Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2009, 16:13   #46
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: were is the "line" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As a sort of aside, but on the general topic of immigration: Jason Kenney, Canada's Minister of citizenship, Immigration, and Multi-Culturalism is proposing that no one can become a citizen of this country unless they are fluent in one of our two official languages ...
A sensible approach to immigrants.

Would you like to put it to Gordon Brown?
Old 23-03-2009, 04:38   #47
God Member

Re: were is the "line" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
A sensible approach to immigrants.

Would you like to put it to Gordon Brown?
Only if he can speak one of our official languages ... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is probably a well meaning person .... but I have heard him speak on tv several times; and, to put it bluntly, bs is not one of our official languages

Here's another thing ... and I know it will rub some of you the wrong way ... but anyone wishing to become a Candian citizen has to swear -alliegence to the Queen ... some people have baulked at this one, so, they didn't get citizenship ... whether you agree with this or not, they are our rules; and anyone who wants the rights and priveleges of a Canadian citizen has to play the game by our rules. And the rules we have are made in Canada, by the Canadians we elect to our provincial and federal parliaments, not by some super- or trans-national assembly over which we have little control. I know, that as a Canadian, it is not really any of my business, but I'll offer my two cents worth: I don't see any benefits for Britain in the EU ... I like a world with distinct national identities ... homogenization maybe ok for milk; but, for the world, I just don't see it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 08:59   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Only if he can speak one of our official languages ... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is probably a well meaning person .... but I have heard him speak on tv several times; and, to put it bluntly, bs is not one of our official languages

Here's another thing ... and I know it will rub some of you the wrong way ... but anyone wishing to become a Candian citizen has to swear -alliegence to the Queen ... some people have baulked at this one, so, they didn't get citizenship ... whether you agree with this or not, they are our rules; and anyone who wants the rights and priveleges of a Canadian citizen has to play the game by our rules. And the rules we have are made in Canada, by the Canadians we elect to our provincial and federal parliaments, not by some super- or trans-national assembly over which we have little control. I know, that as a Canadian, it is not really any of my business, but I'll offer my two cents worth: I don't see any benefits for Britain in the EU ... I like a world with distinct national identities ... homogenization maybe ok for milk; but, for the world, I just don't see it.
Seems fair enough to me Eric, you make the rules and if people want to play your game they play by your rules. When people come to live in this county we expect them to play by our rules, but then we're labeled racists, funny that really
Old 23-03-2009, 11:58   #49

I'm not racist, I just hate all immigrants, foreigners & everyone else too.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 16:08   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I'm not racist, I just hate all immigrants, foreigners & everyone else too.
Well we sympathies mattylad, after all you do live with the Dingles
Old 23-03-2009, 17:31   #51
God Member

Quote:
And the rules we have are made in Canada, by the Canadians we elect to our provincial and federal parliaments, not by some super- or trans-national assembly over which we have little control. .
Eric , think you should check out the "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America , Canada isn't as independant as you think

Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

know that wikipedia isn't the best source , but gives a you a bit of an idea about whats going in the background with the North American Union and New World Order
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 18:23   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Eric , think you should check out the "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America , Canada isn't as independant as you think

Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

know that wikipedia isn't the best source , but gives a you a bit of an idea about whats going in the background with the North American Union and New World Order
I have read about that too - this New World Order looks sinister to me
I am beginning to doubt many things we are 'fed' by governments

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 18:25   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

Nothing new ... Canada has always had close ties with the US in terms of trade, defence (NORAD, the DEW line), and since 9-11, quite probably on border security. But the differences between the two countries are immense. Cuba, for example, I can still buy Montecristos and vacation in Cuba ... the contentious debates over softwood lumber (not a well known one, but very important) and many other bitter debates surrounding NAFTA .... under a conservative govt., we get a little closer ... and when, inevitably with our politcs, the Liberals regain power, we back off. Friends we may be .... allies when it suits our interests (we don't do Iraq, but we do Afghanistan, not as US allies, but because of our commitment to NATO) ... but, we are independent; and that will never change.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 18:27   #54
God Member

