Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2006, 18:23   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Rose coloured criticism.

Billcat, just because you are critical it doesn't mean you don't care or love something. You comment, and see what's wrong, because you care.

Trust me on this one, this area was a hell of a lot better thirty years ago.

It's a bit like parenting.

If you tell your little darling they are clever/wonderful/talented, that is good, and will build their self confidence.

If you tell them they are going to be the next Einstein/Picasso/RobbieWilliams, most of them will grow up delusional, and be in need of a life time of therapy.

It's called tough love.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2006, 18:26   #32
Resident Waffler

If you tell them they could do with improving their handwriting it does tend to make them try harder and show an improvement too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 19:00   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
And you've just proven my point - instead of adding to the list, you've picked it apart and picked up on the negative elements. I rest my case!
Excuse me Gayle, I didn't pick at your list I just asked for clarification about ossy cloggers. So far as I know they where disbanded a few years ago, (thinking about it at least five years ago), if however you can tell me they have reformed then that is indeed good news.

Those young ladies used to give great pleasure dancing for visitors and they also used to enjoy going off to other parts of the country and indeed such places as Germany and America, they were always proud to represent where they came from.

So it would be good news if they are now back up and running, but I fear that won't be the case.

Just thought I'd better add a quick apology to the young men that were also in the cloggers, (you were always being overlooked weren't you lads?), they would work hard as well dancing their feet off for the crowds!

Last edited by Less; 20-10-2006 at 19:22.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 19:51   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Foxhill Nature Reserve - a hidden gem and we could so easily have similar in Accy but haven't
actualy its not the gem you would be led to believe , i took my son there to feed the ducks and it is dirty , unkept and not realy safe for a small child to be near

if they put gravel down so that you wernt wading through mud to get to the ducks it wouldnt be so bad and my sons cloths were covered in black from where he rubbed against the remains of whatever it was that was set fire to, it seems as though it is either been constantly vandalised or just not repaired at all .

before you even get to the ducks you have to negotiate through a mine filed of whatever has been fly tipped ,broken bottles and empty beer cans

apart from that we had fun feeding the ducks
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 19:58   #35
Resident Waffler

Oh well that just shows you it's a while since I was up there, must be 3 years at least, and it wasn't too bad then so I was taking Gayle's word for it that it was an asset to be proud of.

Old 20-10-2006, 20:03   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Oh well that just shows you it's a while since I was up there, must be 3 years at least, and it wasn't too bad then so I was taking Gayle's word for it that it was an asset to be proud of.
well its just like the issue with 11 parks i think it was said we had

the majority are run down and in a very sory state indeed but as usual money gets spent on stupid things rather thanbeen put to good use like maintaining what we have
Old 20-10-2006, 20:07   #37
Resident Waffler

Oakhill Park was once so beautiful and had lots to recommend it. And that's only in my lifetime. It's a shadow of its former self as ar they all.

One thing most if not all of the parks are short of is a loo. If you walk a fair old distance to a park and as soon as you get there the little ones cry out "Mum I want a weewee!" you then have to walk all the way back again. It's either go to the town centre toilets or go home!

Old 20-10-2006, 20:08   #38
Resident Waffler

Talking of toilets, why don't we have mirrors in our ladies loos in Accy?

Old 20-10-2006, 20:25   #39
Beacon of light

Most people if they use the public transport system will alight at the market......what a sorry sight that is. There are some very threadbare looking stalls and very many empty ones.....in fact there are mor occupied stalls for the Sunday and Thursday Flea Markets. OK, today there was the addition of a continental market, but the stuff was over priced and not the kind of stuff that makes up the staple shopping list of many of the people who live in the area....and Gayle, if this sounds like carping, then I'm sorry. I just tell it as I see it.
The Commercial area of the town is sad and tired....and I don't know where PB gets forty new shops from...they certainly aren't in the centre of town.
He was crowing about the new shop 'Officers Club' but 'Icon' closed so we haven't gained anything in real terms....O yes, there has been the recent opening of an amusement arcade....I don't think that will bring in the tourists. Oh yes and the Piggy Banc on Blackburn Road....a childrens arcade...again not much there for celebration. Subway was about the best of the bunch so far. I see that a shoe shop has plans for opening on Broadway too....a budget shoe shop....well it IS Accrington...so we mustn't expect anything too upmarket...goodness we couldn't stand the excitement.
Now if Primark was to be enticed into town then maybe there would be an influx of business from other neighbouring towns.
There are just so many empty shops that it looks to outsiders like the town is dead on its feet.
PB likes to think he is doing a good job...and because no-one else is giving him a pat on the back he has to do that job himself.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-10-2006 at 20:32.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 20:33   #40
Beacon of light

someone should tell him that self praise is no recommendation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 21:08   #41
God Member

If a bit of money and a little TLC was given to some of the places mentioned thn we wouldnt be too badley of. Unfortunately there seems to be no cash no incentive or any belief from those who can change it for the better to do anything. If some effort was put in Accy could start to recover even if it is somewhat slow and the fruits wont be seen for a few years. When it is decided to try and fix some of the issues and try and put us back on the map the town will be so far behind that when it does catch up other areas will be halfway throught the next portion of redevelopment.

The public needs to get behind what they want and push for change that benifits them their children and their grandchildren. All it would need is that little boot up the bahookie and then the ball will start rolling. Ok it will be an uphill struggle but if the outcome is what was campaigned for and is to the likeing of the majority then it would be worth it. As there is nothing constructive being done then it was always look grey and bleak with no hope of improvement. Lets try and return to the days of civic pride and then we will have plenty to be proud of and would be able without critism to brag about it.

HBC needs to have a long hard think about what it can do to improve the bourghs lot and do it with the help of those that live there and not via a consultancey with an expensive outside group. The money the could save by using a bit of gumption would be available for projects that need it and not in the pockets of what can be best discribed as "gold diggers" preying on dithering local authorities.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 22:57   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
actualy its not the gem you would be led to believe , i took my son there to feed the ducks and it is dirty , unkept and not realy safe for a small child to be near
Yes, I seem to remember the plastic bag, that your son's bread for the ducks was in, fell into the water, and you left it there.

Litter Lout.

Sorry for being critical.

Old 20-10-2006, 23:05   #43
Give, give, give member

Oh, I forgot, we can add one more make new business to PB's Top Forty list of new businesses.

There is the new, modern day pawn brokers.

You know the one?

In the new retail unit, in the passage from Broadway to the market?

The one you have to fight your way past, because there are always people queuing going in to sell knock off goods, so they can go and get their next fix.

Just the sort of people that we need.

Ah, the power of positive thinking.

Old 20-10-2006, 23:06   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Yes, I seem to remember the plastic bag, that your son's bread for the ducks was in, fell into the water, and you left it there.

Litter Lout.

Sorry for being critical.
the ducks got a packed lunch
Old 20-10-2006, 23:08   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
the ducks got a packed lunch
Yes and if I could have reached you in time, they would also have a Chavvy Snack.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..