

I've just come back home and read it and it is rather an anti-climax isn't it?

Old 25-02-2005, 10:46   #51
Give, give, give member

It was an anti-climax, all that sealed envelopes & stuff, & then it really didn't say anything at all. Perhaps it relates to Charles/Camilla weddding- the church of England will collapse & we'll return to Rome.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 10:51   #52
Resident Waffler

You may not be far off the mark re the CofE - there's a schism (is that right?) according to the news this morning but it's not about Charles and Camilla it's about gay clergy. The Anglicans have asked the Americans and some other branch to disassociate themselves from what I could gather.

Old 25-02-2005, 12:10   #53

I think the pope would take the view that if help is available to ease the sitoation then accept it, as when his maker calls him he will go willingly. God bless this lovely man.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 12:15   #54

nothing against the pope, but what's with the vatican cover up on the state of his health?
he's an old man and we should face facts, but the vatican refuse to believe he's on his wayout. it's a shame because he did good in world war 2 as a young priest, a large number of poles owe their life to him.
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 12:18   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
nothing against the pope, but what's with the vatican cover up on the state of his health?
he's an old man and we should face facts, but the vatican refuse to believe he's on his wayout.
But wouldn't we still be criticising the Vatican if they released a statement saying the Pope won't be with us long?
Old 25-02-2005, 12:21   #56
Resident Waffler

How have they covered up? They have kept us informed of his hospital admissions and operation haven't they?

Old 25-02-2005, 12:21   #57

you've got to realise that the vatican is more secretive than stalinist russia.
i like honesty from public bodies and i wouln't be bothered if they told us that he was on his way out
Old 25-02-2005, 12:23   #58

[QUOTE]How have they covered up? They have kept us informed of his hospital admissions and operation haven't they?
yes willow, but they haven't been entirely honest about his true condition have they?
Old 25-02-2005, 12:23   #59
God Member

Quote:
i like honesty from public bodies and i wouln't be bothered if they told us that he was on his way out
You might not be bothered but a statement released like that could and would upset many Catholic people
Old 25-02-2005, 12:24   #60
Resident Waffler

Quote:
you've got to realise that the vatican is more secretive than stalinist russia.
We don't get told that other people are on their way out do we? We are usually informed when they are ill and eventually when they have passed away. In some cases we don't even realise famous people were ill until they've pegged it. I think it would sound a bit like hovering vultures to announce to the media that someone is on their last legs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..