Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2013, 17:36   #541
Resting in Peace

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Blockbusters closing now
That's not really surprising Bernie really I've got Sky on demand and there are thousands of films for free, nobody has any need tramp down town to rent films anymore, they can do it without moving out of their homes
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2013, 17:48   #542
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Very rarely use the outside market (apart from getting the dog a bone ) . It's a pickpockets paradise, everyone pushed together in a small space. I tend to walk around it to get where I want to go. Always seems full of junk and empty stalls.
the full of junk bit is spot on for a Monday and Wednesday.... which is why I personally feel they should scrap it full stop.... however it is quite safe on the market there are shed loads of first class CCTV and they really are good: but I do know what you mean...
westendlass likes this.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:51   #543
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's not really surprising Bernie really I've got Sky on demand and there are thousands of films for free, nobody has any need tramp down town to rent films anymore, they can do it without moving out of their homes

Got to agree with that, who wants to spend a couple of quid hiring a DVD which you have to pick up, then return, when you can get it for part of the price.

Without moving from your screen or your choccy bars?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:56   #544
Full Member+

My son used to work there on and off for a few years. Sign of the times as people seem to download films these days. Same with the shops that are disappearing, more people are buying online. Touch of a button and you can compare prices and get a better deal.!
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:59   #545
Full Member+

Love the Mr. Creosote (Monty Python ) picture by the way.!
Old 15-03-2013, 19:26   #546
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
there could be a market for t-shirts aimed at visitors

hope L.D dosnt mind

Not quite sure about the back.... very tame
Old 15-03-2013, 19:28   #547
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
what they need to do is scrap the Monday and Wednesday market and Sunday and go back to the market days //// tues fri and sat: and maybe ( just maybe keep the Thursday one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
the full of junk bit is spot on for a Monday and Wednesday.... .
Mondays & Wednesdays are an embarrasment. If they insist on carrying on with them maybe they should introduce benefit checks, and while I'm at it stop convicted criminals trading on council markets
Old 15-03-2013, 19:45   #548
Beacon of light

Quote:
Very rarely use the outside market (apart from getting the dog a bone ) . It's a pickpockets paradise, everyone pushed together in a small space. I tend to walk around it to get where I want to go. Always seems full of junk and empty stalls.
Well, on proper market days there aren't enough people to make a crowd...you could hold a dance in the aisles.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 20:27   #549
Full Member+

When I was little in the early seventies I remember Broadway buzzing with people. The. Pelican crossing beep beeping as loads of people crossed the road, the market was heaving and my dad driving round and round the big car park to find a spot (where the Arndale is now ) look at the state of Accy now!
Old 15-03-2013, 21:49   #550
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yep but it means one more empty eyesore for the town When are the powers that be going to get their act together?
Old 15-03-2013, 21:51   #551
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
When I was little in the early seventies I remember Broadway buzzing with people. The. Pelican crossing beep beeping as loads of people crossed the road, the market was heaving and my dad driving round and round the big car park to find a spot (where the Arndale is now ) look at the state of Accy now!
Have a walk around Peel St tomorrow afternoon around 2-00, yeh will probably have it to yerself. Sat used to be the main day, when i worked on Market early 60s.
Old 15-03-2013, 22:14   #552
Super Moderator

Wink Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have a walk around Peel St tomorrow afternoon around 2-00, yeh will probably have it to yerself. Sat used to be the main day, when i worked on Market early 60s.
Problem is, walk around most other town centres at 2pm tomorrow and they'll be busy, despite the recession and the rise of on-line shopping. That's the worrying thing.

:
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 15-03-2013, 22:32   #553
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not quite sure about the back.... very tame
i was considering FCUK Maundy but i believe a company already have that logo taken

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:34   #554
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In town early this morning, i noticed some guys taking all the fitments outa the "Currency Converter" Shop across from the O2 shop in town, looks like "Another One Bites The Dust"?
Old 20-03-2013, 16:10   #555
God Member

Is Currency Converter a type of pawn shop?

It's a sign that times are ultra bad when pawn shops close.
I suppose that they took plenty of goods in, but no-one had the money to buy them back.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..