Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 20:02   #46
Accy Goddess

Re: UK Airports at high alert

It's not often I agree with Mick chav, but this time I do. That was soooo funny.
Even in such a serious thread there is room for chav humour.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2006, 21:27   #47
Senior Member+

just a quick note

the madrassa is a monestary of sorts. its basic aim is to teach students about the quran and memorise it etc. now wat u have realise is that as there isnt a set agenda in the world of all madrassa some have been opened up with the aim to recruit and hence have their own agenda and from that agenda teach them.

those types of madrassa's are a bane to not just western countries but to countries like pakistan. pakistan's president has had numerous assasination attempts on him and each time they've been linked to such places. foreign students in any madrassa's are now banned. but the problem is a madrassa under any other name is still a madrassa.

but coming back to the ones htat got the lottery grant - what u have to remember is all education is monitored by the govt and in this case by the mcb too. so the chance of such a place goin rogue are incredibly slim.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I will give it 24 hours before the first solicitors appear on TV whinging about their clients' wrongful arrest, police discrimination against muslims, all the fault of Israel attacking Lebanon, blah, blah, blah.......
Yep, it's started...Fahad Ansar of the Islamic Human Rights Commission has said that the whole police operation is a cynical ploy by the Government aimed at "diverting attention away from its policy in the Middle East".
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27   #49
God Member

Well they did cause heaps of disruption and because of this my weekend off is canned. We have a couple of truck loads of material caught up in it and we wont get it untill lunchtime tommorow instead of today.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18   #50
I am Banned

I'suppose thats he other acheivement of terrorism is to effect the economy & flow of the Country as bonus to taking innocent lives.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55   #51
God Member

They did it big style. Some of the material is needed urgently and is holding up orders.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 13:33   #52
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: UK Airports at high alert

Quote:
Obviously at the time there was intelligence suggesting otherwise. You'd be the first person to jump up and say something if they didn't act when they had recieved intelligence.
The intelligence was obviously flawed Cyfr because so far no one has been charged and taken to court. Both incidents were wolf cries.

Quote:
Strange coincidence? Erm, the police don't listen to orders from our Government. You seem to be suggesting that really nothing was going to happen at all and that they're doing this to get ID cards passed, do you know how sillly that sounds?
Can I remind you that we do not live in a police state yet! The police, MI5 and MI6 are responsible to Parliament and where national security is concerned and public disruption called for the go ahead comes from the government. Do you now realise how stupid your assertion that the police don’t listen to orders from the Government sounds?

Quote:
Strange how they 'just happened to have clear plastic bags to hand for this purpose'
WHAT? Just think about what you're saying, first of all how hard is it to aquire plasic bags if you don't already have them?
Second, do you not think they plan things like this in advance? They knew about the threat for a while, and im sure the airports have planned stuff like this since 9/11 at least.
Nothings been found because nobody said it was going to happen today, it could be tomorrow, it could be next week. They are there to stop copycat attacks.
You are making my case for me Cyfr. I’m quite sure that it would be easy to get hold of clear plastic bags, but during the morning when the alert first occurred? So they must have had them in stock already. Why? Oh! I see! A copycat was it. By definition copycat means that it has occurred before. Do tell when was the last time that hand luggage was suspect to the degree that it was banned from the plane cabin? You’re talking nonsense!

If you think that the terrorists don’t have more than half a brain cell between them then keep on sticking your head in the sand.

It transpires that the attack wasn’t imminent on the day but was just a POSSIBILITY during the next three days. Not even a PROBABILITY and obviously nowhere near a CERTAINTY.

We all want the security services to protect us from terrorist acts but where were they on 7/7? Where was the intel then?

As I said I have no doubt that something was in the wind but it was decided to over-react on the day to try and establish that the security services were on the ball and as a convenient extra to reinforce the need to curtail the public’s freedom and liberties and make a case for having ID cards accepted.

Time will tell if and when the arrested suspects end up in court on a terrorism charge.
Old 11-08-2006, 15:03   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

It transpires that the attack wasn’t imminent on the day but was just a POSSIBILITY during the next three days. Not even a PROBABILITY and obviously nowhere near a CERTAINTY.

We all want the security services to protect us from terrorist acts but where were they on 7/7? Where was the intel then?
The security services are always going to be in a lose/lose situation. They either act when it's a possibility and run the risk of disrupting services and upsetting travellers or they wait and wait and wait until something happens. Either way they lose.

