Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20   #1
Senior Member+

Tesco and the Market Hall

It seems that the following motion by Councillor O'Kane at last week's Council provoked a walk out by the Conservative Group.

This Council welcomes Tesco’s recognition of the hard work and dedication of local
Hyndburn resident Mrs Mandy Rawstron by asking her to open their £32 million pound
store and acknowledges the Council’s mistake in paying £8000 to a celebrity chef to open the refurbished Market Hall.

I can only ask why this motion was ever allowed within a million miles of the Council Agenda. The celebrity chef didn't open the refurbished market hall. That was done by the esteemed Leader complete with his medal. The motion looks as if it is mischief making of the worst most underhand kind.

What on earth was going on? It just makes the whole Council look stupid.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2010, 11:46   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tesco and the Market Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
It seems that the following motion by Councillor O'Kane at last week's Council provoked a walk out by the Conservative Group.

This Council welcomes Tesco’s recognition of the hard work and dedication of local
Hyndburn resident Mrs Mandy Rawstron by asking her to open their £32 million pound
store and acknowledges the Council’s mistake in paying £8000 to a celebrity chef to open the refurbished Market Hall.

I can only ask why this motion was ever allowed within a million miles of the Council Agenda. The celebrity chef didn't open the refurbished market hall. That was done by the esteemed Leader complete with his medal. The motion looks as if it is mischief making of the worst most underhand kind.

All depends on which side you want to grind the axe
Old 12-12-2010, 12:07   #3
Resting in Peace

Sounds like somebody playing silly beggars to me.

Time to grow up or get out.I see enough at Prime Ministers QT.Though I do try to avoid it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:25   #4
Common Sense Member

Quote:
It does when taken out of context, particularly since Cllr O'Kane was praising Mrs Rawstron's effort to secure gloves for troops in Afghanistan as part of the speech and appealing to council's better nature.

Of all the posturing that Peter Britcliffe has done in that chamber over the years, it is this that pushes you into starting a thread? You surprise me. Whatever your views on politics, walking out of a council chamber because your Leader spits the dummy out is not exactly laudable either.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 17:26   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I bet you smiled Ken
Old 12-12-2010, 17:34   #6
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I bet you smiled Ken
Not really, it was just another delay in a very long evening where everyone was starting to lose their rag.

The Mayor stated that at 10pm he would be dismissing the chamber to reconvene another evening to finish business. The Tories voted to keep going and then complained bitterly at every opportunity about the time.

Personally speaking, it was just another good reason not to be aligned with Peter Britcliffe.

Old 12-12-2010, 17:55   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Not really, it was just another delay in a very long evening where everyone was starting to lose their rag.

The Mayor stated that at 10pm he would be dismissing the chamber to reconvene another evening to finish business. The Tories voted to keep going and then complained bitterly at every opportunity about the time.

Personally speaking, it was just another good reason not to be aligned with Peter Britcliffe.
There you go again
Old 12-12-2010, 18:06   #8
Common Sense Member

Sorry John.

Just pent up frustration at not having a council meeting for six months thanks to the Leader.

Still, fair's fair, 13 years of Labour government have made it impossible to have them more often....

Old 12-12-2010, 18:37   #9

See your getting the hang of it now Ken.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:13   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cllr O'Kane was praising Mrs Rawstron's effort to secure gloves for troops in Afghanistan as part of the speech and appealing to council's better nature.
....so what was the reference to the cook in the Market Hall all about?

Peter B's posturing has prompted me to start threads before, by the way. The Leaders Medal thread was designed to do more than give people a chance to see the medal.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:21   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
....so what was the reference to the cook in the Market Hall all about?

Peter B's posturing has prompted me to start threads before, by the way. The Leaders Medal thread was designed to do more than give people a chance to see the medal.
But it was unusual for the controlling group to walk out. I can only remember it happening once before. It did make for an interesting debate.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:50   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
But it was unusual for the controlling group to walk out. I can only remember it happening once before. It did make for an interesting debate.
How do you debate on your own when the others have thrown there dummies out and left?
Old 12-12-2010, 22:49   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How do you debate on your own when the others have thrown there dummies out and left?
Exactly, i was always under the foolish impression that councilors are there to represent Hyndburn n the people who were stupid enough to vote em in? those that walk out of a meeting whichever party they happen to be, are weak n spineless, n in my opinion should resign, as they are not fit to represent HYNDBURN, simple as. anyone disagree? if so please give a valid reason.
Old 12-12-2010, 22:50   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Exactly, i was always under the foolish impression that councilors are there to represent Hyndburn n the people who were stupid enough to vote em in? those that walk out of a meeting whichever party they happen to be, are weak n spineless, n in my opinion should resign, as they are not fit to represent HYNDBURN, simple as.

here, here
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 08:37   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sorry John.

Just pent up frustration at not having a council meeting for six months thanks to the Leader.

Still, fair's fair, 13 years of Labour government have made it impossible to have them more often....
Thats what I like to hear, at last I've got the message through, bloody hate keep repeating myself

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..