Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2005, 22:00   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Well, that's the last time we'll go there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I was only joking.

Merry Christmas Mr Squirel my old sparring partner.
And a Merry Christmas to you

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2005, 00:34   #17
Senior Member+

I'm sorry but it did make me chuckle.........my brother, an Oswaldtwistle man, was once promised a turkey from a bloke called Tommy......he never got it and since then we sort of have a family joke........Tommy promised and every turkey we have had gets called Tommy..umm.
The first year we lived in Tenerife, when neither of us could speak a word of the language, we went to the local butchers and ordered a turkey. I, not knowing the word, was gobble gobbling around the shop until the bloke sussed it out. On Xmas Eve we went to collect it, only to find that there were around sixty folk in front of us...........we went next door to the bar, kept checking our number.........I've never been so drunk!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 08:56   #18
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Think I know the one you mean Willow, thought he was supposed to be very good from what my Bash friends say.
He is very good if you're talking about just going in and buying what they've got. Last Christmas we ordered a bird too, to make sure there was a fresh one available when we wanted it, knowing that more people buy them at this time of year, and there was no problem so we didn't imagine there would be this year but all I can say is thank goodness for Tesco and we shall be looking for an altrnative butcher. Busman found a very nice one on his travels in Mellor. ||There used to be one just down Willows Lane but he's retired.

I wouldn't have minded as much if he'd been the slightest bit apologetic but he just had a couldn't care less attitude and a "what do you expect me to do about it?" tone of voice whch really added insult to injury.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 09:23   #19
God Member

Hope it didn't spoil your plans too much!

I have nothing but praise for my butcher - Whitakers on Union Road, Osw - I don't go in very often but I am always greeted by name, as are most other people who are in there. I went in a few weeks ago to order my turkey and some ham and the first thing one of them said (I don't know which one because I think they're twins and I get confused easily) "hello, Gayle, come to order your turkey?" I said yes and he then amazed me by saying (without looking it up), "I think you had a 10lb-er last year will that do for you again?" I was really impressed!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 23:24   #20
Resident Waffler

That's the way it used to be with the chap down Willows Lane too. There also used to be a really great baker on the opposite corner who did all kinds of different and unusual bread. Unfortunately not many people patronised them because supermarket loaves are cheaper (but not half as good) and sadly they closed down. I used to love the Jamaican loaves they did and they did a super pumpernickel.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 07:38   #21
Senior Member+

Well we were invited out for Xmas dinner but we decided to get a small frozen turkey for us for the rest of the week.You all know tutkey butties, curries and the like.Its all part of xmas is that.So off i went to the Lidl to pick up a small frozen one and lo and behold when i get home the woman on the checkout had scanned it but it did not come up on the reciept.So we are having free turkey this year Lucky us!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 26-12-2005, 12:17   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
That's the way it used to be with the chap down Willows Lane too. There also used to be a really great baker on the opposite corner who did all kinds of different and unusual bread. Unfortunately not many people patronised them because supermarket loaves are cheaper (but not half as good) and sadly they closed down. I used to love the Jamaican loaves they did and they did a super pumpernickel.
They also used to do a nice tomato bread but I know I never went in as often as I should.

Great quote in one of my Christmas books

"It's not the supermarkets that are killing of the corner shops, it's the people that go into the supermarkets".

A couple of years ago I made a pledge to myself that I would try to frequent local shops more often. It's sometimes so easy to go the supermarkets but unless we all make an effort to keep local shops open they will all start to die out. And then we'll miss them when they're gone.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 14:14   #23
Senior Member+

Sorry Gayle but we have local butchers here and bakers.

e.g. bakers a baguette costs € 1,50
Aldis same thing € 0,50
Butchers = Turkey between € 20 to € 35
Same turkey roughly same weight at Lidls cost € 7,45
In the end as a father and husband i have to get stomachs full.Not keep up someones business and livelyhood
Old 26-12-2005, 14:19   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
Sorry Gayle but we have local butchers here and bakers.

e.g. bakers a baguette costs € 1,50
Aldis same thing € 0,50
Butchers = Turkey between € 20 to € 35
Same turkey roughly same weight at Lidls cost € 7,45
In the end as a father and husband i have to get stomachs full.Not keep up someones business and livelyhood
But when the butchers and bakers have all gone, LIDL will charge more.

P.S. Don't forget I've seen your full belly, in the photograph you sent me after we'd spoken in the chatroom, and you thought I was a babe, which of course I am.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 14:26   #25
Senior Member+

Sod of Rindy i am still embarrassed.Any way the supermarkets keep themselves in check by competing against each other.The little shops cannot keep up.We have a Lidl, Aldis. Netto and mini mal all within 20 min walking distance.And after what you wanted in the Asda i would think you always shopped at supermarkets !!!!!!!!!!1

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..