Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2006, 11:37   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Seasonal Affected Depression

We are approaching that time of the year when time is messed around with and the SAD syndrome rears its head – allegedly.

At 2:00am BST on Sunday 29th October the clocks will be put back one hour to 1:00am GMT and if those with all the ologies are to be believed many people will become SAD. How come they weren’t SAD on the 28th?

SAD is a recently recognised phenomenon but time has been with us since, well when time began and no one complained in that time.

So what is SAD? Rather than reproduce the whole article here can I point the reader to http://www.nosad.org/

Is this just another ploy to force the country into adopting European time all year round?
Old 25-10-2006, 13:00   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Seasonal Affected Depression

Why don't you spend the next winter in Finland, and report back to us in March next year, as to how it may have affected your mood?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 13:22   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Seasonal Affected Depression

Oh! Yes! Very sharp garinda! In any case they do have the Internet in Finland so your suggestion wouldn’t bear any fruit. Not that I would go to Finland. Too cold for me.

According to what I have just heard on the wireless the Fins do not suffer from SAD and they can go for months in twilight.

To the best of my knowledge I have never suffered from SAD. During the first 18 months of my working life down a pit (Scaitcliffe after training at Bank Hall, Burnley) I never saw daylight let alone the sun for five days a week during the winter months. It was almost the same story during a period in the navy up in the north Atlantic. It was too cold and dangerous to go up on deck so it was weeks on end down below. I didn’t notice anyone cracking up or being miserable.

May this SAD thing isn’t so much the lack of sunlight but the dreary life some people lead because they are so down trodden that makes them miserable?
Old 25-10-2006, 13:28   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
According to what I have just heard on the wireless the Fins do not suffer from SAD and they can go for months in twilight.
Try retuning your knob.

Entrez PubMed

Old 25-10-2006, 13:38   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

I obviously misheard.
Old 25-10-2006, 13:47   #6
Give, give, give member

Appology gratefully accepted.

Old 25-10-2006, 14:59   #7

I must be suffering from SAD early this year. Have just spent the day doing a bit of retail therepy in Manchester which i enjoyed. But what can i do on Monday when i get the full blown effect from SAD. (I've no money left) lol

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 15:04   #8
Senior Member+

I used to work on a three shift system. Whilst on a week of 10pm - 6am, we would often have to work over time so our shift were actually 6pm - 6am. During the week it would be very rare that i saw daylight, this used to drive me mental.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 15:07   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
I must be suffering from SAD early this year. Have just spent the day doing a bit of retail therepy in Manchester which i enjoyed. But what can i do on Monday when i get the full blown effect from SAD. (I've no money left) lol
Now sara that is sad, it is so sad that I can no longer continue with this post, Oh I'm so sad, sad, sad!

Actually I don't believe in SAD some of us are depressed and depressing 24/7 for the full 365!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 15:07   #10
Give, give, give member

It's hardly rocket science. We get vitamins from sunlight, if they are denied we suffer the consequences.

Apparently sunshine's good for your teeth too, which should make you smile.

Sunshine Vitamin D - Sunshine vitamin brightens smiles

Old 25-10-2006, 20:08   #11

Light therapy? A lot of people find that helpful. Personally, I am not given to sadness or depression.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 20:12   #12
Resident Waffler

I find I'm a lot more cheerful on a sunny day. That goes for sunny winter days too and on dull summer days when it's pelting down with rain it seems as gloomy as winter.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 20:31   #13
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Why don't you spend the next winter in Finland, and report back to us in March next year, as to how it may have affected your mood?
Interesting comment. I have often thought it might be nice to spend the period from November-March in the Southern Hemisphere, ensuring plenty of sunlight during our winter. Can't imagine living in those short winter days in Finland, although I love the long summer evenings and sunny early mornings when I visit the UK during the months between May and July!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 20:39   #14
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Did a quick Google on Seaonal Affective Disorder Finland. Per the internet, there appears to be a rather high incidence of SAD in both Finland and Scandinavia.

Old 25-10-2006, 20:51   #15
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
Light therapy? A lot of people find that helpful. Personally, I am not given to sadness or depression.
Hi Barb,

Maybe you are fortunate in your personality.

SAD is rare south of 30 degress north latitude, but is far more prevalent much further north. That's not far from the latitude in Georgia. Maybe where you live is helping out a bit? Also, it would not surprise me to find that folks from milder parts of the climate, like the Southern US, have a far better oppoortunity to get outside during the winter and enjoy what sunshine they have. When I was in college in New Hampshire, staying warm generally earned a higher priority than getting sunlight.

Probably helps account for why Caribbean cruises are such big draws during the winter!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..