Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2007, 14:34   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Schoolgirls to receive cancer jabs

All girls aged 12 and 13 are to receive vaccinations against cervical cancer.
Schoolgirls in Year 8 will receive the jab in a programme which is expected to cost up to £100 million a year.
There will also be a two-year "catch-up" campaign starting in autumn 2009 for girls aged up to 18, costing up to £200 million a year.
This means girls aged 16 to 18 years (Years 12 and 13) will be offered the vaccine from autumn 2009.
Girls aged 15 to 17 years (Years 11 and 12) will be offered the jab from autumn 2010.
By the end of the catch-up campaign, all girls under the age of 18 should have been offered protection.

looks like my daughter will have to wait till 2009!!
wonder why they are not offering it all together??

anyway im all for it
Old 26-10-2007, 14:39   #2
God Member

Re: Schoolgirls to receive cancer jabs

What a brilliant idea, anything that reduces the chances of getting cancer can only be classed as a good move IMO.
Old 26-10-2007, 14:47   #3
God Member

A very good idea in my opinion. The vaccine is aimed at killing the papilloma virus which causes 99% of cervical cancers. This will stop thousands of women developing cervical cancer in later life.
Old 26-10-2007, 17:36   #4
God Member

i'm all for it too, it will be something similar to the rubella injection i think (if you know what i mean)
Old 26-10-2007, 17:38   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i'm all for it too, it will be something similar to the rubella injection i think (if you know what i mean)
It is on the same lines, a great step forward!!!
Old 26-10-2007, 17:49   #6
God Member

its excellent, my nan died of cervical cancer about 20 years ago, so it just shows how much research has improved since then
Old 26-10-2007, 17:53   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

just wonderingThinking2.gif, will the need for smear tests to be needed for these young girls as they get older?
Old 26-10-2007, 17:54   #8
God Member

Should think smear tests will still be done.
Old 26-10-2007, 18:30   #9
God Member

What a fantastic idea As having experience of the big CC this has to be a massive step in the right direction of eradicating this.

I'm well chuffed

Shame you can't have it when your older too

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 18:34   #10

yes i think that,s a good idar for them.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 18:50   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

wonder why they are not offering it all together??

anyway im all for it
Perhaps with it being a vaccine, (having, I imagine gone through several years of testing), it will take a while for them to produce enough to go around?

However I too am all for it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 19:16   #12
Resting in peace

Anything that can keep this obscene disease at bay should be grabbed with both hands.Billions of pounds are being spent developing new drugs to extend the lives of suffering Cancer patients,if you can stop it before it happens it will save fortunes on treating sufferers. Once Cancer strikes there is no way of stopping it coming back('sometime). I personally started 20 years ago in the Colon, after the 2nd major operation 70% of it was removed.It came back 9 months later in the left Lung, part of that was removed. It is now in my right Lung close to the heart, and now undergoing lousy Chemotherapy treatment.This may have been avoided if I had not refused 'chemo' after my second Colon operation, but I did not feel strong enough. I have had jump through hoops to get now, as I refused it when it had more chance of success. The Oncologist was up against my wife, from then on it was no contest. The moral to the tale is refuse nothing that may save or extend your life.
This is not a sympathy seeking letter as I do not need it,purely 'educational' I love a good scrap "SO IT IS STILL NO QUARTER ON ANY SITE I'M ON"
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 20:21   #13
Senior Member+

Thinks its brill, shame its not for older peeps as well, having just had lazer treatment for the second time ! Deffo coming back as a man next time.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 21:21   #14
God Member

Just been on the news, smear tests will still be the norm.
Old 26-10-2007, 22:27   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm all for any vaccination against any disease so this gets my vote.

I heard, a long time ago, that cervical cancer is almost unknown in nuns and Jewish women. We can draw our own conclusions from that, I think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..