Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2006, 21:00   #1
God Member

Second Life

I've been reading about Second Life for a few weeks. It's basically a way of having the life that you want - the fantasy life.

Anyone on here a member?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2006, 22:20   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Second Life

Never heard of it before Gayle, so checked it out

I was a little perturbed when asked for my credit card details in order to receive linden dollars to spend

Anyway, they give the option of not giving these details BUT! when I got to the bit where I am asked to d/load "second life client" I decided to back out! Have YOU joined?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linden dollars.jpg (122.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-10-2006, 22:30   #3
Always EVIL within us

OMG! When I joined (for free) with a user name, I tried to view the forum, and this is what greeted me:

We do not have credit card information on file for your account. You must add a credit card to your account by updating your payment information below. Be sure to click the Save Changes button when you are done.

Credit Card Information

Credit Card: -- Please Choose -- Visa MasterCard American Express JCB
Card Number:
Expiration Date: -

Name on Card:
Security Code:
The Card Security Code (CSC) is a 3- or 4-digit number printed on your credit card.

Your Billing Address

Address (Line 1):
Address (Line 2):
City:
State/Province:
Zip/Postal Code:
Please notify me via email when my credit card is billed.

Can I borrow your credit card Gayle just so that I can view the forum? please
Old 29-10-2006, 23:08   #4
Resident Waffler

Hmm I think I'll pass on paying out real money in order to get some virtual money to live a virtual life.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 07:19   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I'll give it a miss if it's asking for credit card details but I do have a question...

Why would anyone want a second life?

This life is difficult enough and although your second life is virtual and allows you to do all of the things you really want to do, shouldn't we be concentrating on what we want to do in our real lives???

The way that I see it is that life is what you make of it. Nobody else is responsible for our happiness, we are responsible for our own and how we cope with the ups and downs of life.

I like my life and have had a few ups and downs but I have always bounced back from the downs as a stronger person. I think I'll give the option of a second life a miss and concentrate on the life I have now. It may not be perfect but it's real and it's mine..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 07:21   #6
Give, give, give member

I read it too.

Sounds a right load of old tripe.

Why bother, when you can be whoever you want to be on the virtual life that is Accy Web?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:03   #7
God Member

I think I will just concentrate on getting my life virutally right rather than trying a virtual one!!! get my drift

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:49   #8
God Member

I was interested enough to sign up a few weeks ago. You dont need a credit card to sign up for the free account to see what its like (although im not sure if I added my paypal account when I signed up as identification, either way you are not charged unless you buy ingame money.)

I really havnt ventured far enough to see what its like, the Linux client is.. buggy to say the least.

Have you tried signing up without a card? Im sure it says you can add one later you just dont get the bonus amount of ingame money?
Old 30-10-2006, 10:47   #9
Resident Waffler

It appears that you can sign up without a card but can't get on the forum without one. To have to give your card details just to get on a forum seems a bit iffy. I'll stick to AccyWeb.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 12:36   #10
God Member

They have about 1.25million people signed up and after the huge articles I've read about it in lately I'm sure it will increase. Haven't joined myself - I only just have enough time for this life, can't find time for another one.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 12:57   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Second Life

I haven’t finished with my first life yet so I’m not interested in a second one, virtual at that.

In any case I can have a second life in my head if I want to. At least in my ‘head’ life not only do I have control of the life that I would lead, I could also control those that share it.

But it is always useful to read about these strange sites, so thanks Gayle.
Old 30-10-2006, 14:27   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It appears that you can sign up without a card but can't get on the forum without one. To have to give your card details just to get on a forum seems a bit iffy. I'll stick to AccyWeb.
Its a game not a forum?? :S
Old 30-10-2006, 14:52   #13
Give, give, give member

This is the article about it I read in yesterday's Observer.

I read it, and came to the conclusion that I'm not quite as sad as I thought.

Tim Adams steps inside Second Life | Review | The Observer

Last edited by garinda; 30-10-2006 at 14:56.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 15:46   #14
God Member

Quote:
People are people,' Nerd, a balding avatar in a Monty Python T-shirt, says. 'Relationships in SL aren't that different from relationships in RL to me ... It's all about honesty. Romances happen very quickly and intensely on SL as in RL and then burn out a little quicker.'
Oh dear....
Old 30-10-2006, 16:29   #15
God Member

Well it looks fun to me, if I could run the programme I'd be joining it (don't ask my pc is a dinosaur!) It just looks like an online Sims type game. Any fan of Sims like me would probably love it. Get my pc sorted and I'l be a second life saddo no probs!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..