Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28   #661
Beacon of light

Re: Town Centre Changes

Less, this man reads what he wants to see...not what is actually said in posts. He already has his opinion of us lowly Accringtonian mortals.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37   #662

There is one thing I provide for your community. A focal point about which you can collectively rant.

Take Marge the other day for example, she and a few others cloaked themselves while searching the internet for me. I can see the glee at her revelations to the forum of my past. Alas for her there is nothing salacious to reveal there and the conclusions were and remain misguided. Did however allow you to rest your broomstick for the afternoon. Remains the case though that your focus on me doesn't help the town much.

To the actual thread topic, maybe a few questions might assist:

1) Who's recently sat down with Accrington's town planner Rob Gregorjevs. If so what came of it? He seems like a reasonable bloke, works in the Market Hall, and is open to meeting folk. Why not talk to him?

2) What about Dave Welsby? Same question.

3) The council meets with key stakeholders in the town on a regular basis. Who here is represented? Seems you're all keen to voice your negativity towards me, why not channel it at the people who are charged with the town's upkeep?

As you've got the t-shirt can you tick boxes 1-3 ?
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42   #663
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The planners n such people right or wrong are at least trying to do summat positive fer accy, unlike yerself who is only interested in making money,blowing yer own trumpet, no matter what bull yeh put on here it don't wash wi me.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11   #664
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
There is one thing I provide for your community. A focal point about which you can collectively rant.
What would we do without you?

Our lives would be meaningless, having managed without you for so long it really is good to have someone onsite to give our lives meaning.

By the way there have been others of similar ilk, they come they stay a short while find that their initial reason for joining the site has been sussed, in your case it was I suspect to glean free local knowledge about properties up for auction, much cheaper than employing someone to do the job. The time you soured the pot was when you attempted to tell us we do nowt' of value, say nowt' of value and know nowt' of value compared with you.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19   #665
Beacon of light

Quote:

Take Marge the other day for example, she and a few others cloaked themselves while searching the internet for me. I can see the glee at her revelations to the forum of my past. Alas for her there is nothing salacious to reveal there and the conclusions were and remain misguided. Did however allow you to rest your broomstick for the afternoon. Remains the case though that your focus on me doesn't help the town much.

1) Who's recently sat down with Accrington's town planner Rob Gregorjevs. If so what came of it? He seems like a reasonable bloke, works in the Market Hall, and is open to meeting folk. Why not talk to him?

3) The council meets with key stakeholders in the town on a regular basis. Who here is represented? Seems you're all keen to voice your negativity towards me, why not channel it at the people who are charged with the town's upkeep?

I hope this isn't me you are referring to(that would be MargaretR - an entirely different member)....I have never searched anything to find out about you....you are not of much interest to me.
Your interests in this fine northern town are purely business - that means you are in it to make a profit......not for philanthropic purposes.(nothing wrong in making money, especially if you employ local people as you so often tell us)
We can exercise our democratic rights when it comes to local elections, but that, for many of us, is where our influence ends.
We cannot compete with the likes of TESCO.

Meeting with the town planner - when you are just a person who lives in the town and uses the services...but do not trade...well, our opinions count for little.(no money in it = no mileage for user consultation)
Many of the big decisions about the town centre are 'rubber stamped' and regardless of public opinion will go ahead.
The proposed new bus station is a prime example of this.

Of course you won't see any of this as constructive criticism, you will perceive it as whining and whingeing....because it pleases you to do so.
Mick, Less, Guinness and 2 others like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 13:07   #666

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:

1) Thats one of the reasons we have councillors
2) Same answer
3) Again if you'd care to actually read a few threads you would perhaps notice we have done. In fact if you look closely you may see one or two councillors reading the threads, unfortunately when it comes to the town centre they stopped engaging because they could not find arguments to support bench removal, bus upheaval, drunks, beggars, wallpapered shop fronts and jerry built paving of the pedestrian areas.

