Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30   #1
Senior Member+

University of Blackburn/burnley

There are plans to open 20 new universities in England, providing places for an extra 10,000 students. The government is to invite proposals for a wave of new universities to be created in the next six years.
It wants to use an expansion of the higher education sector as a way of regenerating local communities and creating employment.

The new campuses since 2003 have been at Barnsley, Cornwall, Cumbria, Folkestone, Hastings, Medway, Oldham, Peterborough, Southend, Suffolk, Darlington. There are projects planned for Blackpool, Blackburn, Burnley, Everton, Grimsby and North and South Devon.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42   #2
God Member

Re: University of Blackburn/burnley

'Creating employment'

This is politician language which to you and me means "shoving people into useless degree courses so the government can manipulate their figures to say unemployment is decreasing."

The future of England holds scenes akin to photographs depicting Germany's great depression. You've all seen the one. The only difference will be an abundance of useless diplomas instead of Deutschmarks.

Last edited by shakermaker; 03-03-2008 at 11:46.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12   #3
Senior Member+

you can already do a degree in burnley, thats where i was gunna do mine....maybe still will

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 15:39   #4
Senior Member+

As from 2010 there will be a University at Burnley already....
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:01   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
'Creating employment'

This is politician language which to you and me means "shoving people into useless degree courses so the government can manipulate their figures to say unemployment is decreasing."

The future of England holds scenes akin to photographs depicting Germany's great depression. You've all seen the one. The only difference will be an abundance of useless diplomas instead of Deutschmarks.

You've got a point there. There are too many Mickey Mouse degrees out there that are no use to anyone. What good will having a degree in David nad Victoria Beckham do you when you come to look for employment?
Old 03-03-2008, 16:05   #6
Senior Member+

The fact that McDonalds are handing out a-levels makes me laugh.

Polytechnics are not that fashionably looked at anyway.
Old 03-03-2008, 16:16   #7
Resident Waffler

McDonalds are not 'handing out A levels'. Have you actually looked at it in detail? I won't go on because the subject has already been dealt with in another thread.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:22   #8
Senior Member+

studied it at school..
Old 03-03-2008, 16:44   #9
God Member

Most colleges have had some form of affiliated link with UCLAN for a few years to study for degrees without travelling to Preston. All they seem to be doing is expanding this in to a more formalised basis.

Why do people think they will be any less of a degree than you can get at Preston or other universities ?
Old 03-03-2008, 16:54   #10

Blackburn&Darwen yeah.. you werent seriously thinking they'd make an Accrington one wer ya? The college is sh*t enough!
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 17:04   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
Blackburn&Darwen yeah.. you werent seriously thinking they'd make an Accrington one wer ya? The college is sh*t enough!
The thread didn't mention Accrington
Old 03-03-2008, 17:08   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
The new campuses since 2003 have been at Barnsley, Cornwall, Cumbria, Folkestone, Hastings, Medway, Oldham, Peterborough, Southend, Suffolk, Darlington. There are projects planned for Blackpool, Blackburn, Burnley, Everton, Grimsby and North and South Devon.
Blackburn & Burnley = No point with there being less then 10 miles between the two.

Everton = What is the point in that when Liverpool University is less than a mile away ?
Old 03-03-2008, 17:11   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Blackburn & Burnley = No point with there being less then 10 miles between the two.

Everton = What is the point in that when Liverpool University is less than a mile away ?
If they are going to be offering the same courses as each other I would agree with you, but I suspect there will be different ones at each uni.
Old 03-03-2008, 17:50   #14
God Member

Queen's University at Kingston has a campus in England, at Herstmonceux Castle in Sussex ... maybe they will open another one in some place like Hapton, then people can get a useless degree from a Canadian University.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 17:52   #15
God Member

With regards to Liverpool - there's more than enough variety in courses with University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores and Liverpool Hope University.

This demand for more universities is the result of farcical government targets for educational 'achievement' that often force employers to take people on according to the amount of qualifications they have, regardless of experience, talent or common sense. Obviously if this were to be inverted it would be a step back to the dark ages - however this is another example of how this country finds it so impossible to find a middle way with anything.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..