Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2009, 18:16   #31

Re: Two More Pubs Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I dont feel the Smoking Ban on its own has done the greatest damage, its just the latest in a long line of negative influences on the Pub trade. The monopoly of the Breweries/Pub Companies and their restraint of trade and high rents are certainly also a major factor. As too is the more relaxed licensing laws. You now have a situation where a lot of pubs dont get as many young people in as they used to because they prefer to frequent the town centre type establishments which open later in the evening, till early morning. Quite often these places only open towards weekends, and not during the day either.

Because younger drinkers are using these places rather than the more traditional pubs, not only are you decreasing the footfall across the pubs, you also see a less diverse cross section of the community drinking together. This in tern brings other problems such as anti-social behaviour through youngsters drinking amongst their own age group, rather than be "chaperoned" so to speak, by older...hopefully wiser...adults, and encouraged to drink more sensibly and be more respectful!

The Price of Alcohol is obviously a major issue too! I can honestly say ive never known such a huge discrepancy in the price of drink in Pubs as compared to Supermarkets!! But is it the Pubs that are to expensive or are the Supermarkets selling far to cheap?? Obviously we all want to pay as little as we can for a given product, but i would be interested to see how the price of Alcohol in Pubs today, compares to the price it was in Pubs say 25 years ago, and see how the figures compare expressed as a percentage of the average working wage! I would guess the prices would not show up to be so much more expensive now, which would then mean that the Supermarkets are causing a great problem for Pubs by holding prices down too low!!

I know i think long and hard before i go out of an evening now, and only really go out to a Pub or Club if theres live entertainment on. Otherwise may as well stay in, as sit in an empty pub/club.

Best Regards - Taggy
completly agree with the above particularly about the issue of the social interaction in pubs

I think a few years ago the breweries got greedy and penalised the proacive landlords who increased their barrelage and then massively increased their rents ad operated ina monopoly position in providing the beer

In order to build up trade pubs need stability however landlords don't or cant stay long enough to do so
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2009, 17:12   #32
Senior Member+

I believe the new landlord of The Hargreaves Arms is hoping to open in time for Xmas and I also heard tonight that The Adelphi at the bottom of Avenue Parade is due to close. Dont know if its true though.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 17:52   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
But you can smoke at home with cheap cans of beer which gives you an alternative to the pub & the weather,the others have no real alternative which would cause them to shut.
If you had my loudmouthed, door slamming, dog barking next door neighbours, you wouldn't want to stop in.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 17:57   #34
Senior Member+

It is the same here in France. A beer 25cl in a bar at lunchtome can cost you up to 3 euros. Cheaper in the evening bars, 2.25 euros for what is a half pint. Night clubs- forget it, cheaper to buy a bottle of vodka there at 80 euros than buy shots. In Lidl and Netto - German beer is available at 7.9% for 50cents a pint (50cls), 4.6% 39 cents 50 cls - guess where I drink in the evenings
Old 30-10-2009, 19:23   #35

I dont think its the smokeing ban its the beer incree,s and everything else it very hard to day to run a pub with all the ins and out they have to pay to day.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 19:56   #36
God Member

whats happening with the grey horse?????????
Old 30-10-2009, 19:59   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
Dunno lights were on weds night, but was empty n locked.
Old 30-10-2009, 20:27   #38
God Member

refurbishment???
Old 31-10-2009, 09:02   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
The Grey Horse closed down last Wednesday due to financial problems. The lights are on because there is a caretaker in there looking after the building making sure that it doesn't get broken into & vandalised.

The Arden closed down due to the ill health of the tennant.

I am led to believe that the adelphi is closing down tonight. It is being sold by the brewery & de-licenced.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 10:45   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
In 1970 - £20 would buy you 200 pints.

Today on the minimum wage of £217-70 for a 37 1/2 hr week you would be lucky to get 100.I think
200 pints Beni, to right it would, around that time my local was the White Bull up New Lane Ossy, I can remember going in one night and Ernie the Landlord said beers gone up a penny John, I just shook my head and said, "it won't be long before we can't get 10 pints for a pound
Old 31-10-2009, 23:24   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
The Grey Horse closed down last Wednesday due to financial problems. The lights are on because there is a caretaker in there looking after the building making sure that it doesn't get broken into & vandalised.

The Arden closed down due to the ill health of the tennant.

I am led to believe that the adelphi is closing down tonight. It is being sold by the brewery & de-licenced.
I hope Ian from the Arden is ok, ive not seen him since they came back from Turkey, i know he has had heart probs in the past and had a by-pass operation a few years back, so hope those problems havn't returned. It was usually Nathan, their lad, behind the bar when i went in! I'd like to pass my best wishes on to them.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:06   #42
God Member

just an example.. came to London 25 yrs ago and at the time there was around 20 pubs on the old kent road alone..I'll name a few because these were well known pubs even for the casual visitor
Thomas A Beckett- shut
Henry Cooper-shut
Gin Palace-shut
Green Man-shut
Dun Cow-shut
all these pubs shut down well before the smoking ban and the none have been re-opened ...there are no more than five pubs left on Old Kent road and it's nothing to do with smoking.
the time when you had a few old codgers sitting in pubs spending a couple of quid a day have gone..

Last edited by Mancie; 01-11-2009 at 03:09.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:48   #43
God Member

Re. Changes in Pub/licensing laws , seem to remember there used to be a 2 tier system with the local pubs , most 90% +/-were tied to a specific brewery and the other 10%+/- were 'free' houses (usually in out of town areas), and were allowed to sell whatever they wanted . Has this changed ? , are most pubs now 'free' houses
thx
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55   #44
God Member

cant believe the grey horse has shut i can remember it was a busy establishment but the area has gone downhill fast .im glad i got out when i did....i blame rent a mob house lettings and the school for ripping down the tree at the end of street and errecting a prison fence..and why has that house been empty for 12 years????????
Old 01-11-2009, 07:01   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
the time when you had a few old codgers sitting in pubs spending a couple of quid a day have gone..
No its not have a look in the Railway most days about 1pm
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..