Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 23:02   #1
Senior Member+

The historical characters on our bank notes

This is a really interesting article about the historical characters who are printed on our bank notes.

BBC News - The historical characters on our banknotes
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2011, 23:20   #2
Full Member+

Re: The historical characters on our bank notes

Some of the names on the list suggested by the public are staggering !!! John Cleese !!! David Beckham !!!

I can't understand why they don't look at some of the greatest ever Englishmen to adorn our notes...

Such as Winston Churchill or Lord Nelson !!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14   #3
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Some of the names on the list suggested by the public are staggering !!! John Cleese !!! David Beckham !!!

I can't understand why they don't look at some of the greatest ever Englishmen to adorn our notes...

Such as Winston Churchill or Lord Nelson !!
Rudyard Kipling would get my vote, his poetry's great - although some say a bit unPC for these times so he probably wouldn't get a look in.
Apart from the monarch I don't think we should have any still-living person on our banknotes.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

historical characters on notes is good, though yeh could always put the likes of Beckham on Toilet Rolls.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
historical characters on notes is good, though yeh could always put the likes of Beckham on Toilet Rolls.
Be careful with Rooney, he might just bite your bum cashy
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36   #6
Senior Member+

Historic figures, yes, but politicians definitely not. Politicians are by definition divisive.

For every person who will argue they did a great job for the country, there will be others arguing they were a total disaster.

I like the idea of scientists or philanthropists who did something to benefit everyone.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46   #7
God Member

If they wanted to realistically reflect the true value of banknotes, they could display

...the Andrex puppy

Have you noticed the price of bog roll lately?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 19:19   #8
Senior Member+

I think if you asked most people who are on the notes in their pocket now they wouldn't have a clue, especially as most people don't carry as much cash as they used to, for two reasons, people are not as well off as they used to be , and debit cards are used for a lot of purchases now.
Let's not worry who will be on the notes, more about the number of notes we have.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 19:38   #9
Resting in Peace

How about Lorna Doone.

Sorry I'me In a good mood

Should read Lorna Doom.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 21:51   #10
God Member

On the face of our banknotes we have political figures: we don't have one and two dollar bills any more, and the image of our Head of State is on those coins. Our five dollar bill has the face of Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier ... but this is getting boring; so, the back of the notes is where we have things important to Canadians: on the five, winter sports; the ten, our National War Memorial and "In Flanders Fields" (which as you all know was written by a Canadian) On the twenty, Inuit art. etc. More recent notes have on them the Canadarm, and the Vimy Memorial. I think that banknotes are a good way to show the rest of the world what you (and us) are all about ... On the Euro, there could be a picture of Hitler with the words, in German of course, "I told you we would rule Europe one way or another".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..