Quote:
Nothing new ... Canada has always had close ties with the US in terms of trade, defence (NORAD, the DEW line), and since 9-11, quite probably on border security. But the differences between the two countries are immense. Cuba, for example, I can still buy Montecristos and vacation in Cuba ... the contentious debates over softwood lumber (not a well known one, but very important) and many other bitter debates surrounding NAFTA .... under a conservative govt., we get a little closer ... and when, inevitably with our politcs, the Liberals regain power, we back off. Friends we may be .... allies when it suits our interests (we don't do Iraq, but we do Afghanistan, not as US allies, but because of our commitment to NATO) ... but, we are independent; and that will never change.
Let's hope you continue to have a choice

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 09:57   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You seem to be one of those people who believe that racism is a one way street.

I've posted on here that personally the most blatent and overt reacism I've ever witnessed was by Asians against indigineous Africans in east Africa.

Just this week in the Observer there was a man who was racially abused and had his dog attacked, does that not count because the victim happened to be white?

Prejudice based on someones race is wrong, in my opinion. Though I have no problem demanding immigrants, of whatever colour, move to another country if their sole objective is to take away people's hard earned democratic rights.
This is a good point and I was once in my car on a dual Carriage in Blackburn
5 Asian boys approached my car as I was stationary at the lights. They rocked it and taunted me calling me 'A F***ing white B*t*h'
I went to report this at the station in a shaken state and was first told it wasn't racism cos I was white.. Ugh?
I argued the point and they had to send a policeman down with a form from Preston to fill in as they didn't have any for me
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 11:03   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
This is a good point and I was once in my car on a dual Carriage in Blackburn
5 Asian boys approached my car as I was stationary at the lights. They rocked it and taunted me calling me 'A F***ing white B*t*h'
I went to report this at the station in a shaken state and was first told it wasn't racism cos I was white.. Ugh?
I argued the point and they had to send a policeman down with a form from Preston to fill in as they didn't have any for me
Unfortunately susie racism is a one way street, bet if you'd have recipicated (not as you would, being a lady) your feet wouldn't have touched
Old 24-03-2009, 12:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Some of my posts could be interpreted as racist, but wasnt the intention, people from other countries, entering through legal channels, and working for a living, and accepting our way of life, without forcing thier own down our throats, I have absolutely no problem with. Illegal entries, people who have come here and never worked/contributed to our society, attempt to change our customs, or have us adopt thiers, scrounge off the state, run drugs, credit card scams, and a whole lot more, are in themselves racist towards us, so to them, yes, I could be called racist.
This quote is probbably the most sensible and reflective quote regarding all immigrants in Britain by the majority of decent hard working people.
Well said,
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 12:23   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
This quote is probbably the most sensible and reflective quote regarding all immigrants in Britain by the majority of decent hard working people.
Well said,
think thats summat most sensible people can hang their coats on.
Old 24-03-2009, 16:19   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Unfortunately susie racism is a one way street, bet if you'd have recipicated (not as you would, being a lady) your feet wouldn't have touched
Racism isn't a one way street. There are cases in this country where non whites have been prosecuted for racial crimes in this country, and quite rightly so if they are guilty of such crimes.

Here's a link which highlights two cases, though there are many more if you care to look.

'The most recent analysis shows that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities (BME) said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. In the same period, 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim'

'Focusing on violent racial attacks, 49,000 BME were victims. Among whites, the number was 77,000.'

BBC NEWS | UK | Racism and race crime redefined

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:27   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Racism isn't a one way street. There are cases in this country where non whites have been prosecuted for racial crimes in this country, and quite rightly so if they are guilty of such crimes.

Here's a link which highlights two cases, though there are many more if you care to look.

'The most recent analysis shows that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities (BME) said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. In the same period, 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim'

'Focusing on violent racial attacks, 49,000 BME were victims. Among whites, the number was 77,000.'

BBC NEWS | UK | Racism and race crime redefined
The thing is Rindi, its very rare to hear of positive discrimination being prosecuted, as opposed to the other way round

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..