Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2007, 02:49   #1
Resting in Peace

Share a thought for the troops and their families at this time of year

A letter that was posted on another forum that we are members of and just thought that maybe others would like to see this message for our troops and their families.....

A CHRISTMAS MESSAGE TO OUR TROOPS

FROM

David Godfrey

Monday, 17 December 2007

Dear comrades of Daniel and fellow servicemen and women.

In any family home Christmas is a time of giving, and receiving of presents given in love, it is a time for being together as a family to share and be a part in that families love and happiness.

For many today that time will not be possible, because of great distances and countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan you cannot be a part of such a family gathering. As a family we think of those families who like us have either lost a loved one, or who has a son or daughter, mum or dad, husband or wife brought home to the United Kingdom seriously injured.

Each one has been joined together as though they are part of our own family and we extend our love to every single one. We too think of all of our brave hearts currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan this Christmas time, for we know that you are in a place where you would rather not be, but your duty and your courage and beliefs prevent you from being with your own loved ones and for this great courage we salute you.

You carry a heavy weight on your shoulders but your strength of character carries that weight as though it were a feather because you, our servicemen and women have got, like Daniel had, a heart that cares, a heart that beats for humanity in all our guises and creeds.

We think of you as you carry out that duty, which is also a duty of care because we know in our hearts that that is what you do, what you have been trained to do, and it is that duty that makes you what you are, be it soldier, sailor or airmen, you are an elite, a force for good, for good always triumphs over evil.

Many times how you must have thought, “What do the folks back home think?” “Are they really supporting us?” “Does anybody really care?”

I would like to put your mind at rest on those questions that trouble you, and I know they do trouble you, greatly, because I have asked those very same questions of myself, many times over. What I can say to you today though, as together we as a united family will struggle to live through this first Christmas without Daniel being with us is this, “You should have been in my home town of Cullompton and seen the care and respect shown for Daniel on the day he was lain to rest” There the world saw the respect and love of a community who came out in their hundreds to mourn the passing of this hero of Cullompton and the Rifles Regiment.

Know this dear friends, that the people of this country truly do care in their hearts for you, they like I and my family, feel your pain and sorrows, and they want you to know that very deeply.

There is an old saying that you may not know which goes, “Give a little, and gain a lot” How daily we see all of you give so much yet you seem to gain so little in return for the sacrifices you make.

You will no doubt have been on the receiving end of the true British feelings as you have begun to receive the parcels and packets sent out there to you all by many people from around this country. From rich and poor, military and non military families, friends and neighbours alike have chosen this special way to show you their love.

All those who have donated have “given a little” but how much we, the British people have gained in return, the love we feel that flows from your hearts fills us with pride.

I am so proud and pleased that my fellow countrymen and women have responded so valiantly in their support for you this Christmastime, and I know to a man that they would, like me, want to say to you, “a very merry Christmas, be safe and be happy”

A new year is all but around the corner and with it comes our hope that for you it will be a new beginning of the end of this conflict you face, one in which you have held fast to your strengths and beliefs and for that as a man we are proud of you all.

Take heart comrades of Daniel, that the great British public are behind you, and many voices are speaking out for you daily in the ears of government for change, a change for the better, for better conditions and equipment, and for a safe and speedy return to these welcoming shores.

May the God of love bless you and keep you safe in his hands always.

David Godfrey
Grandad of Daniel Lee Coffey killed in Basra protecting his comrades. 27th February 2007

WE WILL NEVER FORGET HIS AND YOUR COURAGE AND LOYALTY TO THIS COUNTRY.

Last edited by Ber999T; 21-12-2007 at 02:49. Reason: typo
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2007, 03:13   #2
God Member

Re: Share a thought for the troops and their families at this time of year

forwarded on to all American addresses in my address book
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 05:50   #3
Resting in Peace

Thanks SJ for that and before anyone jumps down my throat I just don't mean the Troops but all members of the Armed Services serving overseas at this time of year
Old 21-12-2007, 07:56   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yep its good to remember all the lads out where the troubles are,at xmas.
Old 21-12-2007, 12:01   #5
white rabbits

I will drink a toast to that
Old 22-12-2007, 15:56   #6
Resting in Peace

Just as a side note people are being asked to light a candle at midday and to toast the Armed Forces at 14:00.
Old 22-12-2007, 20:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
Just as a side note people are being asked to light a candle at midday and to toast the Armed Forces at 14:00.

well my candle is ready and im waiting to toast ,
asked all the family to arrive no later that 1pm xmas day to make sure they,re all here.

must admit i will be raising a glass to my son as soon as the turkey goes in till i drop ( hehehe)
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 17:20   #8

Very moving letter that. Means a lot to me as i could be over there myself this time next year. (Sent my application of interest form yesterday).
Old 24-12-2007, 18:14   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
must admit i will be raising a glass to my son as soon as the turkey goes in till i drop ( hehehe)
Guess the Turkey will have to be on a low heat so that t don't burn LOL

We both hope you son is keeping well and getting some of the parcels that have been collected throuhout the country.

Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and hopefully a very happy new year when your son get home on R&R.
Old 24-12-2007, 18:25   #10
God Member

Best wishes to anyone who has family serving overseas this crimbo
Old 25-12-2007, 20:13   #11
God Member

A very moving and uplifting letter indeed. At all times, but at this time of the year especially, I wish all the best to the British and American troops who are in harms way. And I wish for their quick, safe return to their homes and their loved ones. And a special thought for the men and women, all French Canadians, of Canada's Royal 22nd Regiment in Kandahar.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2007, 23:25   #12
Give, give, give member

It must be hard for the families of those serving overseas in dangerous countries, and I hope things like this help them understand that the people back home support them.

Whatever the politics behind warfare, the men and women at the frontline deserve are respect and gratitude, and our best wishes for a safe new year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..