Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2006, 13:07   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Weighing in schools

When ever educators want to cut something from the curriculum the first and easiest is PE, so we end up with unhealthy fat kids, they go home and sit in front of computer games so no exercise there and the parents say "well hes/she is not the sporty type". Its just a lazy society that we are creating, a couch potato mentality where everything is done for us.
I have a theory that all the fat kids and geeks who were put in goal at school because they were crap at sport now run the whole workings of the education system.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2006, 16:33   #17
Resting in peace

Childhood obesity is an increasing problem. Too few children get enough exercise - when we were kids, we were out all day in the holidays, charging around, burning energy. Now some parents are (rightly) worried about letting their children play unsupervised, so the kids stay at home experiencing virtual reality. Childhood obesity does lead to health problems, and I can see the point of trying to tackle it. The Health Service is already overstretched, and an increase in the rate of diabetes and heart disease (already happening) would place a huge burden on the system, both in terms of medical attendances and drugs. There was a case in the US where a child was removed from the mother because child was grossly obese, and the state classed it as child abuse. Can we/should we go so far if parents refuse to care for their children's health in this way?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 22:38   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
When ever educators want to cut something from the curriculum the first and easiest is PE, so we end up with unhealthy fat kids, they go home and sit in front of computer games so no exercise there and the parents say "well hes/she is not the sporty type". Its just a lazy society that we are creating, a couch potato mentality where everything is done for us.
I have a theory that all the fat kids and geeks who were put in goal at school because they were crap at sport now run the whole workings of the education system.
Interesting point, I hated sport,(when I did do it) because I hated playing football. PE teachers are obsessed with the game, they think it's the only PA that exists. I blame the teachers for being cr p. What I don't think is that PE should be took off the curriculum. I think they should have decent teachers, that give a variety of activities and make sure that every kid is enjoying them as much as they can. Not stuffed in goal because they're crap. They know thats why they're in there, and thats why they don't wanna play.
I never really did sport when I was at school, it wouldn't have been very practical. I used to sit i the library bored out my mind. when I was at middle school I enjoyed rounders, I was good at that, so maybe I'd have enjoyed cricket. Shame I never really got to try.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 20:24   #19

While this may help some parents to realize that they need to aid their children with their weight, isn't forcing them to be weighed going to go against their human rights (somewhere) ?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 21:31   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad
While this may help some parents to realize that they need to aid their children with their weight, isn't forcing them to be weighed going to go against their human rights (somewhere) ?
probably yes and thats why the human rights act needs aboloshing and a new more common sense set of rules set up
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 01:29   #21
God Member

You'll be saying them having to attend schools and lessons is against their human rights next, add that to the list of things thats against kids human rights toda, That they have to obey the law, that they should give adults respect, and not expect it without giving it, that they have to do as their parents say, that they get punished. Not expecting them to hang about on street corners intimidating old and parents of young. All against the human rights act. I'm sure we could make a long list.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..