Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2007, 13:39   #1
Give, give, give member

Prawn makes thousand mile round trip.

Scottish prawns are being flown thousands of miles to China to be hand shelled, before being flown back to the UK to be sold. As well as these prawns having a massive carbon footprint, ok I know prawns don't have feet, this to me shows that we are now truly a service centre nation, unable to shell a few prawns. It's a pity the thousands of people who work in Scottish call centres can't shell them in their breaks.

Also of note fron the article in today's Sunday Times, is the fact that Fair Trade goods aren't that environmentally friendly as they first appear.

'Traidcraft coffee, sold at Sainsbury’s, is made from beans grown in Bukoba, Tanzania.

Once the coffee is cultivated, it is driven 656 miles to Dar-es-Salaam and then shipped 3,250 miles to Vijayawada in India where it is packed. The coffee is loaded back on the ships and transported another 5,000 miles to Southampton. It is then driven 330 miles to Gateshead and is finally driven to Leeds for distribution to Sainsbury’s stores.'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1813836.ece

I hope Hyndburn Borough Council, who spend our money on the more expensive Fair Trade coffee, might ponder this whilst having their morning brew tomorrow morning.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2007, 13:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Prawn makes thousand mile round trip.

And i would prawn a thousand miles Hehe And thats alot for the coffee aswell!! Thankyou intresting read garinda

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 15:09   #3
God Member

Thats ridiculous isn't it, but its obviously worth it financially which is the sad thing.
Old 20-05-2007, 16:31   #4
Give, give, give member

Key fair trade principles-

Environmental protection
Fair trade actively encourages better environmental practices and the application of responsible methods of production.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade

Hardly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..