Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2007, 17:19   #16
God Member

Re: Speeding Fines to Fund Domestic Violence Counsellors.

Yes the money should already be there but it isn't. Society needs to pay for it somehow. There are children who grow up in a violent domestic situation who consider such violence to be normal, and they go on to repeat the violence from generation to generation.
So to have a better society we need to throw money at the problem as soon as we can -counselling for both parties - need to re-educate them to be civilised members of society.
As 'great apes' we have potential for violence and need educating to control it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-03-2007, 18:09   #17
Beacon of light

None of the monies levied in this way will go to the victims as compensation....... just to provide counsellors.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 18:10   #18
Beacon of light

If alcohol is a trigger for domestic violence then perhaps the levy should be directed towards drinkers.
Old 31-03-2007, 18:12   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
According to a front page article in one of todays newspapers, motorists who are caught speeding and go to court to challenge their fines will be penalised by having a surcharge of £15 added to their fine.

For motorist, read Cash Cow.
So much for equal justice for all , so now it seems if you want plead not guilty and challenge the system (your God given right, not to mention Magna Carta etc.) you get penalized for it by a surcharge on top of the legal punishment .
If you want to throw more money down social rat-holes and create more jobs for civil servants then use monies taken from the 'regular pot' but dont punish someone twice (original fine + surcharge)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 18:14   #20
Beacon of light

Initially this surcharge will only be applied if you go to court and challenge the charge, but eventually all motoring offences will have this charge levied.
Old 31-03-2007, 18:25   #21
God Member

I heard about this on the radio on my way home from work this morning, they had some guy on the show but I can't remember who it was, think it was someone from RAC, during the conversation they said they originally planned to charge by a % of your fine but they say it would be too complicated for their system so just called it £15 to everyone

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 18:44   #22
Beacon of light

Yes, K.S.H.......that WAS the original plan, but the authorities found that it would be too difficult to administer.

Something else that may have a bearing on this is the division of the Home office into two separate entities. Lord Falconer is looking at softer sentencing. So judges may be directed to award non-custodial sentences for some crimes......and many custodial sentences will be shorter.
What kind of message does this send to the real criminals?
Yet motorists will be criminalised for petty infringements.
Old 31-03-2007, 18:47   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
So much for equal justice for all , so now it seems if you want plead not guilty and challenge the system (your God given right, not to mention Magna Carta etc.) you get penalized for it by a surcharge on top of the legal punishment .
If you want to throw more money down social rat-holes and create more jobs for civil servants then use monies taken from the 'regular pot' but dont punish someone twice (original fine + surcharge)
The word 'injustice' springs to mind.

Maybe those who are levied of this charge would be as well not to pay it....and do time instead....except the courts would probably send the bailiffs in.
Old 31-03-2007, 18:48   #24
God Member

Just don't get caught, drive at night with no lights on so they don't see you

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 21:08   #25

Why should honest folk pay yet anothere stealth tax, if this govertment stopped 1 % of the money they keep giving out to bleeding heart causes
around the world there would be plenty to go a round,
I know what happends in domestic violence cases .Ive seen the state of my sister after her bloke as used her as a punch bag. the trouble in her case and i so pose at lot of others is they let the scum bags back
short of taking these blokes some were nice an quite and making them dig a nice deep hole befor rollin um in theres not much else i can think of
moonshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 22:00   #26
God Member

Simple way out is .. don't go over the speed limit = no fine.. therefore no moaning about how you fine is used!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 23:29   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Simple way out is .. don't go over the speed limit = no fine.. therefore no moaning about how you fine is used!
How simplistic a solution, however this is the real world, people do speed and then they face the consequences that does not mean it is right that they should pay for something they are not guilty of.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 23:43   #28
Resting in peace

What I would like to know is where I could obtain a little 'speed', as the demon drink has entered my tender life, and when the grey dark grey dawn of tomorrow arrives I fear I will need a 'quick' lift.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How simplistic a solution, however this is the real world, people do speed and then they face the consequences that does not mean it is right that they should pay for something they are not guilty of.
The "real world" ?.In the real world we all pay tax for things we are not guilty of.. and that's not right is it? ..but I'm surprised by your attitude Less.. I had you sussed as a hard line sort of "zero tolorance" bod... anyone who breaks the law should be "banged up".. seems to me you draw a line between motorists who speed and cause deaths and those who park on Blackburn Road eh!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The "real world" ?.In the real world we all pay tax for things we are not guilty of.. and that's not right is it? ..but I'm surprised by your attitude Less.. I had you sussed as a hard line sort of "zero tolorance" bod... anyone who breaks the law should be "banged up".. seems to me you draw a line between motorists who speed and cause deaths and those who park on Blackburn Road eh!
I am zero tolerance, I do believe the criminal, be he/she a motorist,violent attacker or a thief, should get the correct punishment.

Notice the correct punishment, adding a little extra to someones punishment by making them pay extra for a crime they have not been prosecuted for is an injustice.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..