Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 15:40   #691
God Member

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I don't mind sparing with you Less but sticking to the thread subject I just think the town can do better. It's worse than most Midlands towns and I'm curious why. The obvious difference that I see is the number of people high on substances wandering around during the day. Maybe you are used to that seeing it day in day out to the point where you accept it as normal, but it was shocking to me (although I don't normally venture so far south. Accrington is a long way from Newcastle).

Sure you get pockets of that in Northern towns, but its not endemic like it is in your town (except maybe Hull).

Terrible housing stock also likely unhelpful to the town.
You got probably the top 2 on the list there.
Old 09-07-2013, 16:18   #692
Beacon of light

Quote:
The obvious difference that I see is the number of people high on substances wandering around during the day. Maybe you are used to that seeing it day in day out to the point where you accept it as normal, but it was shocking to me (although I don't normally venture so far south. Accrington is a long way from Newcastle).
No...we don't accept it as normal...we see the same people too.
The question is what do you do about it ?(In practical terms)

Maundy is the magnet for these people and there are many in the town(businesses who see nothing wrong in this charitable venture) proclaiming their support for the organisation. They do not see that the presence of these people is both intimidating and off-putting, and as such, detrimental to business in general.

It is very easy to tell us what is wrong, but coming up with workable solutions is quite another thing.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 16:57   #693
Resting In Peace

Just been n the Morecambe Arndale for the first time in yonks. It's about the same size as the one in Accy and I was pleased to see that nearly every unit was occupied and there was a decent footfall or seemed to be.

New Look has gone, to be replaced by a large Poundland, Superdrug has gone, and Bright House has replaced a jewellery/accessories shop. Otherwise much the same.

Euston Road next to the Arndale has about half a dozen charity shops but they are good qualty and don't detract from the area. So all in all I was glad to see that on this evidence at least Morecambe is on the up. Long may it last!

Oh yes - we still have traffic lights too...
Old 09-07-2013, 19:09   #694
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No...we don't accept it as normal...we see the same people too.
The question is what do you do about it ?(In practical terms)

Maundy is the magnet for these people and there are many in the town(businesses who see nothing wrong in this charitable venture) proclaiming their support for the organisation. They do not see that the presence of these people is both intimidating and off-putting, and as such, detrimental to business in general.

It is very easy to tell us what is wrong, but coming up with workable solutions is quite another thing.
Maybe as a property developer and a meeting with councillors his suggestion maybe to compulsary purchase Abbey st and demolish it
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56   #695
Beacon of light

I won't hold my breath waiting for that event.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39   #696
Senior Member+

I didn't see any renovation activity at all on Warner Street yesterday when I walked the full length. Thought this was going to be the start of the Accrington rejuvenation?
flashy likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 13:00   #697
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I didn't see any renovation activity at all on Warner Street yesterday when I walked the full length. Thought this was going to be the start of the Accrington rejuvenation?
Would you have walked the full length of Warner St without the hype?
No doubt there is someone employed ready to say the footfall on said street has increased, just as they interpreted footfall for the market hall to be an increase even though the chef etc cost money but didn't encourage to buy.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 19:07   #698
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Would you have walked the full length of Warner St without the hype?
Yes, my car was parked at the top, just off Abbey Street and my route was Warner St, Bank St, Blackburn Rd, the Market, Church St, the Arcade and Warner St.
Old 10-07-2013, 22:57   #699

That's because it's pretty much done. 2 buildings gone from derelict to brand new (a big job on 1820 properties). That you don't notice as you walk down the street is a good thing - just means we replaced everything in keeping with the rest of the street (a requirement for property within the conservation area of the town plan).

I'll post before and after pictures when completed circa end August.

Have also this week agreed a tenancy for one of the buildings before finishing or advertising it, because the people who work on that street do notice. I guess that dispells the board's accusations that I'm an evil money grabbing capitalist. Sorry to disappoint.

I'm never going to be single-handedly the renovator of your town, but by end August three buildings will be complete (all from 5 year empty/abandoned pigeon coup state to new) 1/100th of the buildings in the town conservation area, so just 297 to go.
DtheP47 likes this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:11   #700
Beacon of light

Quote:
I guess that dispells the board's accusations that I'm an evil money grabbing capitalist. Sorry to disappoint.
There you go again...making unjustified assumptions and generalisations about all members of the forum.

Unless, of course, that is how you want us to see you - because that can be arranged.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51   #701
I am Banned

Quote:
Don't know what you were looking for Barrie, I had a little wander up Warner Street today. One shop halfway up on the left showing refurb' activity Brought up in Woodnook I have never seen it as the beating heart of Accrington. Yes shops have come and gone but it seems OK to me not that I have any use for nail bars or those electric smoking devices (dummies for big kid smokers) Now if somebody reopened up as the Big Key Shop that's another matter.
Less mentioned footfall it seem no less busy really.

Yes bottom end with the Warners all boarded up isn't nice and the Arcade shops all look past the point of being an economical proposition to property and shop owners alike.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54   #702
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes bottom end with the Warners all boarded up isn't nice and the Arcade shops all look past the point of being an economical proposition to property and shop owners alike.

Warners is re-opening soon.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:49   #703
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
just means we replaced everything in keeping with the rest of the street (a requirement for property within the conservation area of the town plan).
Is it a requirement?
Old 11-07-2013, 13:59   #704

Yes. With buildings in the conservation area you have to keep the same look and feel to the street frontage. So for example I changed all the windows on both buildings to new double glazing. Those have to be the same style as others on the street. I need to replace a door - again it has to look the same as other doors. All perfectly sensible stuff. If you make a change that is not in line with what was already there then you have to obtain planning permission. The fast track process is not at all fast....

There are actually 3 departments to consider - planning (if required - either change of use or change of any design such as window styles), building inspectors (you pay them to come around even if you're just changing windows), and heritage conservation covers things like the colours you use. I can't paint the shopfront pink or red for example - has to be black, grey, white, or replacement of the existing colour which is blue. I think these departments spend a lot of time chasing around after rogue property owners who are either unaware of the rules or don't follow them. Probably a refreshing change when they find someone like me who does.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:49   #705
I am Banned

Quote:
Your right Barrie, I go down Warner St on a regular basis, and took notice ever since GEaston started posting about Warner St, quite a few for sale signs up, there were a couple of Auction notices a while back, but seen nothing of any renovations or building work. Could be that his only visits to Warner St have been via that Guggle Urth.
How about some property numbers, like the ones on front doors.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..