Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2007, 17:02   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Rubbish Charges

I think you are all moaning about the refuse collectors when really it is only a small percentage of them at fault. I don't see them leaving things behind around here. It is also rare to see any mess afterwards. The day after we usually have the little road sweeper round making sure the place is nice and tidy.

You will probably find that most of the mess is caused by the householders with overflowing bins etc.
Old 30-10-2007, 17:03   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know a lot of you have trouble with the people who collect our waste/recycling, but the people who take mine away are excellent. There's even someone who comes round the next day, sweeping up anything that may have blown away. I think there must be different teams for the various parts of Hyndburn.
Ok so next time I will read all the post before I post

Maybe we just have a better class of bin man up Ossy.
Old 30-10-2007, 18:00   #33
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I wonder if Rindy & Neil's binmen are extra careful and helpful because they work within our glorious leader's own area. I can assure you that the binmen here in Peel & Milnshaw aren't quite as tidy.. However, I have never once had to tie my cardboard with string. I suppose I should be thankful for small mercys.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 20:37   #34

Don’t mean to wander off topic but who do our wheelie bins actually belong to. Once issued are they deemed to be our property?? If so, I can’t see any issues arising from cutting out any monitoring equipment.
If they remain the property of the council for the duration of their life cycle, should they not be the ones to disinfect the things and wash them out? I can’t be the only one who does this.
Old 30-10-2007, 20:49   #35
Resident Waffler

The bin men who collect from here often make a mess and it isn't cleaned up unless I phone in and complain.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 20:50   #36
God Member

Question time: What happens to the garbage after it is collected. I realize that space is at a premium in England; so, does the garbage go to landfills? Or is there some other way of getting rid of it? As an aside: in Kingston, each household is allowed to put out two garbage bags for the weekly collection (blue and grey boxes are picked up the same day). A third bag requires a tag, which can be bought at many local outlets. I do believe it costs a buck.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 21:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Question time: What happens to the garbage after it is collected. I realize that space is at a premium in England; so, does the garbage go to landfills? Or is there some other way of getting rid of it? As an aside: in Kingston, each household is allowed to put out two garbage bags for the weekly collection (blue and grey boxes are picked up the same day). A third bag requires a tag, which can be bought at many local outlets. I do believe it costs a buck.

As far as I am aware the stuff we can't recycle will go to a landfill site. That's what will go in our wheelie bins. We also have a white bag for paper, a blue bag for tins and plastic bottles, a blue box for glass (bottles, jars etc.)
Old 30-10-2007, 21:08   #38
Resident Waffler

Some of us also have a garden waste bin but we haven't one chez Whisp because the council reckons we don't have a garden.

Old 30-10-2007, 21:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Some of us also have a garden waste bin but we haven't one chez Whisp because the council reckons we don't have a garden.
Ask the council for a composter, apparently they were giving them away free. I found that out after I bought mine We live in a terrace but I have made our little garden, the compost helps out come spring and I compost just about everything I can eg. veg peelings, dead flowers (obviously) most of our junk mail gets shredded, even eggbox cartons and shredded toilet roll holders.
Old 30-10-2007, 21:18   #40
Resident Waffler

We had a compost bin when we had an allotment but now we no longer have it we just don't have anywhere to put one or anywhere to use the contents of one. Our front garden would be half compost bin and we have literally only a pathway to the back street from our back kitchen door. It's already crowded with the wheelie bin and other recycling containers.

Old 30-10-2007, 21:23   #41

Quote:
We had a compost bin when we had an allotment but now we no longer have it we just don't have anywhere to put one or anywhere to use the contents of one. Our front garden would be half compost bin and we have literally only a pathway to the back street from our back kitchen door. It's already crowded with the wheelie bin and other recycling containers.
There ought to be a test case where someone attempts to charge the council for storage of their clutter (if it's deemed to be theirs and not ours after being issued to us) It does get in the way, must admit.
Old 30-10-2007, 21:26   #42
Resident Waffler

At least we don't have to keep the wheelie bin at the front door like some people have to. I would hate that.

Old 30-10-2007, 21:33   #43

Quote:
At least we don't have to keep the wheelie bin at the front door like some people have to. I would hate that.
We dont either thank goodness, I hate having to carry all the other rubbish through the house to be collected. Lack of thought on the part of the council in my book. Do you know if the boxes and bins belong to us or are they still council property?
Old 30-10-2007, 21:40   #44
Resident Waffler

I think they are council property if we contemplate defacing them but our property if we lose them and need a new one.

We're lucky living near the end of a block, we can take the recycling stuff round outside. I don't allow drippy wet sacks to pass through the house.

Old 30-10-2007, 21:48   #45

Well if it come,s to that they would charge you for your rubbish a lot of people will fly tipping and then what will the back street,s be like.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..