Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2007, 23:15   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Secret Troughs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
What do you mean?

Pretty much how you said it! A majority of people, say public, shouldn't be able to make decisions that benefit them whilst working against minorities that can't have a say because there ain't enough of them. What im trying to say is the majority might have a decision, but that doesn't mean its the right decision for the country.
agreed, but way back in 64, i doubt very much if the public would have voted to do-away with the death penalty.
Old 30-05-2007, 23:20   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agreed, but way back in 64, i doubt very much if the public would have voted to do-away with the death penalty.

1964 or today, everytime they take a poll on it, Joe Public always wants the death penalty brought back.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 23:23   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
1964 or today, everytime they take a poll on it, Joe Public always wants the death penalty brought back.
true but was it not a minority of the minority in 64?
Old 30-05-2007, 23:30   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
What do you mean?

Pretty much how you said it! A majority of people, say public, shouldn't be able to make decisions that benefit them whilst working against minorities that can't have a say because there ain't enough of them. What im trying to say is the majority might have a decision, but that doesn't mean its the right decision for the country.
Does this mean that the majority of folks who dont want to ride in a taxi driven by a convicted sex offender can have no say in the matter when a minority of the community (members of the council sub-committee) decides its ok , and infact the councillors are doing there civic duty by protecting the rights of a minority (in this case sex offenders)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 08:24   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Does this mean that the majority of folks who dont want to ride in a taxi driven by a convicted sex offender can have no say in the matter when a minority of the community (members of the council sub-committee) decides its ok , and infact the councillors are doing there civic duty by protecting the rights of a minority (in this case sex offenders)
No it doesn't. What I said was not exclusive, the majority can be right too.

As a matter of interest the councilors in question still got elected again didn't they?
Old 31-05-2007, 16:16   #36

[quote=Cyfr;430690]What do you mean?

re the textbooky comment cyfr. all im trying to say is that the country isnt goverend in the manner that textbooks suggest. the gov is in many ways the public relations front for the powers that actually run the country. There is a bigger picture
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 16:40   #37
God Member

We were not discussing that though so I never mentioned it. I could give you a nice long essay on where power lies, but this is a forum not an exam.

I still don't understand the textbook bit though. The power/influence of people is still documented in textbooks....
Old 31-05-2007, 16:58   #38

yeah i could too cyfr but as say were not discussing it
the textbook comment :from your posts it just seems that youv gained a lot of knowledge from textbooks without having a real passion for your own opinion. thats just what im thinking intuitively perhaps im wrong. like i said im not patronising you its just what seems to come across.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 17:04   #39
God Member

Well considering it was an opinion combined with knowledge then I guess I wasn't being textbooky.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..