So if it was a possibility that it was going to happen within the next three days surely that is enough to know that it was certainly going to happen and so needed action.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 17:08   #54
God Member

My two cents on this latest anti-terrorist action, Heathrow airport is a complete joke ,connecting from one terminal to another is a nightmare. How security works I have no clue , the usual procedure is, after checking my bags at San Francisco the next time I see them is in the domestic baggage carousel at Manchester airport , where I go through customs I have no idea.
The last time I used Heathrow I was travelling from San Francisco to Manchester , it seemed a high proportion of the airport workers are 3rd world nationals even airside , I'm sure thorough background checks have been carried out on all of them , even the guy on the immigration desk was wearing a turban , when he asked me why I was visiting the UK ,I told him I had come to bury my father ,he wanted to know who he was and where he had died, I also told him I was born here and if there was a problem ,guess it was, because he then wanted to know why I had a US passport , he then wanted to know how long I would be staying, said I didn't know , so he stamped my passport for 1 month with the notation not allowed to work, (guess I should check if my national insurance number has been deleted from the system.)
One good thing coming out of all this chaos is the restriction on hand luggage some of the stuff folks carry-on is unbelievable, why in Gods name would someone want to carry-on a rice cooker full of food, I've seen 6 ft tall african drums, on one international flight from the middle -east there were 4 arab gentlemen with hunting Falcons tethered to their wrists (the birds were hooded), on Air France flights I have seen passengers walking their pet dogs in the cabin.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 20:16   #55
Beacon of light

My concerns over the current crisis are, while the police are tied up guarding the airports....what are the crims up to?....and all this media coverage is giving islamic terrorists a field day from the propaganda angle....and the human rights Lawyers must be drooling at the potential for all the work that will be coming their way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 20:42   #56
God Member

Well if the lawyers are going to have a field day with legal aid sponsered lawsuits then maybe I should try as these actions are bound to be infringing a human right or two of mine.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 20:46   #57
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right Spuggie........and all of the population of this country too!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 22:26   #58
God Member

Quote:
You are making my case for me Cyfr. I’m quite sure that it would be easy to get hold of clear plastic bags, but during the morning when the alert first occurred? So they must have had them in stock already. Why? Oh! I see! A copycat was it. By definition copycat means that it has occurred before. Do tell when was the last time that hand luggage was suspect to the degree that it was banned from the plane cabin? You’re talking nonsense!.
I've flown by british airways and had to empty my pockets and hand luggage into a clear bag before jambutty. I was flying Belfast to Manchester. And when i sailed from Belfast to Liverpool i've had to empty my pockets. Even been dragged off to the little room to be searched as well at Manchester because of my cousins daughters wedding present that was in my suitcase and was going in the hold not as hand luggage.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:09   #59
Senior Member+

just adding to what steeljack said about the amount of hand luggage

a few yrs back me, my missus and my baby went to pakistan for 4 weeks and not trustin those nappies there i decided to buy a few box fulls and was told i wudnt b able to. fair enough. put my suitcases thru got thru the hand luggage - at duty free there was a boots and i went there to buy a drink and lo-behold there was the nappy size i'd been refused. i asked how mnay they had and they had more than enough. so i ended buyin more than i was gonna take initially and no one to check how much hand luggage i was gonna carry!

but back to this terrorist thing. i do have a feeling that all the folks arrested for this are gonna be let loose. its fair enough for the govt to make such safe measures but i feel the public will soon get more than sick of them if they cry wolf too many times.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:45   #60
God Member

Quote:
You are making my case for me Cyfr. I’m quite sure that it would be easy to get hold of clear plastic bags, but during the morning when the alert first occurred? So they must have had them in stock already. Why? Oh! I see! A copycat was it. By definition copycat means that it has occurred before. Do tell when was the last time that hand luggage was suspect to the degree that it was banned from the plane cabin? You’re talking nonsense!
I am not making your case for you. It's not my fault if you take BITS of what I say and tie them all together out of context now is it.

These are not backed up by fact, because I havn't followed the news since the first day when there was very little known. These are just examples of possible explanations.

The police have been watching them for a few months now (Some news program said since last December) it is quite possible that the police could have informed the airport with enough time for them to enforce their plans in case of such incidents.

When I say "copycat" you're not a stupid man and know exactly what I mean, whether you want to be pedantic about the wording of it or not. Copycat refers to copying the *planned* attack. If they just arrested the people they believe to be involved, and didn't try to stop anything further happening, what happens if they actualy didn't catch everyone? Should we take the risk of hundreds of people dieing so that some people are not inconvenienced on a flight?

It dosn't NEED to have happened before for them to plan against it. You don't sit and wait for it to happen before you produce a plan to combat it. People who plan against this sort of thing arn't stupid, they're quite good at risk analysis. It's not some strange concept to have liquid explosives, they planned ahead, and they've greatly reduced the possibility of anything going ahead if indeed it was going to.

So what if it isn't 100% sure that something would go ahead in that day, or the day after? If theres ANY chance at all then i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..