Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 23:57   #16

Re: School reunions

Never been one for keeping in touch. My parents moved quite a bit when I was a child so I had lots of schools.

When I left school I went in the Merchant Navy and so was only with the same colleagues for a few months, then moved on.

The last job I was in for 17 years, the company has now closed. I know that most of them keep in touch and they reckon I’m a bit of a bore for not keeping in touch and meeting up …they are just acquaintances in my book.

So, no. I don’t do the reunion thing.
Old 12-02-2009, 23:58   #17
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Some teachers earned respect - some didn't - it would be satisfying to let some of them know how miserably they failed
That was the main reason for my initial post I suppose. Didn't realise teachers didn't attend these reunions.

The one teacher I admired at school, even though I wasn't particularly good at it, was my music teacher in the first year, Miss Kay.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 08:29   #18
Senior Member+

The Old Boys Association of Accrington Grammar School meet for an annual dinner and we have just started to have a Spring social evenuing ( pie, peas & a slide show or talk)In addition to this, various small groups meet socially. We like each other's company and feel a bonding to the school. Teachers are welcomed, though few attend. Membership costs nowt. Very few elect not to be on the register,though many take no part in activities. The majority like to be told about their classmates and teachers. Everyone attending the events goes home having enjoyed the experience. Laughter abounds, as does an acceptance that punishments were necessary and mostly within the boundaries of fairness. I was recently asked ( I am Mem Sec for the Association and have made great efforts to find lads of my year ,'52) "How is it that you are so keen on school matters now, when you spent more time in the headmaster's office and detention than in the classroom?" I cannot fully answer, but it would involve pride and a late-coming realisation that I was given a wonderful opportunity in life by the school and its staff.

As an Association, we are currently discussing with council and education authority officials, ways in which we can do something beneficial for today's lads & lasses. If the plan comes to fruition, these youngsters will receive something educational and the
town will become a brighter place. I will keep you informed. Reunions are worthwhile.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 10:43   #19
Resting in Peace

Although there have been reunions for Holy Family I haven't been able to attend, mainly because of the same reason I am unable to attend A.W. meets. However, around 2 years ago I wrote a letter to the Obs regarding respect and how my generation respected or parents, teachers and the police and I went on to tell of the time I get an old school teacher some 20 years after leaving school, and I still addressed him as Sir, even in the pub we were in at the time. I actually named the teacher and said I respected him for how he had tried to put me on the straight and narrow, it was local historian Cliff Astin. the following wee I was sat watch the TV when the phone rang and it was Cliff himself, we chatted for about 30 minutes
Old 15-02-2009, 17:26   #20
Resting in Peace

Oh don't think I would like one.... I hated school, took me all my time to go when I had to, so would not want to go back now: I see the odd person from time to time and its strange seeing how older we all look: but its a no from me on this one:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 20:56   #21

I started at Accrington High in 1957, my year did organise a reunion several years ago, but I couldn't go as my daughter was getting married that day.

I can hazard a guess at which teacher you regard as a 'bully'.

I also rememeber being taught how to make a very fancy salad and several different types of cakes and puddings but can't remember making any main courses (unless you count macaroni cheese).

As for needlework at school, I remember making a cookery apron, that took all year to make, and some pyjamas that fell apart the first time I wore them. All the skills I eventually learned in needlework were what my Mum taught me, and my Auntie taught me to knit.
It was your sentence about salad that made me guess it was Accy High you went too, even before I got to the end of your post.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:21   #22
Resting in Peace

I have only been back to Holy Family once since I left that was about 18 years ago, and to be quite honest nothing seemed to have changed really, the only difference was that on this visit I had a brew in the Staff Room, can't say I have ever been tempted o go back again
Old 16-02-2009, 09:48   #23
Caz
God Member

Quote:
I can hazard a guess at which teacher you regard as a 'bully'.
Surname beginning with "T" ?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 13:42   #24
God Member

I would happily see everyone from school, especially the teachers. They all thought I was a lost cause (maybe I still am!) and I'm doing pretty good for myself now. More than satisfied at the moment anyway.

As for students, I seemed to always be the centre of some stupid joke and mockery but when it has come down to it, I've probably ended up one of the most successful in my year in regards to academia and career prospects. Maybe I'm not married and lugging around toddlers, but I'm fulfilled in much greater ways (in my opinion) so I think it'd be fine.

I don't really care much about the opinions of my past classmates and never did care much, so I'm not entirely sure I'd get much out of an evening with them.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
That is exactly who was thinking about.
Old 16-02-2009, 17:28   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Caz, will you please p.m. me with this name .. doing me head in .. on the tip of my tongue.

Know you are about 10 years behind me so may not remember Miss Salter ... English. Being interested in drama was always pulled out in class to do short scenes with her .. played Cleopatra to her Anthony LOL... she had big boobs so you had to use your imagination.

Miss Kay ... a sweetie.

I would love to go to a re-union to see what everyone has been up to over the last 50years. Had no issues with anyone there; although teachers gave up on me early. Think I missed my year .. can't understand how MargaretR has been to a few ?

I made pyjamas too Claytonender 'Baby Doll' ones in blue/white check seersucker .. don't think I ever wore them either .. full of bloodstains from constantly pricking me fingers .. had to hand sew them. ! French seams too.

Last edited by katex; 16-02-2009 at 17:32.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:32   #27
Caz
God Member

PM sent

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 17:34   #28
Caz
God Member

English, 1st 2 years, Miss Bullough, can't remember after that

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 17:34   #29

Katex - Which year did you start at the High School?

Do you remember Miss Scotney? She had the most complicated of making you swop papers after a class test, so you couldn't just give the paper to a friend in the next row to mark it.
Old 16-02-2009, 17:39   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Caz, will you please p.m. me with this name .. doing me head in .. on the tip of my tongue.

Know you are about 10 years behind me so may not remember Miss Salter ... English. Being interested in drama was always pulled out in class to do short scenes with her .. played Cleopatra to her Anthony LOL... she had big boobs so you had to use your imagination.

Miss Kay ... a sweetie.

I would love to go to a re-union to see what everyone has been up to over the last 50years. Had no issues with anyone there; although teachers gave up on me early. Think I missed my year .. can't understand how MargaretR has been to a few ?
The reunions I have been to have all been organised by one 'girl' in our year who took the trouble to keep track of us over the decades.
The first reunion was in the 90s - after 40 years!!!
She had scrapbooks which included newspaper clippings of our weddings and funerals etc. as well as school photos.
There were about 100 people to keep track of and the ones who now live abroad sent her letters which were read out.
An amazing feat of dedication on her part.
I was in a year ahead of you, even though we are the same age, because I passed the 10+ instead of the 11+ and went a year early

PS the name may be a sportmistress- 'beaky' who wore thick orange Panstick

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-02-2009 at 17:43.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..