Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 14:48   #1
Senior Member+

US teen kills 8 people to be famous....

A teenager who shot dead eight people in a US shopping centre before killing himself wrote in a suicide note that he wanted to be famous. Robert Hawkins, 19, from Bellevue, Nebraska, opened fire at the Westroads Mall in Omaha on Wednesday.
A woman who took him in after he left home said he left a note saying he was sorry for everything and did not want to be a burden to anybody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7130504.stm
Old 06-12-2007, 16:36   #2
God Member

Re: US teen kills 8 people to be famous....

So much for not being a burden on anyone couldnt have contradicted himself any greater really.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 21:05   #3

I watched the Governor, the Mayor , the Police spokesman on the news today. They all expressed their heartfelt sadness for each victim and I have no reason to believe that they were not being genuine….. I bet nobody has shut down the local Gun shops. Guns and apple pie, the American way of life, unfortunately the UK is not all that far behind our US friends
Old 07-12-2007, 00:34   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

at least the "Pleb" had the decency to shoot himself n save the cost of a trial.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09   #5
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I watched the Governor, the Mayor , the Police spokesman on the news today. They all expressed their heartfelt sadness for each victim and I have no reason to believe that they were not being genuine….. I bet nobody has shut down the local Gun shops. Guns and apple pie, the American way of life, unfortunately the UK is not all that far behind our US friends
I wasn't aware that the local Gun Shops had sold this psycho guns illegally. It's then truly an outrage that the said illegally selling shop is not shut down. What exactly was the name of the shop that sold the guns to this guy illegally Bonnyboy?

It's just not right that you guys get this information over there and I haven't heard about this illegal activity as of yet. Stinkin' American media.

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 07-12-2007 at 01:17.
LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:59   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think you have taken him the wrong way mate. I think he was suggesting that the guns shops should be shut down.

People over here had this stupid idea about reducing gun crime. They banned all hand guns (except black powder). The result was a massive expense to the taxpayer and gun crime has soared ever since.

I think we should reverse that stupid and pointless idea and revoke that stupid law. There is nothing wrong with hand guns. If some crackpot wants to kill people their is a million ways without using a gun.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:58   #7

Yeah, I know Neil. Just irks me when people put the blame where it doesn't belong. This kid stole the gun from his Step-father. The "gun shops" had nothing to do with it.

They rarely do. It's more typically people not properly securing their guns.Drives me crazy that these people knew this kid had problems and he still was somehow able to steal a high powered rifle. Now, to me, that is the worst part and is just plain crazy! Just my opinion.

Old 07-12-2007, 15:42   #8
Senior Member+

i know its not the step father's fault but why keep a gun in the same household as someone unstable?
Old 07-12-2007, 17:13   #9

The kid had supposedly been kicked out of the house and hadn't lived there for awhile. Regardless, you're right Mani, this gun should have been either in parts unknown to the murderer or much better secured (IMO).

Brian

Old 07-12-2007, 18:39   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

guns are too much, part of a way of life in the usa, for my liking, to easily obtainable, wether the fact it should have been secured or not.the fact that they are, is certainly a contributery factor in these tragedys to me.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:22   #11
God Member

from todays edition of the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/08/us...qQ&oref=slogin
from what I read the kid had problems , should someome have picked thm up ? . probably , but who ........................

Last edited by steeljack; 08-12-2007 at 08:25.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I wasn't aware that the local Gun Shops had sold this psycho guns illegally. It's then truly an outrage that the said illegally selling shop is not shut down. What exactly was the name of the shop that sold the guns to this guy illegally Bonnyboy?

It's just not right that you guys get this information over there and I haven't heard about this illegal activity as of yet. Stinkin' American media.
I wasn’t suggesting that there was any illegality about how this chap obtained the weapon, just passing comment on how freely available guns are. Was it a contributory factor ? I think so. I imagine someone like yourself who lives in the USA is bound to have more insight into this issue. I guess that whether there are strict gun laws or not, if someone is intent on obtaining a firearm then they will do so.
Old 08-12-2007, 18:27   #13

Yeah, bonnyboy well said. I apologize for my little tirade aimed at you earlier. It is such a tough issue for this here American. I feel so very sick when this stuff happens. However, I never put the blame on Gun shops who adhere to the law and usually not on those majority of citizens who properly secure their firearms.

First, I would have to say (IMO) most americans do not have or use guns. Most criminals obtain their guns on the blackmarket or by stealing them . . . ya know, just not up for this now . . it's so hard to bring a proper balance to the thought on this issue, especially to people outside the country.

It's just we're not all a bunch of Bubbas, John Waynians, Mafiosos, Gangstas, psycho killers (ques ce se), etc.. I believe the world does not see it this way though!

Old 08-12-2007, 18:35   #14

Yes i realy think that was realy sad,but if he did not turn the gun on him self is life would have been hell and he would have had to live with that for the rest of is life.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 22:39   #15

Yeah, but the thing is he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. Where was the glory in killing and maiming so many perfectly innocent people. If he truly wished a Blaze of Glory death, why not attack a military installation or something. Or better yet, do a "High Noon" scene by letting the local swat team meet him in some far off field for target practice!!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..