Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2006, 17:42   #1
Senior Member+

Pubs-catch22

As we all know recent rises in gas & leccy charges have had us stocking up on candles,and it seems some of our local boozers are feeling the effects too.Last weekend,on a rather cold & damp Saturday i visited a few pubs only to find no heating on intwo or three of them,& needless to say,no customers in either.What can a land lord do? If he's no one in hes not going to put the heating on,and no one will want to go & spend what little spare cash they have sitting in a freezing pub. And they have'nt even banned smoking yet!Hard times ahead for the licencsee.
Old 14-10-2006, 19:32   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Pubs-catch22

I had a very enjoyable drink by candle light with some of my AccyWeb friends last Sunday, no electric did not spoil the afternoon at all.
Old 14-10-2006, 19:36   #3
God Member

Looking at the pics it looked a really nice, cosy atmosphere I wish I'd have been able to make it. More pubs should use it as a theme it looked fun drinks by candle light.
Old 14-10-2006, 19:42   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I had a very enjoyable drink by candle light with some of my AccyWeb friends last Sunday, no electric did not spoil the afternoon at all.
Yes,i believe so.Cheap drink & candlelight couldve been a fire hazard.Hope you all wrapped up well.
Old 14-10-2006, 22:16   #5
Resident Waffler

It was cozy until Roy started playing Arsonists-R-Us!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 12:11   #6
God Member

Pubs need to find a happy balance which is not easy and as a warm pub is a happy friendly pub then it needs to be on. As for the no smoking part then the pubs will have to put up with but it does hinder for a couple months but does improve.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 13:09   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver
Yes,i believe so.Cheap drink & candlelight couldve been a fire hazard.
Like Willow said, Roy was our fire hazard. Poor Mandy is still tring to get 20 candles worth of wax from that table top.
Old 15-10-2006, 18:34   #8

How about a nice log fire? Are you allowed to burn wood? I ask, because there appear to be a staggering number of "No-no's" on the books in Merry Old England these days.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 08:57   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
How about a nice log fire? Are you allowed to burn wood? I ask, because there appear to be a staggering number of "No-no's" on the books in Merry Old England these days.
It would have to be non pollting and come from a renewable source ie all those soddin pine forests we have "collected" over the years. Some places could use the smokeless coal that there is I supose but I dont know how expensive it would be, nor where they sell it. Its great if a pub does have an open fire especially in winter.

Mind you in some of the boozers I have been in there is no need for heating because of the amount of hot air spouted.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..