Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2007, 10:52   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Rant...

getting wed needn't cost the earth, got stretch limo, licence,flowers,witnesses, video,lovely chapel, etc etc, cost around 250 dollars, ya just need to suss things out. that was approx 6 yrs ago, ya can book a package with a tour operator n will cost a fortune, use yer head n jobs a good un.
Old 13-12-2007, 11:44   #62
Senior Member+

I can think of more important things to spend our money atm though eg our house,Jack.
He reckons he is gona marry me eventually.....thats if i say yes

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 12:05   #63
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How does that work then?
I thought CofE ministers ( or whatever you call them) can marry people, apart from that I thought it was only the registrars who could do it at licensed places. Many hotels are licensed now.

If you get married in a catholic church don't you need a registrar there?

I think CofE vicars are the only ones who don't need an additional Registrar type person as being the authorised church of the land they already have that authority (or summat like that). That's why we have the additional person acting on behalf of the Register Office (ie me). I don't know for sure but I would presume that any other church can apply if they have a congregation member willing to do the 'job' - of course they may well charge the regitration fee though. We are authorised by the Register Office to charge that fee. It would be my fee for services rendered. But LDS members never charge each other for things - like we got our organist from another Ward as we don't actually have one at Blackburn who can do all that fancy stuff but she would never have dreamed of charging us for doing it. Of course we bought her something as a thank you because she had to come all the way from Chorley and we brought her over a couple of times for a practice on our organ.

If you wanted to know for sure if other churches can appoint their own Authorised Person to register weddings you could always ask the Registrar General's office. I only know what happens in our church. Some of our Wards don't have anyone who does it because no-one in the ward wants to volunteer to do it so they just get someone in from the Register Office. I can't register a wedding that takes place anywhere else but our chapel in Blackburn. Perhaps the Catholic church just doesn't see the need to have one of their congregation do the job when there are people who come and do it for you. Oh yes, the church has to have somewhere same and secure and approved by the powers that be to store the certificates and records etc too.

Sounds like a good idea to ask a relative who is a C of E vicar, that would cut down on the he costs.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 17:38   #64
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Sounds like a good idea to ask a relative who is a C of E vicar, that would cut down on the he costs.
It just so happens that a friend of ours is a C of E Vicar, I will ask him what he knows about it all when I see him next. I suspect he could only do it in a C of E church after all the license bit has been done.
Old 13-12-2007, 17:42   #65
Beacon of light

I think we paid something like 17/6 to get married.....my suit was 12 quid....the taxi up to the register office was a couple of quid....both hubby and I travelled there in the same one.....we didn't have a reception, someone made us a cake as a gift. OK, all this was 42 years ago....but he has asked many times if I wanted to do the church thing with a swish do.....but my answer has always been NO.
Getting married was the important bit.....not the flash clothes or the posh do.......and if I could go back, and had more money I wouldn't change a thing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 18:10   #66
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It just so happens that a friend of ours is a C of E Vicar, I will ask him what he knows about it all when I see him next. I suspect he could only do it in a C of E church after all the license bit has been done.
I'd be interested to know if your friend the vicar is limited to the church where he does his vicaring (been fishing round for the right word but can't think of one!) in the same way that I'm restricted to the one Ward of our church. I couldn't for instance register a wedding in Burnley or Lancaster, only in our Blackburn chapel.

Old 13-12-2007, 20:44   #67
God Member

Quote:
I'd be interested to know if your friend the vicar is limited to the church where he does his vicaring (been fishing round for the right word but can't think of one!) in the same way that I'm restricted to the one Ward of our church. I couldn't for instance register a wedding in Burnley or Lancaster, only in our Blackburn chapel.

C of E vicars are not limited to the church at which they are incumbent (is that the word you were looking for?) for weddings, funerals or christenings.
Old 13-12-2007, 22:23   #68
Resident Waffler

Incumbent, that's the word! Thank you.

That's like our Bishops they can conduct weddings in other Wards of the church but the wedding has to be registered by the authorised person for the Ward where the wedding takes place. So for instance if a wedding took place in our Ward and the Stake President conducted it I would still be the registering person but if our Bishop did a wedding at Chorley (for whatever unlikely reason) it would be registered by the authorised person for that building. Just like a registrar from Blackburn can't do a wedding in Accrington. It has to be an Accrington one.

So I wonder how it works that a vicar can do it anywhere. Maybe the C of E have different rules to the General Register Office. I was thinking they came under the same jurisdiction.

Old 13-12-2007, 22:40   #69
God Member

Quote:
Incumbent, that's the word! Thank you.

That's like our Bishops they can conduct weddings in other Wards of the church but the wedding has to be registered by the authorised person for the Ward where the wedding takes place. So for instance if a wedding took place in our Ward and the Stake President conducted it I would still be the registering person but if our Bishop did a wedding at Chorley (for whatever unlikely reason) it would be registered by the authorised person for that building. Just like a registrar from Blackburn can't do a wedding in Accrington. It has to be an Accrington one.

So I wonder how it works that a vicar can do it anywhere. Maybe the C of E have different rules to the General Register Office. I was thinking they came under the same jurisdiction.

You would need to ask your chosen vicar if he was willing and you would also need to okay it with the incumbent of the church you'd chosen. I know that our vicar has done weddings elsewhere and that we have had other vicars officiating in our church.
Old 13-12-2007, 23:01   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
we have had other vicars officiating in our church.
I hope he cleaned it up afterwards
Old 14-12-2007, 11:51   #71
Resident Waffler

Yes but that still doesn't answer my query about the registering part of it. I feel a phone call to Southport coming on.

Old 14-12-2007, 12:59   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes but that still doesn't answer my query about the registering part of it. I feel a phone call to Southport coming on.
Im ringing my grandad tonight,do you want me to ask him?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 20:29   #73
God Member

Quote:
They can conduct weddings in any church as long as they have the permission of the incumbent.

If you wanted the vicar at St Paul's in Oswaldtwistle to conduct your wedding and you were getting married in Cambridge this would be ok as long as the vicar of the church in Cambridge gave his permission.
Old 14-12-2007, 20:41   #74

miss kitty don,t you let them work you up in any way just get on with your life and you keep a smile on your face and everything will work out for you.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 22:51   #75
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
They can conduct weddings in any church as long as they have the permission of the incumbent.

If you wanted the vicar at St Paul's in Oswaldtwistle to conduct your wedding and you were getting married in Cambridge this would be ok as long as the vicar of the church in Cambridge gave his permission.
Yes I understand that part but was wondering if the vicar is legally authorised to register the wedding in another parish or if the registrar or vicar from that registration district has to do it.

I never did get around to phoning Southport, got busy this afternoon and evening. Did you ask your Granddad Kitty?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..