Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: The disgusting Tory letter in this weeks Ob

Yes, it's shameful when people 'make things up'.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-49671-28.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2010, 10:36   #62
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Hiddlebit it wasn't interestingly timed, the FOI was more than a year ago.

I think it's quite shameful that Graham has to make things up, without a single shred of evidence. Shameful that not a single Labour member has come out and said 'wait, Graham, there is no evidence, at all, maybe you should re-think'.

All you're interested in is the letter. I put right and wrong before party. Have said the letter is wrong. Seems no Labour member is going to come out and say Graham's comments are wrong. Says it all, so I'll leave it at that.
If it will settle your wig, Graham's comments are true and I support what he has said. If you've asked to see his expenses, why is it such a bit deal that he has written what he has written without naming you?

You're coming across like a typical student activist, mouthing off over the slightest little thing that could be misconstrued as libel, and I'd advise you once again to get some perspective.

Nobody cares that you were written about in a very indirect way on Graham's blog, and it implies that you are extraordinarily egotistical if you believe that there is only one Tory activist in Hyndburn.

At the moment, no one is taking you seriously and you're making yourself a target for the whole of the Tory backlash on this forum.

Oscar Wilde once said, 'I'm not young enough to know everything' and it's worth having a little think about.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:22   #63

For the record, Andrewb. Don't assume the way I vote on the basis of an apolitical statement that happened not to support you. Just check my posts about Tory Bliar.
Hiddlebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:06   #64
Senior Member+

Just in case anyone was remotely interested in the "potholes" scandal that isnt, Graham Jones knocked on my door in Peel ward (and a good many other doors too) about 4 months ago and asked me if there were any problems he could help with, I mentioned the pitiful state of Water Street, which was full of potholes, Graham said he would go and take a look, it has now been resurfaced, Graham doesn't live on Water St. (nor does he own an ice cream parlour anywhere near it!)
Old 06-04-2010, 19:26   #65
Full Member+

Thank you for an entertaining thread.
I take it from the tone of some of the posts in this thread that some of you are actually Councillors who represent the residents of Hyndburn in the corridors of spending.
I assume you manage some serious political debate between extended sessions of back stabbing, personal insults and utter chidishness.
I know nothing of your policies and aims for the borough but know plenty about how a number of the local Councilors should not be in a position of power.
This is not a smear coming from any particular political direction but simply an observation from an ex resident of Hyndburn.
It totally defeats me what part, party politics plays in local govenrment apart from being able to say what flavour the Council is.
It appears far more important to bang the drum of a political party and deny that the other lot can ever come up with suggestions which benefit the community, than actually pulling together for the common good.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 23:20   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I take it from the tone of some of the posts in this thread that some of you are actually Councillors who represent the residents of Hyndburn in the corridors of spending.
I assume you manage some serious political debate between extended sessions of back stabbing, personal insults and utter chidishness.
I know nothing of your policies and aims for the borough but know plenty about how a number of the local Councilors should not be in a position of power.
This is not a smear coming from any particular political direction but simply an observation from an ex resident of Hyndburn.
It totally defeats me what part, party politics plays in local govenrment apart from being able to say what flavour the Council is.
It appears far more important to bang the drum of a political party and deny that the other lot can ever come up with suggestions which benefit the community, than actually pulling together for the common good.
Quote:
I am a newbie to this site and I can't wait to read a political debate between you folks. Your debates turn to 'pistols at dawn' over something trivial as a funny avatar.
I can't wait for the elections!
I'd have thought you'd have relished the feverish frisson and fire that politics still ignites here in Hyndburn.

Certainly beats sitting in a shelter on the prom, singing with other like mined migrants, 'I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm H-A-P-P-Y', as the wind lashes more rain in from The Irish Sea.

Old 06-04-2010, 23:41   #67
Give, give, give member

UNHAPPY: Coun Marlene Haworth

Tory trio quit Hyndburn executive committee in election row (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Since Cllr. Haworth recently felt compelled to resign from the executive committee of the local Conservative Association, angered that they'd had an imposed candidate list forced upon them, presumably because CCO didn't trust their judgement in choosing their own candidate, perhaps this public spleen venting, aimed at the opposition, was done because she feels powerless to target her anger at the people who now run the Conservative party, so she had to find a handy substitute.

Old 07-04-2010, 00:02   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

UNHAPPY: Coun Marlene Haworth

Tory trio quit Hyndburn executive committee in election row (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Since Cllr. Haworth recently felt compelled to resign from the executive committee of the local Conservative Association, angered that they'd had an imposed candidate list forced upon them, presumably because CCO didn't trust their judgement in choosing their own candidate, perhaps this public spleen venting, aimed at the opposition, was done because she feels powerless to target her anger at the people who now run the Conservative party, so she had to find a handy substitute.

Coun Marlene Haworth?.. thanks for that..she looks more like councillor Freddie Krugger of Elm Street Ward
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07   #69
Full Member+

I don't see any Political debate, only personal slanging matches.
As for the shelter - The view of the Lake Districe is fantastic from here.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I take it from the tone of some of the posts in this thread that some of you are actually Councillors
Just so you don't worry, whilst at the same time being 'entertained', two councillors have posted in this thread. The others are merely shocked residents.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:12   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As for the shelter - The view of the Lake Districe is fantastic from here.
If only the people at the other side of the Bay, could say the same thing!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:55   #72
Full Member+

By eck owd lad, that film teks me back to a time wen a wer a lad. It wer gradely then in Accrington, rickets, diptheria, smog and even't budgie had a job deawwn't pit sniffin out methane.

Now in Accrington, the pits have gone, the mills have gone, the market's all but gone, many decent pubs have gone, that factory where they turned cows into milk has gone, factory mekkin outdoor gear has moved out, tax office has shut due to a lack of customers, some tea leaf has carted away loads of house from the area around Blackburn Road and even the Coppice is hiding behind the trees.
Are you really in a position to take the rip out of Morecambe?

The people on the other side of the bay are far too posh to look South.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:42   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Are you really in a position to take the rip out of Morecambe?
Yes, because my grandparents retired there, and my aunt and uncle lived further round the Bay, so I've known the dreary place for many years.

You are lucky in sometimes having nice sunsets, setting over the Bay and mountains, just as those lucky residents in Grange get to see the sunrise above Morecambe's gasworks.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:47   #74
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, because my grandparents retired there, and my aunt and uncle lived further round the Bay, so I've known the dreary place for many years.

You are lucky in sometimes having nice sunsets, setting over the Bay and mountains, just as those lucky residents in Grange get to see the sunrise above Morecambe's gasworks.

As nice as it is to have the odd day out in a Chara' to visit a town that has had it's sand stolen,

Can we perhaps get back onto the topic of this thread, I for one find it far more interesting and relevant to what is coming up in the near future.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:52   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
As nice as it is to have the odd day out in a Chara' to visit a town that has had it's sand stolen,

Can we perhaps get back onto the topic of this thread, I for one find it far more interesting and relevant to what is coming up in the near future.
Since Bernard doubted the authenticity of the letter, as not being written by our councillor, I'm eagerly anticipating seeing a full retraction in tomorrow's Observer.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..