Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we have a nationwide DNA database ?
Yes 16 53.33%
No 11 36.67%
Dont Know 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2008, 14:19   #31

Re: The DNA database...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now yer talking crap.
In what way?
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2008, 14:24   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
I think it's impossible to have one without the other. The police are there to stop crime, but they also keep law-abiding citizens in line.
Completly wrong and I agree with cashies comment about crap, law abiding citizens keep themselves in line, the police are there to, (supposedly), keep the miscreants that consider themselves above or beyond the law in line.

I hope our police never have to stoop so low as to keep law abiding people in line if that happens we have all lost.

Last edited by Less; 23-02-2008 at 14:26.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 14:28   #33

Clearly anyone who isn't committing crimes is a law abiding citizen, but how many would be criminals if the police weren't there? Some, certainly.

Do you not think that most people don't commit crimes because they subconsciously weigh up their options and find that committing a crime is detrimental to their personal wellbeing?

For example: I could steal that apple, but if I was caught I'd get a social stigma as a criminal, I'd get fined, maybe a criminal record - so what's the point in stealing it?
Old 23-02-2008, 14:36   #34

Quote:
Clearly anyone who isn't committing crimes is a law abiding citizen, but how many would be criminals if the police weren't there? Some, certainly.

Do you not think that most people don't commit crimes because they subconsciously weigh up their options and find that committing a crime is detrimental to their personal wellbeing?

For example: I could steal that apple, but if I was caught I'd get a social stigma as a criminal, I'd get fined, maybe a criminal record - so what's the point in stealing it?
Do me a favour tell you mate Cyfr not to bandy accywebs name around his college, we have enough home grown students of our own!

Seriously though,
People that commit crimes are criminals, the police look out for the people that have commited crimes, until a crime has been commited it is none of their business, society as a whole keeps the majority of people in check, I haven't seen a Policeman for several weeks but I haven't used that as an excuse to commit a crime because like the majority I feel I can be classed as honest.
Old 23-02-2008, 14:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Seriously though,
People that commit crimes are criminals, the police look out for the people that have commited crimes, until a crime has been commited it is none of their business
Exactly, a DNA database or identity cards are needless intrusions into the lives of the innocent.

And I actually came here because Cyfr always goes on about various threads here and it sounded interesting! Debate and discussion is great fun.
Old 23-02-2008, 14:45   #36
God Member

Quote:
Do me a favour tell you mate Cyfr not to bandy accywebs name around his college, we have enough home grown students of our own!
I'll happily promote Accrington Web to students or non-students alike, thank-you very much!
Old 23-02-2008, 14:45   #37
God Member

Quote:
Exactly, a DNA database or identity cards are needless intrusions into the lives of the innocent.

And I actually came here because Cyfr always goes on about various threads here and it sounded interesting! Debate and discussion is great fun.
I thought you may well be friends
Attached Images
File Type: gif small-bnb.gif (53.1 KB, 3 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 14:47   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I thought you may well be friends
well ya didn't need to be sherlock,to work that un out.in fact i think there in love.pmsl
Old 23-02-2008, 14:51   #39

Quote:

Quote:
I'll happily promote Accrington Web to students or non-students alike, thank-you very much!
It was just a shot in the dark! A bit of the way my mind works, Cyfr I'm glad you promote accyweb, Rosencrantz, along with Cashie I still think most of what you said is carp, but at least it's spelt without TXT speak.
Old 23-02-2008, 14:54   #40

Quote:
It was just a shot in the dark! A bit of the way my mind works, Cyfr I'm glad you promote accyweb, Rosencrantz, along with Cashie I still think most of what you said is carp, but at least it's spelt without TXT speak.
What can I say, I'm an English student!
Old 23-02-2008, 14:58   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
In what way?
impossible to enlighten one with your experiance.
Old 23-02-2008, 15:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
impossible to enlighten one with your experiance.
Try me, I'm definitely open to new ideas.
Old 23-02-2008, 15:10   #43

Quote:
What can I say, I'm an English student!
Ah, but we've had people claiming to be 'English Teachers' on here that wouldn't have passed a Primary school exam so you are quite unique in that respect.
Old 23-02-2008, 15:17   #44
JFT96

To bring this thread back to where it started. Loz talked about extreme cases.

Well just over 60 years ago if you were Jewish in a european country you were forced to wear a Star of David on your outer garments, these poor people were treated to horrific crimes against humanity, all because of religion.

Now let us say we have a rather strong Right Wing government in power, say the one Nick Griffin is the leader of. You now know the ethnic origin of every single one of us, so you now have the power to round up people who don't conform to your ideals.
It has happend before and over 6,000,000 people were murdered, we start down this slippery slope it will happen again.
This argument about crime, is utter rubbish, DNA alone cannot be used to convict, all it shows is that you were in the area, or you touched someone at the time. And finally do you REALLY, REALLY trust this or any future government with your most personal details, your biological database, the blueprint to your being. I don't

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 23-02-2008 at 15:21.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 15:25   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The Identity Cards were issued because we were at war and were, quite rightly, discontinued after the war had ended.
Aren't we at war now?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..