Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2007, 22:53   #16
I am Banned

Re: TV license

maybe the only way to get the peoples message to parliment is tuen up in thousands threatening to burn it down like they used to in the olden days
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2007, 22:54   #17
Give, give, give member

She got rid of every other nationalised industry, I'm just suprised Thatcher let the BBC slip through her fingers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 22:57   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Where have you got this price from?
Sarah, it was confirmed on the news earlier tonight.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 22:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She got rid of every other nationalised industry, I'm just suprised Thatcher let the BBC slip through her fingers.
proberly because it helped suport her lol
Old 18-01-2007, 00:13   #20
God Member

I got my new tv licence this morning and its £131.50 until 31.01.08.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 00:14   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
I got my new tv licence this morning and its £131.50 until 31.01.08.

...don't forget to recycle your old one.

Old 18-01-2007, 00:25   #22
God Member

It hasnt ran out yet!!!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:47   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Where have you got this price from? It only went up by £5 last year, so I doubt very much that this time it will be jumping up by almost £20. Incidently it is the tv signal that you are receiving that you are paying for, NOT the BBC channels, and the fee is set by the goverment, NOT the BBC.
i actually think they said it will rise to £151 by 2012
but it is still a bleedin rip off as many have said why pay tax on something you don't use!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 05:35   #24
God Member

Chipping in as a foreigner, just want to say that the BBC produces some of the best television in the world and you guys don't know how lucky you are , obviously some of the on-air talent is grossly over-paid, their wages could be cut by a half and these folks would still be climbing over each other for air time, where else are they going find to work ...the northern WMC circuit ? or the end of a pier somewhere .
Television here in the US is an abombination , designed for the best advertising demographic (young urban males aged between 18 and 30) incidentally the same demo has the lowest attention span , i.e. television programing for dolts, not sure what the limits are in the UK , but here in the US advertising takes up a minimum of 18 minutes of every hour of broadcasting and radio even more , I'm sure the folks calling for wholesale commercial television don't want that .
One of the few bright spots we have are our PBS stations which show BBC programs, (a one hour episode of Prime Suspect without any interuptions is priceless), and carry BBC World News , believe me when I say the BBC World News 1/2 hour program beats any US news program hands down.
I'm not sure how the finances work at the BBC and can understand folks being upset at the licence fee considering how much money, effort and energy is spent on the world service , (to my mind the world service should be financed by the Govt. since its an arm of the Govt. 'propagnda' division).
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 07:20   #25
God Member

I am gonna disagree with that Steeljack apart from were some of the wildlife documentories are concerned. I begrudge paying it considering some of the crap and repeats thats on.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 08:23   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Chipping in as a foreigner, just want to say that the BBC produces some of the best television in the world and you guys don't know how lucky you are , obviously some of the on-air talent is grossly over-paid, their wages could be cut by a half and these folks would still be climbing over each other for air time, where else are they going find to work ...the northern WMC circuit ? or the end of a pier somewhere .
Television here in the US is an abombination , designed for the best advertising demographic (young urban males aged between 18 and 30) incidentally the same demo has the lowest attention span , i.e. television programing for dolts, not sure what the limits are in the UK , but here in the US advertising takes up a minimum of 18 minutes of every hour of broadcasting and radio even more , I'm sure the folks calling for wholesale commercial television don't want that .
One of the few bright spots we have are our PBS stations which show BBC programs, (a one hour episode of Prime Suspect without any interuptions is priceless), and carry BBC World News , believe me when I say the BBC World News 1/2 hour program beats any US news program hands down.
I'm not sure how the finances work at the BBC and can understand folks being upset at the licence fee considering how much money, effort and energy is spent on the world service , (to my mind the world service should be financed by the Govt. since its an arm of the Govt. 'propagnda' division).

Do you have to pay to watch PBS?

Old 18-01-2007, 10:27   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Ah but you don't have to have Sky to watch TV.

I wish we could just have the option to take off BBC channels.
Then again, we'd get radio tax...
You do when you dont have an ariel and only a sky dish.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:31   #28
God Member

Fair enough. Could you try freeview? You only pay for the set top box & then you're away, no bills for it or anything.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:38   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Fair enough. Could you try freeview? You only pay for the set top box & then you're away, no bills for it or anything.
I wish but misses loves Sky One.

I would cancel Sky otherwise, its supprising what you actually get for free.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:42   #30
God Member

I miss 24 a hell of a lot from Sky One but some programmes are repeated on Sky3 during the week which is on Freeview, I dunno it's worth a look. Sky's prices are scandalous.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..