And please stop using that name, they've both asked you politely, be a man for god's sake, respect the ladies wishes, it's something people in the North just do!
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 17:19   #667
Beacon of light

Guinness, this man will not listen to you. He respects nothing...other than, perhaps, his own views.
By calling Margaret R and myself, Marge it must give him some feeling of control or power.......and to me that is just sad.
Calling us both Marge leads to confusion, because there is only him who knows which one of us he is on about - unless he posts a quote, that is.

I have asked politely...he has not acceded to my request.
He seems to think, that I have, in some way disrespected him...and sees this as my punishment. (sigh)
Old 07-07-2013, 18:45   #668
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Local politics has done for us too...especially the politics of Power - Think TESCO.
Why does Tesco always get it on here?
What about Asda, Kwik Save, Aldi, Lidle, Netto, Homebase, B&Q, Currys, Comet, PC World and all the others. Do they not have their place in the end of Accrington?
Old 07-07-2013, 18:46   #669
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't get it off me. in fact i reckon the biggest factor now is the internet.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:46   #670
Beacon of light

well Neil, they didn't have much clout in town did they?
Aldi........well, that has only recently come to the fore......Asda....that is a good walk out of town...especially if you have no transport and a baby in a buggy with a weeks shopping to do.
We haven't had Kwik-Save for quite some time.
If you want something from Curry's it is a damned long walk.

And didn't TESCO bung the council some wonga.....on the understanding that the bus station was nearer to them.

Of course the internet has had an influence, but then so did the pedestrianisation of Broadway,the fact that both the market and the market hall are a travesty...and do not deserve to be called markets...and the fact that the town trades on it being a 'Floral Market Town'.

The place has been left to rot...it is no wonder people resort to the internet.

Shopping is a tactile experience, and experience of sights and smells....that is where the internet cannot compare.

Other places have vibrant markets, diverse shops.
Why might this be?

Bury is in the shadow of Manchester, but it manages to hold its own very nicely...with some good independent shops and a thriving market.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:52   #671
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why does Tesco always get it on here?
What about Asda, Kwik Save, Aldi, Lidle, Netto, Homebase, B&Q, Currys, Comet, PC World and all the others. Do they not have their place in the end of Accrington?

dunno but theres only one asda in hyndburn or aldi it just seems tesco are taking over.

mind you teh nexttime HBC or LCC want to take a bribe can they at least think bigger than a mini roundabout please ..

and i dont mean a large roundabout for gods sake
flashy likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25   #672
God Member

It's very easy to pass judgement when you live thousands of miles away. Try living here day to day and running a business here day today and see if the same people you put up on a pedestal actually work that way

You seem to have forgotten how the system works. Every 2, 4 or 5 years the people in politics are interested in your views. Every 2, 4 or 5 years they totaly ignore them after being elected.

Still as long as you are throwing money around it's the biggest voice anybody can have

The town centre is a filthy mess and and the people who should lead by example don't give a monkey's

Last edited by lancsdave; 08-07-2013 at 07:27.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44   #673
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Apart from elected members, the people who make the decisions about the town and do influence councilors don't actually live in the borough, which to me can be counter productive, if you lived here your decisions would have more focus on what you want, not those of an outsider
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:56   #674
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Apart from elected members, the people who make the decisions about the town and do influence councilors don't actually live in the borough, which to me can be counter productive, if you lived here your decisions would have more focus on what you want, not those of an outsider
Spot on John
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26   #675
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
...Asda....that is a good walk out of town...especially if you have no transport and a baby in a buggy with a weeks shopping to do.
There are always taxis outside Asda taking people with no cars home with their shopping. Taxi's can be cheaper than buses now if you have a couple of kids.

Quote:
And didn't TESCO bung the council some wonga.....on the understanding that the bus station was nearer to them.
I think you're talking about Town and Country Planning Act 1990 Section 106 monies which is something that is often paid. Wiki kindly explains it here Town and Country Planning Act 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..