Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

school leaving age!

Young people will be required to stay in school, training or workplace training until the age of 18.
The Department for Education and Skills has confirmed plans to raise the school leaving age - to be introduced by 2013. This will not mean that pupils have to stay in the classroom or continue with academic lessons - but they will have to continue to receive training.
im all for it! my son is will be 12 then so he will be one of em if it goes ahead!! someone commented too, does this mean no more joining the army at 16?? good question
Old 12-01-2007, 12:55   #2
I am Banned

Re: school leaving age!

Gawd my eldest will be in final year by then so would the xtra 2 years concurr after ???? it would cause my son more reason to sibling fight, he dont like school & him doing another 2 would be great for me but for him errr LOL!!!

Personally think its a great idea, how do kids know what to do with their life at 16 [erm ok they think they do ] i didnt & still dont LOL!!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:00   #3

I think this is a great idea. Teens will get use to the idea too. It also means that the education they will receive will be free. As long as there are opportunities to train and develop vocational skills if you want them.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:03   #4
Senior Member+

excellent idea!
great way to solve the skills shortage without bringing it in from elsewhere.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:05   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I think this is a great idea. Teens will get use to the idea too. It also means that the education they will receive will be free. As long as there are opportunities to train and develop vocational skills if you want them.

I was in the first year that copped the raising of the last school leaving age from 15 to 16

Can't imagine it will make much difference to be honest. I think a large percentage go on to college anyway, a few go straight to a job but an ever increasing number leave school before they should by being expelled and usually don't bother with that other swear word... work
Old 12-01-2007, 13:11   #6
Senior Member+

no plan is without its possible problems but it's a start
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:13   #7
I am Banned

Just asked my ill one off school aka the oldest ...erm that suggestion went down like a lead balloon worse when i said it was to start on the last year of school so wouldnt escape it & would have to do 2 years extra of school not impressed but i am wayhey pmsl!!
Old 12-01-2007, 13:17   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Just asked my ill one off school aka the oldest ...erm that suggestion went down like a lead balloon worse when i said it was to start on the last year of school so wouldnt escape it & would have to do 2 years extra of school not impressed but i am wayhey pmsl!!
Quite a coincidence with mine being in the same year as yours, how often would you find father and daughter being hit by the same change of legislation xx number of years apart !
Old 12-01-2007, 13:17   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
thats mean ..........................LOL cant wait to tell my kids!
Old 12-01-2007, 13:22   #10
Foreign Correspondent

Question - if these young folks who now leave school at an earlier age do not want to be in the classroom, might they be disruptive and slow/stop the progress of those students who DO wish to get an education?

While I am very much in favor of folks getting an education, after a certain age I don't think you can successfully force it on young people.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:23   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Quite a coincidence with mine being in the same year as yours, how often would you find father and daughter being hit by the same change of legislation xx number of years apart !
mmmm like father like daughter in many many ways then - a little scary heheheheehe
Old 12-01-2007, 13:25   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
thats mean ..........................LOL cant wait to tell my kids!

well i thought i'd test the youngs impression of the idea....... omg trust me even bright kids aint happy about it - i think i have made one child that was poorly anyway even more poorly now to a rapture of Noooooooooooooooooooooo im not blah blah ....shame it cant lose its voice Hummmmph
Old 12-01-2007, 13:27   #13

Quote:
Just asked my ill one off school aka the oldest ...erm that suggestion went down like a lead balloon worse when i said it was to start on the last year of school so wouldnt escape it & would have to do 2 years extra of school not impressed but i am wayhey pmsl!! Today 14:11

Brilliant legalised torture lol

I think it will give kids something to do instead of hanging round the streets, although the change wont happen overnight, or maybe not ever in some parts of the country!
I went to school where kids didnt leave until they were 18 and no one thought anything of it. They were given a freedom they didnt have before and treated with respect by teacher and students. They hd thier own place to hang out and they loved it. I know my daughter will, and if her school admits her until she's 18, it will save her from leaving her mates.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:29   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I think it will give kids something to do instead of hanging round the streets,
We used to have an alternative when I was younger, college or work. There was no 'I Am Cool' badge for being a dossing chav then
Old 12-01-2007, 13:32   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I was in the first year that copped the raising of the last school leaving age from 15 to 16
I don't think leaving was ever 15... I was 14 when I left school but wasn't legally able to work until I was 15 (about 2 weeks later) only a few kids from each year where chosen to stay on and form one 5th yr class to do there O levels as it was then. I wasn't one of em This was a secondry modern school as it was newly named after being a high school...

As mentioned.. now most go to colledge for an extra 2 yrs anyways and arn't looking for a job until 18ish at least.. my eldest daughter is nearly ending 3 yrs (finishes this term) at colledge and then looks likely to be going to uni.. with 100% destinctions over current course then its only down to her choice she will be early 20s before she looks for a job..

I look at 14 or 15 yr olds now and can't imagine them in full time employment.. sigh.. I guess thats age eh.. gramps and all

Last edited by KIPAX; 12-01-2007 at 13:35.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..