Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 19:02   #16

Re: Queensland Floods.

Must be very worrying for all them involved, my heart goes out to all of you. Hope you all stay strong and safe.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2011, 19:10   #17
Senior Member+

Hope you hear something soon Margaret, fingers crossed
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 21:42   #18
Beacon of light

Thank you....I will try and text her in the morning if I don't hear anything.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 06:48   #19

Latest update......15 lives lost still 70 people missing.....120,000 homes without power,over 4000 people living in community centres...doing it tough,sleeping on floors.This flood is not just Brisbane....over 75% of the state is flood affected...imagine if you will,the whole of the UK 6 times over.....it,s a big state.And now we are informed there is a cyclone building off the coast due to reach us in 4 or 5 days time....one can only pray that this excess water we have experienced is well and truly away by then.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 07:39   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
Latest update......15 lives lost still 70 people missing.....120,000 homes without power,over 4000 people living in community centres...doing it tough,sleeping on floors.This flood is not just Brisbane....over 75% of the state is flood affected...imagine if you will,the whole of the UK 6 times over.....it,s a big state.And now we are informed there is a cyclone building off the coast due to reach us in 4 or 5 days time....one can only pray that this excess water we have experienced is well and truly away by then.
Nature can be terrible.

There is a lot of coverage here, and there's lots of people thinking about you all.

Take care Tal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:38   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
We are all thinking about you, take care
Old 13-01-2011, 19:18   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Thank you....I will try and text her in the morning if I don't hear anything.
Have you heard anything Margaret?
Old 13-01-2011, 20:09   #23
Beacon of light

Yes, but only via another family member......Nessa was at the hospital for18 hours......her normal shift is 8 hours.......staff could not get in ...so those who were already there, stayed on. Her phone died so she couldn't send me a text message......and I think she got home via a police vehicle(not usually allowed and not sure if I should have told you ).......and fortunately her home was safe.
So I guess that when she went home she would go straight to bed....I'm pretty sure she would be cream crackered.

Thank you for asking.

I am pretty sure that life is going to be difficult and chaotic over the next few weeks......getting back to normal won't be quick as so much damage has been done.

Respect to the Queenslanders!
Old 13-01-2011, 20:28   #24
Senior Member+

Glad to hear that she is well, it is going to be hard for them all like you said.
Keep us updated Margaret
Old 13-01-2011, 21:00   #25
Beacon of light

Might just do it through the blogs!
Old 14-01-2011, 14:39   #26
Common Sense Member

I am not in any way a dog lover I'm afraid but the footage of a woman losing hold of her dog in a waterfall as she was winched to safety broke my heart. What a bittersweet rescue that must have been for her.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 14:47   #27
Beacon of light

That was the floods in Brazil........there are floods in Sri Lanka too. The floods in Brisbane have a particular meaning for me because I have family there.
We must not forget these unfortunate people either........they are in a terrible situation....some of those in Brazil were buried alive under a mud slide.
If your heart doesn't go out to them, then there can only be one reason.......you don't have a heart.
Old 14-01-2011, 16:53   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That was the floods in Brazil........there are floods in Sri Lanka too. The floods in Brisbane have a particular meaning for me because I have family there.
We must not forget these unfortunate people either........they are in a terrible situation....some of those in Brazil were buried alive under a mud slide.
If your heart doesn't go out to them, then there can only be one reason.......you don't have a heart.
Agree with your last thought, Margaret, such devastation on such a wide scale is just so unimaginable, and thoughts to all people of the world who are suffering by these disasters.

It is sad in Brazil because it is the poorest of the poor that have been living on these slopes.
It is sad in Australia, not just the loss of life, but the widescale destruction of the lovely homes these people have worked so hard to achieve.

Thank goodness your sister is ok .. what a great worry for you. x

Just hope the floods predicted for the U.K. will not cause too much damage.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 19:17   #29
Beacon of light

You are right Kate.......I hope that those people in Brazil and Sri Lanka will eventually get a better life as a result of the floods.....they are the really poor people....and deserve help.
Sometimes events like this focus your attention on how very lucky we are. And still we grumble!

It is going to take Brisbane quite a while to recover........and the folks there are going to be clearing up and doing without things for quite a bit yet. You tend to forget that things don't miraculously return to normal once the water has receded........food outlets like supermarkets cannot bring in stock because it has been contaminated by water.......the producers of goods are hampered, again because they cannot produce what is needed.......lots of small businesses will be in dire straits. The whole infrastructure of this lovely city has been compromised. It is going to take time.
Old 14-01-2011, 23:36   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I am not in any way a dog lover I'm afraid but the footage of a woman losing hold of her dog in a waterfall as she was winched to safety broke my heart. What a bittersweet rescue that must have been for her.
She may have been better off leaving it as it may have been possible to save it latter!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..