Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2010, 21:07   #181
Senior Member+

Re: reasons to hate the tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Forget all the waffle, the big reason to hate em is "Thatcher"
Another reason, mentioned on the Politics show this morning - wealthy pensioners will still get free bus passes, winter fuel payments and TV licences even if they have 1,000's of pounds in the bank! While others with no savings will have their housing benefits cut! Tories protecting the rich and making the poor pay for it!Keep fox hunting illegal!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 23:49   #182
God Member

looks like a little rumbling happening already BBC News - Welfare cuts 'will not be approved', warns Hughes
Old 25-10-2010, 08:24   #183
Senior Member+

Food for thought...

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:23   #184
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Another reason, mentioned on the Politics show this morning - wealthy pensioners will still get free bus passes, winter fuel payments and TV licences even if they have 1,000's of pounds in the bank! While others with no savings will have their housing benefits cut! Tories protecting the rich and making the poor pay for it!Keep fox hunting illegal!
I've been saying that for weeks, its a nonsense, but remember who set it up that way and it certainly wasn't the Tories, to my mind you should not get it automatically, like other benefits you should have to apply, so that those with enough money wouldn't qualify
Old 25-10-2010, 09:27   #185
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've been saying that for weeks, its a nonsense, but remember who set it up that way and it certainly wasn't the Tories, to my mind you should not get it automatically, like other benefits you should have to apply, so that those with enough money wouldn't qualify
Thats very unfair!!!...............yer making it difficult to hate ya.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:27   #186
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thats very unfair!!!...............yer making it difficult to hate ya.
I'm that sort of a chap really
Old 25-10-2010, 16:05   #187
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Another reason, mentioned on the Politics show this morning - wealthy pensioners will still get free bus passes, winter fuel payments and TV licences even if they have 1,000's of pounds in the bank!
Wealthy Pensioners ? Who exactly are these wealthy Pensioners ? Working & Middle Class families who've spent near on 50 years in toil !

Not your Landed Gentry by a long shot ! Oh no ! That is a different league & class entirely !

Have you ever thought these so called "wealthy Pensioners" may just have grafted all their lives & done whatever was needed to get by (hard physical graft ! Getting up at sparrow fart & coming home late at night ! Working antisocial hours & shifts) all to raise their families properly & make sure there was always food on the table, going without, making sacrifices ! Being frugal & sensible with their earnings !

Oh yeah, while they were grafting they were also paying taxes so remind me again .... just who is looking after who ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:45   #188
Senior Member+

Quote:
wealthy pensioners will still get free bus passes, winter fuel payments and TV licences even if they have 1,000's of pounds in the bank!
Apparently it would cost so much to means test these benefits(extra civil servants, paperwork etc) that the costs would be far more than the savings.
Also these 'wealthy pensioners' probably don't use their bus pass so no cost there.
And are you really upset that a 75 year old gets £2.88 a week free TV licence or a 65 year old £4.80 a week for heating(£2.40 each if there are 2 of you)?However much money they have?
Tell us what you mean by a 'wealthy pensioner'. Do you start with ordinary working people who saved a bit and work upwards from there? Tell us.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:42   #189
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Apparently it would cost so much to means test these benefits(extra civil servants, paperwork etc) that the costs would be far more than the savings.
Also these 'wealthy pensioners' probably don't use their bus pass so no cost there.
And are you really upset that a 75 year old gets £2.88 a week free TV licence or a 65 year old £4.80 a week for heating(£2.40 each if there are 2 of you)?However much money they have?
Tell us what you mean by a 'wealthy pensioner'. Do you start with ordinary working people who saved a bit and work upwards from there? Tell us.
Well I don't agree with everybody getting these payments as I've already stated Gordon, but you do make valid points, and of course there is also the fact that they have probably worked all their lives and paid into the system so therefore are fully entitled to it
Old 25-10-2010, 17:56   #190
Senior Member+

I don't agree with it either, Jaysay, but don't you think if was possible to means test these benefits and SAVE money the Labour Government would definately have done it? So would this Government.
I look foreward to Kestrelx's definition of a 'wealthy pensioner'.As 10% of the people own 90% of the wealth(it is said) and of that 10% one in five will be a pensioner we're not talking many,are we? Or does he start a LOT lower?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:58   #191
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I don't agree with it either, Jaysay, but don't you think if was possible to means test these benefits and SAVE money the Labour Government would definately have done it? So would this Government.
I look foreward to Kestrelx's definition of a 'wealthy pensioner'.As 10% of the people own 90% of the wealth(it is said) and of that 10% one in five will be a pensioner we're not talking many,are we? Or does he start a LOT lower?
One never knows where the green eyed yellow monsters sets it sights Gordon
Old 25-10-2010, 18:24   #192
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley
reasons to hate the tories
Is there any reason to hate anyone? Disagree with them yes, but hate them.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:32   #193
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I've always wondered why people hate others just because they put a cross in a box on the ballot paper quite beyond me really
Old 25-10-2010, 18:32   #194
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
ask n old miner if theres a reason.
Old 25-10-2010, 20:03   #195
God Member

Quote:
Quote:
ask n old miner if theres a reason.
More like any ex-miner ..the tories made sure there was to be no more British coal miners.. young or old!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..