Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2005, 11:48   #1
Junior Member+

We Need SUBWAY!

So when are we getting a SUBWAY in Accy then? Preston has a couple, Burnley has one, we need a SUBWAY!

Oh and whilst I'm on the topic, http://www.subwaymad.co.uk could do with your help by registering and debating

Fin
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2005, 11:51   #2
I am Banned

Re: We Need SUBWAY!

went to a subway when on the beer in bolton

a mighty fine sandwidch it was indeed
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 11:53   #3
Roy
Administrator

Indeed! Subway's are great!! We have subways all over in Moscow, I've often wondered why there are so little in England.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 12:10   #4
Give, give, give member

Lol, at first l thought you meant an underground train route because you were so impresed with the one in Moscow.

Then l thought you wanted us to have an underground tunnel under a busy road, handy when you ned a pee apparently.

Now you want another chain of sandwich shops.

Thats it take the fod out of my Brother's childrens mouths. What about the poor independants? My family have been baking bread and selling sandwiches on Union Rd. for nearly 75 years. Choice of breads range from the humble teacake to Paninnis, fillings from cured ham to Chicken Bang Bang [a hot litle number.] All individually made, and if your lucky/unlucky enough to be served by my Mum a cabaret as well, as she usually has the shop in stitches with her quips.

Last edited by garinda; 24-04-2005 at 12:13.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 13:40   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

So I should stop going to the one on union road opposite Rhyddings Street then mate?
Can you arrange AccyWebbers discount for us and we might all start going. Maybe an AccyWeb poster in the window as well.
Old 24-04-2005, 14:41   #6
Give, give, give member

Those newbies, who buy their bread in? Pah!

325 Union Rd. is where you need to be straight across from The Royal Oak, and round the corner from Tinkerbelles dog biscuit warehouse.

Old 24-04-2005, 14:49   #7
Resident Waffler

I'm fully supportive of the independant butty shop. Why should we want to be the same as everywhere else when we could be better instead? It's so boring when everywhere you go you find exactly the same shops. I used to love Carley's bakers in Church. It was on Blackburn Road but all that remains where that row of shops used to be is a green mound with an often weed filled flower bed. There was a geat baker on Ramsbottom Street Accy too, Mr. Chaffer, alas also long gone.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 14:52   #8
Resting in Peace

Well i vote the subway runs from Holland street to Persia street then over to the STAG INN at Church
there is less chance of getting knocked down then when me and Less come home hehe
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 15:28   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
325 Union Rd. is where you need to be straight across from The Royal Oak, and round the corner from Tinkerbelles dog biscuit warehouse.
We usually use the one at the bottom of Rhyddings St at the fire station but I will give your mums place a try this week garinda and check out their culinary expertise.

I hope they do a nice dog biscuit in meaty gravy ?
Old 24-04-2005, 15:47   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We have plenty of butty shops in this area, some of which are excellent. Subway have branches all over New Zealand, and although they are not bad I feel that they have no character. They are the McDonalds of butty shops, and you all know how I feel about McD's I can't stand them. We are overrun with pound shops and charity shops, the last thing we need is to be bombarded with mediocre butty shops which will drive our excellent small bakeries and shops out of business and further reduce the town of any character.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 16:01   #11

Don't think we need a Subway but I do think that most sandwich shops need to be a bit more adventurous. I like crusty bread but most sandwich shops only stock those round doughy things that sort of pass for a bread roll. Choices of menu tend to be prawn, chicken, beef, ham or cheese with or without salad. Faced with this sort of choice I usually prefer to make my own.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 16:14   #12
Roy
Administrator

Exactly purplelass, the local shops need to buck there ideas up or they will be pushed out of favour by places like subway.. I think subway offer a choice of 6 different types of bread and tons of fillings, all nicely prepared before your very eyes. Oh yeah, and subways usually have an eaty in bit.. The world changes and so does your need for a decent butty shop, cheese and tomato no longer cut it alone!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 17:50   #13
Senior Member+

Pre packed sarnies are rubbish!I much prefer to get mine freshly made.Choice in the town centre ain't great,Greggs and Oddies are rubbish and not good value for money.The one opposite Yorkshire Bank is good but the best has to be the one at bottom of Warner St,not sure of name but it's great!
Old 24-04-2005, 17:57   #14

Are you talking about SOUP?
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 18:45   #15
Give, give, give member

True the days of limp cheese and tomato are long gone.

l'm not sure exactly as l just eat left overs, but there is at least seven types of bread with speciality breads featured as well. l love the ciabatta, and the hot panninis are heavenly. Be prepared to wait at lunchtime as each sandwich is made to order and people are usually lined up outside.

There is no where to eat in, we did used to have a cafe next door in the 70's but Ossy wasn't ready for it, a bit like the Gobbinlander disco we had on the corner of the same block.

I did used to go into Subway in Glasgow, but like Lettie said it's the sandwich equivalent of Macdonalds and every high street in the world will soon look the same.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..