Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 17:40   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: School reunions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
PM sent
Oh thank you, thank you, yes, that was her .. a bit bossy .. will sleep well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Katex - Which year did you start at the High School?

Do you remember Miss Scotney? She had the most complicated of making you swop papers after a class test, so you couldn't just give the paper to a friend in the next row to mark it.
Oh yes, Miss Scotney .. the History Dragon. Having said that the year I had her threw up my best marks ever. (After years of 20 >> 30%, got 60+ % . strange the things you remember LOL) She used to wrap you on the knuckles if you did not write the letter 'S' as she preferred it .. must have been an ego trip thing ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 17:51   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I started at Accrington High in 1957, my year did organise a reunion several years ago, but I couldn't go as my daughter was getting married that day.

I can hazard a guess at which teacher you regard as a 'bully'.

I also rememeber being taught how to make a very fancy salad and several different types of cakes and puddings but can't remember making any main courses (unless you count macaroni cheese).

As for needlework at school, I remember making a cookery apron, that took all year to make, and some pyjamas that fell apart the first time I wore them. All the skills I eventually learned in needlework were what my Mum taught me, and my Auntie taught me to knit.
It was your sentence about salad that made me guess it was Accy High you went too, even before I got to the end of your post.
Tell us more about the pajamas Maybe you could have made a fortune manufacturing self-destructing PJs
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:10   #33
God Member

I remember Miss Scotney's impromptu tests, where she would say 'give the reason why...', and gave you 2 mins to write it.
Then after the swopping of papers (as prev mentioned) for marking, would then spend 10 minutes providing ten reasons so that you only scored 1 out of 10 for each question
Terryfying wasn't it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:44   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thing i noticed, there was dragons n swine in every school back then, but all of you ive met aint suffered too much from it, ya all grown up good folk.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:47   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thing i noticed, there was dragons n swine in every school back then, but all of you ive met aint suffered too much from it, ya all grown up good folk.
xxxx Bless Cashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Tell us more about the pajamas
You getting to be a dirty old man Eric ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 19:55   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
xxxx Bless Cashy.

You getting to be a dirty old man Eric ?
I was born a dirty old man ... when I was young I was a dirty old man in training ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 20:02   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I was born a dirty old man ... when I was young I was a dirty old man in training ....
I consider your remarks very mild and amusing
There is a member here who offends me often - I do not think that you could ever stoop as low as he does

Old 16-02-2009, 20:05   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I consider your remarks very mild and amusing
There is a member here who offends me often - I do not think that you could ever stoop as low as he does
Name and shame Margrit?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 20:15   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

surprising thing is , it's the 'dragons and swines' who most of us look back and remember now as being the best teachers, whose stuff we still remember to this day , think they were the ones who had a genuine interest in trying through fair means or foul to knock an education into our skulls
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 20:15   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Name and shame Margrit?
Did Valantine get his leg over?
Ever done the 'Mile high' thing Margaret?

said in the last 8 days-
I could find and list more but choose not to make my evening cringeworthy

Old 16-02-2009, 20:27   #41
God Member

Quote:
Did Valantine get his leg over?
Ever done the 'Mile high' thing Margaret?

said in the last 8 days-
I could find and list more but choose not to make my evening cringeworthy
It's me...............Yipee..
Next time you come on with a one liner that you think is funny remember that I might not think it's funny.
By the same token what I think is funny might not appeal to your sense of humour, such is life. .
I could have come on stonger but I don't want to upset a lady.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 21:02   #42
God Member

Quote:
The reunions I have been to have all been organised by one 'girl' in our year who took the trouble to keep track of us over the decades.
The first reunion was in the 90s - after 40 years!!!
She had scrapbooks which included newspaper clippings of our weddings and funerals etc. as well as school photos.
There were about 100 people to keep track of and the ones who now live abroad sent her letters which were read out.
An amazing feat of dedication on her part.
I was in a year ahead of you, even though we are the same age, because I passed the 10+ instead of the 11+ and went a year early

PS the name may be a sportmistress- 'beaky' who wore thick orange Panstick
That girl sounds scary.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 21:03   #43
Senior Member+

i agree with blazey, thats slightly stalker-ish!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 21:18   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i agree with blazey, thats slightly stalker-ish!
I don't think there is a 'slightly' or 'ish' about it

Though today's technology allows you to keep a track on people with so much ease that I guess we are all guilty of it now. I personally think the effort put into cutting out things and keeping them all just seems odd though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 21:23   #45
God Member

She did rely on us telling her when we moved address so you could 'disappear' if you really wanted to, but if you had been to one of the reunions she would assume that you had overlooked doing it, and ask others that she knew were in recent touch with you, if they would pass the word that another reunion was pending.
None of us regarded it as stalking - she isn't a weirdo sort - no more weird than stamp collecting

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..