Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2023, 16:24   #1
Full Member+

Sycamore Gap Tree Felled.

Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall cut down by 'vandals'

According to the latest report, a 16 year old boy has been arrested on suspicion.

For those not familiar, it became famous from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves film in 1991 with Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman. I would post a picture but never got the chance despite driving past it last Oct.
Old 28-09-2023, 20:49   #2

Re: Sycamore Gap Tree Felled.

The big question is "why" ???
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 22:12   #3
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The big question is "why" ???

Well that is the big question, my initial thoughts was a disgruntled farmer or landowner. I don't believe this was a 16 year old kid who just happened to have a massive chainsaw and did it for kicks or tiktok clout.
Old 29-09-2023, 10:18   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The bottom line is simple, the courts are too soft with criminals.most judges should NOT be in a job.
Old 29-09-2023, 18:17   #5
Beacon of light

When i hear of trees being cut down it saddens me.
This majestic tree took 300 years to grow. It was a beautiful part of the landscape...and the landscape and many people mourn its loss.

Cashy, what kind of punishment is appropriate for such a wanton, premeditated act of vandalism, because I cannot think of anything appropriate?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 23:50   #6
Full Member+

Well there's been another arrest regarding the felling of the tree, first it was a 16 year old boy now it's a 60 year old man. Both the pennine way and hadrian's Wall Path run past Sycamore Gap.

As for punishment... well, a british tourist who carved his name in the Colosseum in Rome faced a €17,000 fine plus upto 5 years in prison and that was just for caring his name.

The felling of the tree that is irreplaceable, the fine and punishment should reflect that, if it was up to me I'd fine them £30,000,000 and if it turned out to be a grumpy farmer that didn't like tourists I'd take their farm as well.
Old 30-09-2023, 09:48   #7

I think this 60 year old man will turn out to be a local farmer as above.

That cut was not made by a 16 year old boy, too good a job - cuts like that take experience.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..