Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2005, 00:28   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Respect, or rather the lack of it.

Nice one Chav.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2005, 06:45   #32
God Member

Perhaps, as well as being an argument for a more authoritarian approach with offending brats, this is also an argument for parenting skills to be taught as part of the national curriculum - to correct the deficiences of home education?

I do think that there is a distinct lack of cohesive thinking in our children's education and the fact that so few of them are aware of the history of their own town is, frankly, shocking!

How can we expect them to have respect for cherised institutions, the rights of others and their responsibilities as citizens if we do not teach it to them?

I was wandering around Priestly Clough the other day and came out behind Hollins School. What a mess! Despite all the rote learning about preserving the environment, and the school's signing up to the Council's recycling drive, the area at the back of the school is a sea of discarded sweetwrappers plastic pop bottles and metal drinks cans. But then, it's all very well trying to teach kids to be clean and tidy but what else do you do with an empty crisp packet when there isn't a rubbish bin in sight?

It is the apparent disassociation from the values and ethics of the community that is seen in
many children that I find truly worrying.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 27-03-2005 at 07:08.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 08:35   #33
Senior Member+

Very true, even where there are rubbish bins provided, kids don't use them, even some adults at that. The empty crisp bag, chip paper, can, whatever is just discarded on the floor, leave it for someone else to clean up.That seems to be the modern trend.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 08:38   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
she did..

WALLPAPER pmsl
HaHa, suppose she got the marker pens from £land as well

Albert Einstein.

Old 27-03-2005, 09:07   #35
Resident Waffler

We remarked upon the rubbish littering the canal banks yesterday when we were out on our walk.

Whatever happened to "if there is no bin take your rubbish home with you" ?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 09:43   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
We remarked upon the rubbish littering the canal banks yesterday when we were out on our walk.

Whatever happened to "if there is no bin take your rubbish home with you" ?
Agree with that, how many times have you seen a group of kids, from the small 4/5 year old to the teens eating crisps or drinking from cans or bottles whilst walking down the street. On finishing eating or drinking they have just thrown the "empties" in the gutter. Well someone else will clean it up.

As you said, we were always taught to take our rubbish home if there were no bins.

On saying that how many times have you seen articles thrown from car windows. And how many times do you see black bags or old furniture at the side of a country road, now that is something I cannot understand, why drive so far out to dump your rubbish, when we have the recycle centre on whinney hill, its open 7 days a week, and there is always someone there to lend a hand to unload your rubbish.

Albert Einstein.

Old 27-03-2005, 09:48   #37

A complaint often heared from young people is that they are bored with nothing to do!
With a skate park, playing fields ,youth centres,cinemas, bowling ,swimming baths and sports centre available,I would say that boredom like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 10:13   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman
A complaint often heared from young people is that they are bored with nothing to do!
With a skate park, playing fields ,youth centres,cinemas, bowling ,swimming baths and sports centre available,I would say that boredom like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I would not say that is justification for littering our streets with crisp, chip bags, cans and bottles.

Albert Einstein.

Old 27-03-2005, 10:32   #39

Red face Re: Respect, or rather the lack of it.

Nor would I Park;littering of our streets and recreational areas is only another sign of the lack of respect that some people(not just youngsters) have for others and their property.
There is no easy answer,it's too late the lunatics now rule the asylum!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 10:37   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman
There is no easy answer,it's too late the lunatics now rule the asylum!
That's true we have two generations of the lunatics, and a third on the way

Albert Einstein.

Old 27-03-2005, 10:59   #41

The fact is that people have rights,children have rights,they don't respect others but "they know their rights!" I blame "do gooders" who don't live in the real world and quite simply will find out that their daft ideas about "rights" are wrong when these kids grow up to be adults and have kids of their own! Why should I respect people that don't care about anything other than themself?

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 12:32   #42
I am Banned

i cant take my son to the park because the area sectioned of for children a gatty park is covered in glass , dog crap and puke

also the childrens activity thing smells of urine so theres no way in hell my son is playing on that

anyone else remember the days when it was conisdered wrong to pi$$ on the childrens play things

Last edited by chav1; 27-03-2005 at 12:34.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 12:42   #43
white rabbits

i was fuming the other day ,when someone leaned out of their car and emptied the contents of a full ashtray all over the pavement ,when i commented on it all i got was, (quote )mind your own business nosey bitch...

that is today,s society
Old 27-03-2005, 16:18   #44
Senior Member+

I don't recall ever seeing anything about anyone getting fined for littering;how on earth are litterbugs ever caught?
Old 27-03-2005, 16:33   #45
Senior Member+

The broken glass has now been swept up, it was done last weekend by the community warden team. There was 6 of them. I could not believe my eyes seeing so many of them.
They did not bother with the glass in the tennis courts or that near the entrance to the park.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..