Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33   #1
God Member

Translator please

I need to find someone who can translate one line of text into Urdu for me and then send me it as a jpg for use on a poster.The text I need translating isInternational Women's Day at Accrington Town Hall.I would really appreciate your help if any member is able to do this for me.Thank you

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38   #2

Re: Translator please

You could try asking at CVS or CAB if they have someone they recommend.
Old 12-01-2006, 13:14   #3
God Member

"International Womens Day"...... Who is paying for this nonsense?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 14:00   #4
God Member

Will you give it a rest with this - this money, like most of the other funding that I find, is coming from the National Lottery. People and organisations in Hyndburn don't get enough funding from this source - we've had threads about that already - so we're trying to get money back into the area.

If you don't like the point of the event, fine don't come.

Old 12-01-2006, 14:09   #5
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Will you give it a rest with this - this money, like most of the other funding that I find, is coming from the National Lottery. People and organisations in Hyndburn don't get enough funding from this source - we've had threads about that already - so we're trying to get money back into the area.

If you don't like the point of the event, fine don't come.
Gayle, I applaud your efforts in raising funds for the area. But wouldn’t it be more worth while to do something that is longer lasting.

What is International Women’s Day?

What purpose does it serve?

What will this funding do to raise the profile of Hyndburn?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 14:14   #6
God Member

Oh Doug - don't you start. You know that I go for lots of funding for lots of different things, some more mainstream than others and some that are perhaps a bit more controversial.

But to answer your questions.

International Women's Day is a day which is recognised by the United Nations and celebrated as a national holiday in some countries around the world (not the UK unfortunately - attempt at humour). It's aim is to celebrate women's achievements and highlight injustice in some countries around the world that are not as enlightened as the UK in their attitudes towards women.

This event has been going for over 12 years so that's fairly long lasting. The event introduces women to new opportunities and new possibilities - there are educational workshops, community groups involved and a whole host of activities that may inspire or engage women in either new ventures or new hobbies.

This funding raises the profile of Hyndburn because it involves us in a National event and an international campaign.

Old 12-01-2006, 14:16   #7
God Member

Sorry forgot to mention International Women's Day was established over 80 years ago!

Old 12-01-2006, 14:21   #8
God Member

I will not give it a rest. This is a forum which means it is a place for exchanging opinion either in agreement or in difference. Irrespective of whether this is taxpayers money or lottery money, it is public money; and I for one can think of an awful lot of better things to do with it than sponsor this "Burka Bash"
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 14:23   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I will not give it a rest. This is a forum which means it is a place for exchanging opinion either in agreement or in difference. Irrespective of whether this is taxpayers money or lottery money, it is public money; and I for one can think of an awful lot of better things to do with it than sponsor this "Burka Bash"
Yes, and you know what, I agree that there are a 101 great things that this money can be spent on. But right here, right now I was asked to get some funding for this and I got it. I've mentioned many times on this forum that I have got funding for other (more mainstream) local events and my aim with all the groups that I work with is to put on a varied programme of things for the town. Varied means that different things appeal to different people - not just you!

Old 12-01-2006, 14:25   #10
Member.

But Gayle, I wasn’t starting, I consider myself to be a Gayle Knight supporter, but that doesn’t mean you are beyond reproach.

I was demonstrating my interest in your work and raising the issue of funding being put to better use.

I believe that the National Council of Churches will assist you freely with you Translation requirements……….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-01-2006, 14:27   #11
God Member

Doug - see my previous response to Tealeaf.

Old 12-01-2006, 14:35   #12
God Member

I'm quite happy to organise events that appeal to different people, that's the whole point behind a varied programme.

But can I remind you that last time I asked a question of what events I could organise that would appeal to you - this was your response Tealeaf

And I quote - sorry I don't know how to link in a post from another thread.

The Church & Ossy

Gay, Lesbian and Disabled

Real Ale Festival

Date: To Be Announced

Tickets: Five Quid

Ale: Lots, at Two quid a pint

Landlord: Staggers

Master of Ceremonies: Garinda

Chucker-outer: Less

Sponsor: Gayle & the MPA

(Thank you very much Gayle......£17,000 will be wisely spent)

Old 12-01-2006, 14:44   #13
God Member

Anyway, I've found a translator via other routes.

Old 12-01-2006, 14:46   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Anyway, I've found a translator via other routes.
How many languages are you translating your material into?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-01-2006, 14:55   #15
God Member

I am having one simple line translated into Urdu. The rationale behind this is that the poster is in English - by containing a line of text in an Asian language it indicates to the ethnic population of Hyndburn that they are not being excluded from this event.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..