Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2007, 13:00   #1
Super Moderator

The REAL scandal of Learco Chindamo

So, ok, this individual is now not going to be deported to Italy when he is released from his jail sentence for killing headmaster Philip Lawrence...despite Mrs Lawrence being given the impression that he would be.

It turns out that he is protected by the Human Rights Act - an act which this present government insisted on passing and which seems to me to protect the rights of all manner of malcontents from Afghan plane hijackers to convicted murderers but appears to do very little for law abiding citizens.

But even without this invidious piece of legislation, his deportation would probably be inpractical because free movement of all its citizens is enshrined in the principles of the EU.

However, there is one other aspect of this case which I find totally and utterly scandalous. Chindamo received a sentence of 12 years and therefore could be released next year. 12 years? For killing an innocent human being in cold blood? He should have been locked up for the rest of his life. Instead, he is enjoying the comforts of an open prison, looking forward to his release and being reunited with his family...unlike his victim.

This situation should make those who rule us hang their heads in shame...they have pandered to criminals at the expense of their victims and we are now reaping the consequences.
Old 22-08-2007, 13:06   #2
Beacon of light

Re: The REAL scandal of Learco Chindamo

Whilst he has been incarcerated, we are told that he has been given access to anger management courses and has done an NVQ in Care....we are also told that he hopes to train to become a Nurse.

Would you want anyone belonging to you being looked after by this person?

OK, so there may be those of you out there who believe that he was just a 'child' when he committed this horrific murder......and you may believe he is rehabilitated and deserves another chance.......I am doubtful of both of these things.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 13:14   #3
God Member

I agree that he has been treated far too leniently. Whether we like it or not prison should not just be an attempted rehabilitation excercise. Our society and sense of natural justice requires an element of retribution and deterrant, which his treatment does not show.

BUT - I do agree that it would not be rational to deport him to Italy, where he has no family, and has not lived since early childhood. He is more likely to re-offend there, without (hopefully) guidance and support of his family. If we deported him, we would just be moving the problem of his behaviour and more than likely making it worse.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 13:16   #4
Give, give, give member

Nice family, judging by his father.

Chindamo's Mafia gangster father awaiting trial for murder in Spain | the Daily Mail

He should spend the rest of his natural life incarcerated, and the idea of him working as a nurse is laughable, if it wasn't so frighteningly a possibility.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 13:20   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
OK, so there may be those of you out there who believe that he was just a 'child' when he committed this horrific murder......and you may believe he is rehabilitated and deserves another chance.......I am doubtful of both of these things.
I would like to be optimistic and think just that Margaret, but the widow of Philip Lawrence was on the news last night and claimed that Chindamo has shown her no remorse whatsoever for his actions at any point.
No rehabilitation programme or NVQ in care makes up for a total lack of remorse/responsibilty when the crime is this despicable.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 13:20   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nice family, judging by his father.

Chindamo's Mafia gangster father awaiting trial for murder in Spain | the Daily Mail

He should spend the rest of his natural life incarcerated, and the idea of him working as a nurse is laughable, if it wasn't so frighteningly a possibility.
I didn't know that - he HAS a family there - since there is loyalty amongst (thieves) ie all Mafiosi
I review my previous post - send him back - the Italian police are more experienced in dealing with the mob of which he was born a part

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..