Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2012, 07:22   #76
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Sir! Would you like a milkshake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
it could be that in this case the staff may not have been adequately protected or trained to deal with disruptive pupils.
If it could be the case then the system has let both the pupil and the teacher down and rather than correct their mistakes they used the teacher as a scapegoat for their own shortcomings surely?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2012, 14:42   #77
Senior Member+

Anne, I appreciate your honesty in putting forward your opinions but I believe you are so, so wrong.
You have been in your career 30 years. To me your views totally reflect the all pervasive political correctness which is pulling our society down.
A child's rights don't come first, to the exclusion of all common sanity- the rights of the society we live in,our way of civilised life, come first.
The weakness of your arguments are shown when you start bringing up Child P and Victoria Climbie- acts of sheer wickedness by adults against harmless small children. You bracket a teacher who has a milk shake thrown over him and stops a teenager(probably as big as him) from throwing a chair at him without causing him any physical harm with them- you insult that teacher.
As I said, when I was young there were plenty of wild kids about, some had never seen their fathers and when they came home from the war the boys resented the father figure imposed on them for the first time and reacted badly.
However, whatever the problems at home we all knew the rules in school existed and would be imposed and respected. Now we have a different set of rules-children are supreme even if they are uncontrolled anarchists. What do you think happens to general discipline in a school where a teacher is suspended, perhaps fired, for trying to control a teenager without even harming him? The boy becomes a hero to his peers, the remaining teachers must be totally castrated.
You accept there are very few people you have been able to influence- once whole schools of teenagers were influenced to accept good behaviour, discipline, respect, even if they didn't particularly enjoy school.
Therefore your system,imposed on you or gladly practised, is a failure and our teenagers are growing up paying the price.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-10-2012 at 14:44.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 14:44   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Spot on Gordon.
Old 14-10-2012, 16:32   #79
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Anne, I appreciate your honesty in putting forward your opinions but I believe you are so, so wrong.
The man makes a valid & balanced counter argument & I'd sooner go with his version than yours Anne, maybe it's just an age/upbringing related aspect ?
Old 14-10-2012, 17:10   #80
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The man makes a valid & balanced counter argument & I'd sooner go with his version than yours Anne, maybe it's just an age/upbringing related aspect ?
Me too.
Old 14-10-2012, 17:15   #81
God Member

Well said Gordon, great post
Old 14-10-2012, 17:57   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
You have been in your career 30 years. To me your views totally reflect the all pervasive political correctness which is pulling our society down.
A child's rights don't come first, to the exclusion of all common sanity- the rights of the society we live in,our way of civilised life, come first.
The weakness of your arguments are shown when you start bringing up Child P and Victoria Climbie- acts of sheer wickedness by adults against harmless small children. You bracket a teacher who has a milk shake thrown over him and stops a teenager(probably as big as him) from throwing a chair at him without causing him any physical harm with them- you insult that teacher.
As I said, when I was young there were plenty of wild kids about, some had never seen their fathers and when they came home from the war the boys resented the father figure imposed on them for the first time and reacted badly.
However, whatever the problems at home we all knew the rules in school existed and would be imposed and respected. Now we have a different set of rules-children are supreme even if they are uncontrolled anarchists. What do you think happens to general discipline in a school where a teacher is suspended, perhaps fired, for trying to control a teenager without even harming him? The boy becomes a hero to his peers, the remaining teachers must be totally castrated.
You accept there are very few people you have been able to influence- once whole schools of teenagers were influenced to accept good behaviour, discipline, respect, even if they didn't particularly enjoy school.
Therefore your system,imposed on you or gladly practised, is a failure and our teenagers are growing up paying the price.
Hey ... I can agree with this ... and I taught for a long time too. I have taught at every level from kindergarten to graduate school. I particularly agree that the system is failing: it's failing teachers, students, and society. And all the pc bs going on in schools, and in society in general, is the major cause of this failure. It's ironic that we can't allow students to fail, but seem blind to the fact that the whole system is failing. The system (and I don't like to think of education as a "system"; but that's a whole 'nother argument) treats kids as fragile, sensitive, and susceptible to psychological and emotional damage. Wrong. They are wiley, manipulative, and cruel to their teachers and to their peers. They need discipline. I'm not talking Dr. Richard Busby discipline here, but firm guidelines, reasonable consequences for anti-social behavior. Rather than express concern about the reasonable actions of a teacher faced with a violent teen, we should be attempting to solve the problems surrounding bullying, especially cyber-bullying. These fragile, impressionable, sensitive little darlings are driving some of their more vulnerable peers to suicide while society worries about the potential dangers of conkers.

B.C. teen's suicide nets hundreds of tips to police - British Columbia - CBC News

For some reason, I find this far more troubling than some stressed out teacher using minimal physical restraint on some violent, out of control asshole teen moron.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:45   #83

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
These fragile, impressionable, sensitive little darlings are driving some of their more vulnerable peers to suicide while society worries about the potential dangers of conkers.

B.C. teen's suicide nets hundreds of tips to police - British Columbia - CBC News
Yeah, some of our tabloids are running links to it too mate..tragic

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..