Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2007, 08:47   #31

Re: recycle your teabags hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
back to teabags

has anyone ever noticed that if you throw a used teabag out into the street in cold weather it looks like a steaming turd
ha ha pmsl
Old 13-03-2007, 09:31   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well I actually think it's a good idea.
I am starting to get worried about you Gayle.
This is not the first time you have agreed with Peter on here recently.
I also read in the Observer that Brian Walmsley is due for re-election in May and has not yet decided if he will stand due to his recent health problems.

Is this just a coincidence or have you put all your red clothes in the recycling sack and filled your wardrobe with new blue ones instead?
Old 13-03-2007, 09:38   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Council leader Peter Britcliffe said: "I think it is really important that we, as a council, set an example to the people in the borough about the importance of recycling.

"If this is a success I hope eventually we can go out to other offices and businesses in the area and show them what we have done, and how we made it work."
This is a good point that Peter makes in the Telegraph and I agree totally that they should show a good example. I have heard a few people on here comment about the contents of rubbish bins all going into landfill etc etc, maybe this will be the next thing they change.

Too many businesses do not recycle. Where I work we don't even recycle paper. We do separate scrap wood and metal but that is only because the waste collection company insist on it IIRC.

Quote:
Opposition Labour group leader Coun Graham Jones said: "We have called for drastic action on reducing waste and we welcome this move, but telling people to take home tea bags in their pockets, or handbags, is just daft."
It may be daft Graham but why not suggest some other way of collecting them instead, maybe the Parks Dept could compost them.

Last edited by Neil; 13-03-2007 at 09:42.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 10:32   #34
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Hehehe.... I watched this on Granada Reports last night. Yes, teabags can be used for composting but I agree with Neil that maybe they can have a collection area within the council offices and the used teabags be given to the parks dept. I do think it is ludicrous to take them home in your pocket.

The reporter went on to say that if there are 200 employees having 2 cups of tea per day, that is an awful lot of teabags. I find it hard to believe that these employees find time for 2 cups of tea per day whilst at work... they obviously don't work for the NHS maternity services then..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 10:35   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
The reporter went on to say that if there are 200 employees having 2 cups of tea per day, that is an awful lot of teabags.
Do none of them drink coffee?

Maybe they should ban tea, glass coffee jars are easy to recycle.
Old 13-03-2007, 11:38   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do none of them drink coffee?

Maybe they should ban tea, glass coffee jars are easy to recycle.
They are spaced out enough without supping coffee.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 14:27   #37
God Member

well i wouldnt fancy going home with my pocket/bag fill with fruit peelings / teabags etc... whats wrong with the council providing these bins ..after all it is thier idea...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 14:39   #38
I am Banned

if coucilors were locked up in stocks once a month and peopel allowed to throw rotten veg and peelings etc at them they could sweep up all the mess afterwards and take it away

sort of a collection point with incentive if you will
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 15:58   #39
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i tell you that PB takes the biscuit..i bet he aint taking is bloody teabags home!

im sure he just likes the attention, hes always in the observer!
i remember when he was a teacher at moorend talked rubbish then

the best thing for the workers would be to use tealeafs!!
Old 13-03-2007, 16:13   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It may be daft Graham but why not suggest some other way of collecting them instead, maybe the Parks Dept could compost them.
Hi Neil.

On the scale of things there are much bigger issues we should be looking at. It has been mentioned on here before, we don't recycle our trade waste colection which amounts to 8-9% of waste. There are many important things we don't do which I am sure Neil, you are aware of as I am.

None the less, it did raise awareness but unfortunately it has backfired into a joke piece about Accrington. (Granada Reports 'lets have a laugh section' at the end.) PB used the phrase "a storm in a Tea Bag". I think there is time for a laugh, I am not sure this was it.

Last edited by g jones; 13-03-2007 at 16:17.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 17:03   #41
God Member

hmmm a politician who can't spell
Old 13-03-2007, 17:27   #42
Resident Waffler

What about the council workers who don't have compost bins?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 17:40   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
None the less, it did raise awareness but unfortunately it has backfired into a joke piece about Accrington.
Your right it did. The idea was ok but maybe the approach was not.
I am all for recycling but I am not convinced that everything we recycle is actually for the good of the environment and not just so we can say we recycle xx% each month.
Old 13-03-2007, 19:05   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
if coucilors were locked up in stocks once a month and peopel allowed to throw rotten veg and peelings etc at them they could sweep up all the mess afterwards and take it away

sort of a collection point with incentive if you will

Will the stocks at Huncoat do for this Chav???

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 22:21   #45

can,t believe hyndburn council on t-bag issue, where do they think the bags will end up when so called do gooders take them home.....in the bin, now that really makes sense (sarcasm) seeing has most of the staff will probably live in hyndburn, just another way of making them look good only backfired as usual aroma lady
aromalady is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..