Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 16:48   #1
Senior Member+

Try not using yer thumb !

On Saturday night after a few pints down town I fell over in stupidly impractical high heels,compounded by an already weakened ankle !
As I fell I put my hand out to stop myself and now have a dislocated thumb and ruptured ulnar collateral ligaments, all bundled up in a plaster cast up to my elbow !
Having had my daughter lecturing me on the benefits of us humans having "opposable thumbs " I would ask that a few of my mates on here try a few simple tasks without using their thumb on the weaker hand, ie I am right handed, left hand in pot, can I get the top off the Bovril...no ! can I squeeze teabags out against side of cup....no ! Can I put contact lens in... only just !
The list is endless, it's blinking painful ,maybe it's me being a plaster cast virgin but I seem to be hopeless !
If anyone wants to check out the injury it is classes as skier's thumb, lots of gory info on Google and I could be in for the long haul !
Old 04-03-2008, 16:58   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Try not using yer thumb !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
On Saturday night after a few pints down town I fell over in stupidly impractical high heels,compounded by an already weakened ankle !
As I fell I put my hand out to stop myself and now have a dislocated thumb and ruptured ulnar collateral ligaments, all bundled up in a plaster cast up to my elbow !
Having had my daughter lecturing me on the benefits of us humans having "opposable thumbs " I would ask that a few of my mates on here try a few simple tasks without using their thumb on the weaker hand, ie I am right handed, left hand in pot, can I get the top off the Bovril...no ! can I squeeze teabags out against side of cup....no ! Can I put contact lens in... only just !
The list is endless, it's blinking painful ,maybe it's me being a plaster cast virgin but I seem to be hopeless !
If anyone wants to check out the injury it is classes as skier's thumb, lots of gory info on Google and I could be in for the long haul !
If it was my right thumb I wouldn’t be able to hold a pen to write or scissors.

Apart from that an injured thumb wouldn’t cause me too many problems. But then I am a ‘can do’ person with the firm belief that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

However I notice that many modern pen pushers hold the pen between the index and middle finger rather than the old fashioned way of thumb, index and middle finger.
Old 04-03-2008, 17:08   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Try not using yer thumb !

Struggling to do anything as the thumb has been set at a right angle from my hand, if you splay your hand as far as you can thats about it ! So I can't grip anything ! it could be an interesting few weeks !
Old 04-03-2008, 17:13   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Struggling to do anything as the thumb has been set at a right angle from my hand, if you splay your hand as far as you can thats about it ! So I can't grip anything ! it could be an interesting few weeks !
Now you know what trouble Simple Simon got into with that flamig Pieman
Old 04-03-2008, 17:19   #5
Beacon of light

we do not really appreciate what we can do until one of our limbs is rendered useless.
I had a frozen shoulder for almost 3 years and I couldn't believe the inconvenience this caused for me......although it does make you much more resourceful.......Lindsay you will develop different ways of coping with the things that you normally use your thumb for.
Hopefully, it won't be out of action for too long.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:29   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

That sounds really painful Lindsay. Its a good job you had been on the oral anaesthetic when it happened. I hope you get to grips without having a thumb and your cast is off soon.
Old 04-03-2008, 17:29   #7
Give, give, give member

Can I come round and sign your cast?

I have very small writing.

Hope it's soon mended Lindsay x

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:30   #8
Give, give, give member

I can now shave with my non-dominant hand, so give it a year or two.

Old 04-03-2008, 17:33   #9
Senior Member+

It's a huge cast Big G, and still virginal at the moment ; I may opt for a coloured one at fracture clinic next week, as the sites fashionista what colour should I be aiming for this season; I think they do pink, green or purple ?
Old 04-03-2008, 17:38   #10
Senior Member+

Lindsay..........

**sorry, couldnt help it**

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:39   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's a huge cast Big G, and still virginal at the moment ; I may opt for a coloured one at fracture clinic next week, as the sites fashionista what colour should I be aiming for this season; I think they do pink, green or purple ?
None of those colours are big this spring/summer.

I'd consider going private.

Anthracite would be suitable, or a buttery yellow.

Old 04-03-2008, 17:46   #12
Member.

All the best Lindsey, hope your on the mend soon.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:48   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Lindsay..........

**sorry, couldnt help it**
Heartless *****. But I like it

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:50   #14
Senior Member+

hmmm..... maybe i should spend less time with Aleks....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 18:33   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres always a bright side to take from these accidents linds,= could have been worse, it could have been ME.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..