Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29   #676
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
dunno but theres only one asda in hyndburn or aldi it just seems tesco are taking over.

mind you teh nexttime HBC or LCC want to take a bribe can they at least think bigger than a mini roundabout please ..

and i dont mean a large roundabout for gods sake
Is there another big Tesco in Hyndburn beside the one in Accy? I know there are a couple of Tesco Express. Aldi have 2 big stores - Accy and Great Harwood.

We tend to use Asda and Aldi for bigger shops and the Tesco Express in Ossy for bread, milk etc
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39   #677
God Member

big tesco in Harwood too, so yeah accyman is right
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40   #678
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
big tesco in Harwood too, so yeah accyman is right
Where is that and when did they build it - I don't get out much
Old 08-07-2013, 12:45   #679
Beacon of light

Close to Morrisons...which used to be the Co-op.......just a stride or three from The Plough.

Yes, Neil you were right about the town and country planning thing...still sounds a lot like a 'bung' to me...yes, I know I am a cynical old bat!

I thank goodness that I do not have a couple of children to feed.......I would have to get them used to living on fresh air...for at least part of the week anyway.
No way would I be transporting shopping and tinlids in a taxi...they would get a bag each and we would walk it back to Clayton.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:09   #680
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, Neil you were right about the town and country planning thing...still sounds a lot like a 'bung' to me...yes, I know I am a cynical old bat!
I think what Neil posted was the 'official' line
Old 08-07-2013, 13:58   #681

Town Centre Changes

Lancsdave - I sort of do run a business in the town day to day in that I employ a firm that works full time on properties in the town. Handimen, plumbers, electricians. If it works out we'll expand. I am in touch with it daily.

I've found the councillors to be open, honest and welcoming about the towns problems in the emails we've exchanged, and I look forward to meeting them at the end of the month.

Not all of the towns troubles can be solved them. Arndale is obviously one of the biggest, but its privately owned, and I'm guessing by a company that cannot afford to fix it (serious money in fairness). Same with the Conservative Club. The Victorian Arcade at Warner also privately owned. Easily acquired for £300k but not a viable prospect for anyone I think inc. current owners.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:58   #682
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I've found the councillors to be open, honest and welcoming about the towns problems in the emails we've exchanged, and I look forward to meeting them at the end of the month.
You'll get listened to because you are throwing money their way. The rest of us just have to be content with paying our council tax and being ignored
Less, jaysay and Restless like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 20:04   #683
Resting in Peace

And didn't TESCO bung the council some wonga.....on the understanding that the bus station was nearer to them.

I think I am right in saying... that HBC could have sold the bus station to spot on or who ever were the big boys at the time.... and they would have done up the old bus station... makes one wonder : why they did not do that:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:44   #684
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You'll get listened to because you are throwing money their way. The rest of us just have to be content with paying our council tax and being ignored
And that is what I said a while back...if you have money (and there is a chance you will be spending it in, or around Accrington) of course they are going to be welcoming.....attentive....helpful. They want your money to add to the local economy...they would be plain stupid to do otherwise.

We were asked what we did to remedy the situation........and I told this chap that our influence ended with a cross on a voting paper.
So you have just confirmed what I said.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50   #685

Town Centre Changes

My only financial contribution to them is about £600 in building inspector fees. Arguably there's 3 less buildings to serve repair enforcement notices on, which saves them some time and money. Might buy a few lunches but doesn't grant me and privileges of access or policy.

They seem open to suggestion and discussion, but as is well known here I take people as I find them.

Seems there's a lot of negativity towards Tesco, why? Cleared up what looked like a derelict site, and there's been a lot of works put in to upgrade the road system around it. What's not to like?
Old 09-07-2013, 14:24   #686
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Might buy a few lunches but doesn't grant me and privileges of access or policy.

They seem open to suggestion and discussion,
Ah, Yes, the proverbial 'free lunch', it can open doors, after all it's better than the spam sandwich the guys wife lovingly prepared.

I too am open to suggestions, where can we meet?

(See there are times when even I can be bothered!).

Quote:
but as is well known here I take people as I find them.
No you don't, you jump to conclusions and lump everyone together, then attempt to twist what has been said to suit your purpose.

Not to worry though, we do know you to be altruistic you are continuously telling us, if that is you have a spare moment from calling us.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:47   #687

I don't mind sparing with you Less but sticking to the thread subject I just think the town can do better. It's worse than most Midlands towns and I'm curious why. The obvious difference that I see is the number of people high on substances wandering around during the day. Maybe you are used to that seeing it day in day out to the point where you accept it as normal, but it was shocking to me (although I don't normally venture so far south. Accrington is a long way from Newcastle).

Sure you get pockets of that in Northern towns, but its not endemic like it is in your town (except maybe Hull).

Terrible housing stock also likely unhelpful to the town.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:17   #688
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
I don't mind sparing with you Less
Good. I'll crack open some beers and enjoy the show
Stevie R likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:24   #689

Quote:
I don't mind sparing with you Less but sticking to the thread subject I just think the town can do better. It's worse than most Midlands towns and I'm curious why. The obvious difference that I see is the number of people high on substances wandering around during the day. Maybe you are used to that seeing it day in day out to the point where you accept it as normal, but it was shocking to me (although I don't normally venture so far south. Accrington is a long way from Newcastle).

Sure you get pockets of that in Northern towns, but its not endemic like it is in your town (except maybe Hull).

Terrible housing stock also likely unhelpful to the town.
Accy is in North East Lancashire, part of the North West of the Country, if it were moved to the Midland then it would no doubt be the pits of that area.
As for people high on substances, we are lucky enough that one of the investments that took place in the town was Maundy Grange, which made us the sink hole for other towns evicted. I, like many others avoid the areas these people congregate, e.g. around the outside market, in the inside market, and generally begging around the town hall, if that is, they aren't urinating or defecating in a nearby alley, though they don't go there to throw up however, that is worn on their chest like the badge for some elite club.

So you see, although it may appear that people from Accrington are like that, usually it's someone that was dragged up elsewhere and came for the charity.

Last edited by Less; 09-07-2013 at 15:29.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:29   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Good. I'll crack open some beers and enjoy the show
Don't forget the popcorn.

Restless likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..