Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2010, 23:34   #1

So much for saving money.

BBC News - UK gives £40m to UN disaster fund

I could of swore we were all supposed to be tightening our belts???
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2010, 23:37   #2

Re: So much for saving money.

As far as I am concerned charity starts at home.
Old 25-12-2010, 23:39   #3
Senior Member+

Has the U.K received anything back in return ? Nothing .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 23:43   #4
God Member

camerons given over 75 million to pakistan alone since getting into power and now this as well

where are all these millions coming from that we supposedly dont have ?

oh yeah its money taken from us im glad to see all these cut backs are funding somthing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 00:06   #5
God Member

Strange that the media have not had this on the front pages.. if this was last november it would have been front page news..first item on the BBC and plastered all over this site by the daily mail paper boy...this government have spent and borrowed the most in history..but it's all labours fault.
UK Government Borrowing Higher Than Expected In November At Record £23.3bn | Business | Sky News

Last edited by Mancie; 26-12-2010 at 00:11.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:52   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Strange that the media have not had this on the front pages.. if this was last november it would have been front page news..first item on the BBC and plastered all over this site by the daily mail paper boy...this government have spent and borrowed the most in history..but it's all labours fault.
UK Government Borrowing Higher Than Expected In November At Record £23.3bn | Business | Sky News
You can't undo what was put in motion last april you divvy
Old 26-12-2010, 09:36   #7
God Member

so this country is borrowing money and cameron is giving it away?

thats the equivalent of taking out a bank loan and giving it to a tramp.Its bad enough giving money away but borrowing money to give away is obsurd.

i dont have a buissness degree and i can see thats bad buisness so why cant these so called experts ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:51   #8

I have no problem with aid being given to Haiti. It's a very poor country that has had a very bad time just recently. But, why are we giving emergency aid to Pakistan when they can afford to develop not only advanced missile systems, but also Nuclear weapons systems.
Old 27-12-2010, 17:55   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by setayas View Post
I have no problem with aid being given to Haiti. It's a very poor country that has had a very bad time just recently. But, why are we giving emergency aid to Pakistan when they can afford to develop not only advanced missile systems, but also Nuclear weapons systems.
The above is one of the main reasons I do have a problem with us giving aid, why do we assist Countries that obviously spend their money on such items then scream for aid when a natural disaster hits their unfortunate poor? Rather than them looking after these people?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 10:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The above is one of the main reasons I do have a problem with us giving aid, why do we assist Countries that obviously spend their money on such items then scream for aid when a natural disaster hits their unfortunate poor? Rather than them looking after these people?
Seems we agree on this one Less, by all means help countries who are in need but if you can join the space race or develop nuclear power your on your own as far as I'm concerned
Old 28-12-2010, 19:54   #11
God Member

Difficult one this, considering Pakistan are at war with India ( officially at least) then if we were at war with someone would you support cut backs in our defence/supplies? the world is a far more complex place than just saying they have nuclear capability so we shouldn't give them aid.

On teh flip side I agree wholeheartidly that we should be cutting our cloth accordingly, we are skint, tax is increasing so we must be very careful about how we spend what money we have.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 20:09   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
then if we were at war with someone would you support cut backs in our defence/supplies?
The big difference between us and Pakistan and India is that WE'RE not receiving overseas aid from anyone. In fact, as far as I can see, we're doling out money we haven't got left, right and centre in the form of foreign aid, loans to Eire and the huge amounts we hand over to the totally corrupt and wasteful EU. I'm happy to hand over money to help people who are starving to death, but I'm sure as hell not prepared to fund somebody's nuclear arms race.
Old 28-12-2010, 20:31   #13
God Member

see my second paragraph....

you also dont look at the aid in the mechanism of anti terrorist support(which some of it is there to support) with Pakistan really struggling in the world order to prove its not a hot bed of terrorist activity, take that aid away and they wont have any funds to fight it and the place will churn out nutters faster than you can count em.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 20:46   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you also dont look at the aid in the mechanism of anti terrorist support(which some of it is there to support) with Pakistan really struggling in the world order to prove its not a hot bed of terrorist activity, take that aid away and they wont have any funds to fight it and the place will churn out nutters faster than you can count em.
Allegedly it goes to anti-terrorism, but like all governments a tax is given a "Working title" but not necessarily used for such. If they were that keen to do something in the Mountain border regions where the terrorists are supposed to be, why aren't their troops regularly deployed into these regions ? Why will they not allow the Americans access ? And why so much resistance from the Pakistani Government ? It appears that their allegiance lies more with the insurgents than their "Western Friends". Unless we're talking vast sums of money then they can't get enough.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 21:59   #15

I think our problem is, we are skint and need to save, but at the same time still trying to be seen as a big world player in other countries eyes.
Just my humble opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..