Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 07:17   #46

Re: Two More Pubs Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Glad to see we are back to normal,just been talking to a bloke from Australia that is back- packing his way through Europe God Strooth I thought, Makes a change.Hold on to your goolagongs mate.Especially if Lynx is about.

What!!!!!!!!!! Am always good
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
just an example.. came to London 25 yrs ago and at the time there was around 20 pubs on the old kent road alone..I'll name a few because these were well known pubs even for the casual visitor
Thomas A Beckett- shut
Henry Cooper-shut
Gin Palace-shut
Green Man-shut
Dun Cow-shut
all these pubs shut down well before the smoking ban and the none have been re-opened ...there are no more than five pubs left on Old Kent road and it's nothing to do with smoking.
the time when you had a few old codgers sitting in pubs spending a couple of quid a day have gone..
That's sad to see those pubs closed Mancie, when I work for Shopfitters, on the South London run we always used to do the Old Kent Road crawl, especially the Thomas A Beckett, the boxers pub in those days, I remember rightly there was a Gym over the pub where the likes of Henry Cooper used to train once of a day, certainly the walls were plastered with boxing photos and memorabilia
Old 01-11-2009, 09:43   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Re. Changes in Pub/licensing laws , seem to remember there used to be a 2 tier system with the local pubs , most 90% +/-were tied to a specific brewery and the other 10%+/- were 'free' houses (usually in out of town areas), and were allowed to sell whatever they wanted . Has this changed ? , are most pubs now 'free' houses
thx
Far from it.

A few years ago the government of the day decided that brewery's could only own 2000 pubs So there was a big sell out to Leisure Company's who could in fact own as many as they wanted.

All tenants of these places are forced to buy all their draught and bottle beers from them.
To stop tenants sneaking the odd barrel in they developed a computerised system that recorded and relayed every pint poured to a central computer.

A recent attempt to allow free trade failed so the poor landlord is forced to buy at inflated prices,the brewerys are forced to sell to leisure companys at reduced prices.
The leisure companys charge the landlord inflated prices with the profit going to the shareholders.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Re. Changes in Pub/licensing laws , seem to remember there used to be a 2 tier system with the local pubs , most 90% +/-were tied to a specific brewery and the other 10%+/- were 'free' houses (usually in out of town areas), and were allowed to sell whatever they wanted . Has this changed ? , are most pubs now 'free' houses
thx
Awhile back many breweries were forced to sell off a lot of their pubs, it was hoped this would help break up a monopoly situation. However they got around this in several instances, by separate "Pub Companies" being set up, often by staff who were previously brewery employee's, these companies purchased the pubs, and now run them in much the same way as the breweries previously did, controlling how products and which products are purchased, and charging high rents/fee's for the privalidge!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:20   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's sad to see those pubs closed Mancie, when I work for Shopfitters, on the South London run we always used to do the Old Kent Road crawl, especially the Thomas A Beckett, the boxers pub in those days, I remember rightly there was a Gym over the pub where the likes of Henry Cooper used to train once of a day, certainly the walls were plastered with boxing photos and memorabilia
you are correct Jaysay.. the Beckett did have a training gym for boxers..Henry Cooper trained there as did most world famous boxers who had fights in London.. these days it's a fireplace showroom.
the Dun Cow is a doctors surgery.. the Green Man is a chinese, and the Henry Cooper is an ASDA.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
you are correct Jaysay.. the Beckett did have a training gym for boxers..Henry Cooper trained there as did most world famous boxers who had fights in London.. these days it's a fireplace showroom.
the Dun Cow is a doctors surgery.. the Green Man is a chinese, and the Henry Cooper is an ASDA.
That a real shame Mancie, we often here we are living in a multicultural society, seems like most of our culture is being burnt on the bonfire of vanities there'll soon be nothing left
Old 19-11-2009, 13:26   #52
Senior Member+

I believe The Arden has reopened, with a new landlord, not been in yet though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 17:55   #53

Also the Greyhorse re-opens tomorrow night.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:36   #54
Common Sense Member

Regrettably, although alcohol tax increases aren't helping, the breweries are as much to blame for the demise of the local pub as any government. When a pub is tied to a brewery it is forced to buy its keg beer from them, often at twice the price that it could buy it from a independent stockist.

For example, a barrel of Fosters costs around £240 for the pub to buy from a brewery whereas it would be around £120 for the same keg direct from the distributors. Pubs are also often nailed down to ludicrous rents, regardless of takings, which leaves many landlords working for virtually nothing.

In a few years we'll be left with only the most successful free houses and gastro pubs. Fortunately, Rishton has several very very good clubs which serve excellent ale at low prices but it still leaves the three local pubs up the creek.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 04-02-2010 at 12:36. Reason: Spelling mistake - tsk!
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 16:04   #55

I understand The Farmers Glory is shutting today
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 18:02   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Regrettably, although alcohol tax increases aren't helping, the breweries are as much to blame for the demise of the local pub as any government. When a pub is tied to a brewery it is forced to buy its keg beer from them, often at twice the price that it could buy it from a independent stockist.

For example, a barrel of Fosters costs around £240 for the pub to buy from a brewery whereas it would be around £120 for the same keg direct from the distributors. Pubs are also often nailed down to ludicrous rents, regardless of takings, which leaves many landlords working for virtually nothing.

In a few years we'll be left with only the most successful free houses and gastro pubs. Fortunately, Rishton has several very very good clubs which serve excellent ale at low prices but it still leaves the three local pubs up the creek.
There are 288 pints in a barrel I think

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 19:22   #57

Ithink they will all shut down in time and we will all be drinking in our own homes
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:46   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I understand The Farmers Glory is shutting today
Is that the one up Fielding Lane?
I used to go in there.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 21:15   #59
God Member

Farmers glory is on Haslingden Rd, got to the top of fielding lane, carry straight on until you come to the T junction, turn left towards Haslingden and the pub is on your left

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
There are 288 pints in a barrel I think
What do you mean Beni you think, a researcher of your calibre should know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..