Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2007, 15:36   #1
God Member

We're all DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

To bolster my position as the forum's resident Cassandra, here's a pretty worrying development - especially as the BBC were discussing the demise of the humble bumble bee on this morning's Breakfast News...

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2449968.ece

If mobiles can do this to Bees, what are they doing to our brains?
Old 16-04-2007, 16:25   #2
God Member

Re: We're all DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

I have an ancient 'brick' of a mobile phone whose sole purpose is to summon the RAC when needed.

I do not own a microwave oven - they are very damaging to health too -methinks more than phones

http://www.willthomas.net/Convergenc...ng_Hazards.htm

I do have a radio phone and 2 radio doorbells - HMM - will think about getting shut

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 16:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
If mobiles can do this to Bees, what are they doing to our brains?
Last time I checked. There are a lot of things that can kill bees that do not kill us. A fly swatter for example. When there is evidence of there being real harm done to humans is when it's time to worry.

Quote:
I do not own a microwave oven - they are very damaging to health too -methinks more than phones
Microwaved food is simply boiled. The waves are passed at the resonate frequency of water so they vibrate, causing them to produce heat, this cooks the food. The only damage a microwave can do is if you find a way to put a part of your body into it. That way the water particles in your body would vibrate, create, cooking you from the inside. Again, when your stuck inside an active microwave is when it's time to worry, not before.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 16:59   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Microwaved food is simply boiled. The waves are passed at the resonate frequency of water so they vibrate, causing them to produce heat, this cooks the food. The only damage a microwave can do is if you find a way to put a part of your body into it. That way the water particles in your body would vibrate, create, cooking you from the inside. Again, when your stuck inside an active microwave is when it's time to worry, not before.
That is precicely what the manufactureres want you to believe -I do not believe ALL I read on the web but sometimes the volume of info available, all saying the same thing, is impossible to write off as 'bunkam'.
While we are on the subject of modern hazards - try websearching aspartamine -throw away your 'diet' drinks and artificial sweeteners. I once found aspartamine in vitamin C pills bought at ASDA -they got binned pronto!

Old 16-04-2007, 17:10   #5
Give, give, give member

You can help save the bees by rubbing bee's wax polish over the mouthpiece of your mobile.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:34   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You can help save the bees by rubbing bee's wax polish over the mouthpiece of your mobile.
Save money - dig it out of your earhole

Old 16-04-2007, 17:42   #7
Give, give, give member

Mobiles are actually good for bees, as can be seen here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That is precicely what the manufactureres want you to believe -I do not believe ALL I read on the web but sometimes the volume of info available, all saying the same thing, is impossible to write off as 'bunkam'.
While we are on the subject of modern hazards - try websearching aspartamine -throw away your 'diet' drinks and artificial sweeteners. I once found aspartamine in vitamin C pills bought at ASDA -they got binned pronto!
Also try searching 9/11 conspiracy theories. Alien landings. Elvis Presely lives. The internet is the single largest source of information known to man. It is also the single largest source of bull****. The tests done on things in food are so strict it is unbelieveable. Half of the additives banned are perfectly safe if it wasn't for people over reactions. Additive X has been found to cause cancer, therefore it shall be banned. The fact that the only way there is a chance of this causing cancer is if you are injecting large doses of it daily, and a small amount in a food item is harmless, does not matter. EU food regulations are so strict. There is a lot of commotion about E numbers, saying how they are going to kill us all. The whole point of E numbers is that they are SAFE additives, gone through rigourous testing.

Science is so contradictory it is hard to believe that people still buy it. For every theory there is one saying the exact opposite. The thing to do is look at ALL the facts and come to a reasoned conclusion.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:49   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: We're all DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

I reckon there is some merit in the bees theory Acrylic-bob. Clever as science pretends to be scientists still do not KNOW how bees find their way about or homing pigeons for that matter or even migrating birds and animals. It could be using the earth’s natural magnetic field because it is constant (subject to sun spot activity) and if that is the case radio waves could interfere with them enough to confuse a bee.

The mobile phone industry is such a massive industry that should anyone even attempt to prove that a mobile phone can cause brain cell damage they will do everything possible to discredit the allegation.

13 years in the Royal Navy as the guy who maintained and repaired radio transmitters, receivers, radar and sonar, I can claim to have some knowledge about radio waves from long wave right up to the millimetric. I know from personal experience how a radio wave can burn my hand without leaving a mark on the skin. It was the flesh underneath that got burned because it was radio waves doing the burning. I know from personal experience how a radar set with a power output of ONE MEGAWATT can make a person’s skin itch a couple of hundred yards away and in one case made a guy’s hair stand on end. In fact we used to use this phenomena to our advantage when tuning a transmitter. A normal neon tube hung from a transmission line would glow the brightest when the transmitter was tuned correctly and at optimum power output.

So mobiles emit radio waves on very low power but the aerial is very close to the brain and the skull gives no protection because high frequency radio waves will pass right through. How far can these radio waves travel? Well astronomers measure the natural radio signals from distant stars, don’t they? And the nearest star to us apart from our own sun is 4.3 light years away.

I have no doubt that over time and with continued use a mobile phone user will experience some brain malfunction.

I would have given that article on microwaves a bit more credibility [email protected] if there hadn’t been a link at the bottom of the page selling low priced microwaves.

However the final paragraph intrigued me.
Quote:
Here's a fun experiment you can do at home: Plant seeds in two pots. Water one pot with water nuked in a microwave; the other with “normal” filtered tap water. Surprise! The seeds soaking up microwaved water won't sprout.
There is a flaw in that the cause of the seeds watered with ‘nuked’ water not sprouting isn’t down to the ‘nuking’ but to the chemicals in the tap water. The other pot is to be watered with normal ‘FILTERED’ water.

So having just happened to have a few packets of seeds ready to sow in my garden I have started the experiment using normal tap water and normal tap water boiled in the microwave and allowed to cool. We shall see what happens.

My guess is that the seeds in both pots will germinate. But we shall see.
Old 16-04-2007, 18:22   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I've been avoiding aspartame for years but it crops up in the most unlikely places, even accompanied by sugar! Totally unnecessary.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 21:32   #11

Pity that its bees- if it was wasps- now you're talking. Nuke the vicious little b*****ds!! They are the SS of the insect world wasps- evil sting you just for the hell of it little sods.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 22:39   #12

everyone seems to complain about mobile phone masts but at the same time it usually the same people who are buying phones for thier 8 year olds. masts consequently prop up and non phone users such as the bees and msyself are sadly 'caught in the crossfire. it really winds me up peopl should only use their fonez for emergencys etc
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 22:42   #13

having just come bach from a family visit to pakistan people have noticed a lot of hedaches since the appearence of fone masts. also in pakistan people have noticed sparrows have disappeared since the intro of fone masts. hav the poor sparrows and fire flies w(hich are so pretty in the evening )also lost their way. i hate fone maSTS
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 10:47   #14
Resident Waffler

Maybe last weekends episode of Dr. Who wasn't that far fetched after all. I have a mobile but I really don't use it all that much. I'm on pay as you go and top up monthly but I'm storing credit for when I'm in a field in August.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 10:49   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
it really winds me up peopl should only use their fonez for emergencys etc
Which century are you living in ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..