Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2006, 19:59   #1
Senior Member+

What A Waste

Has anyone else thrown(or will have to) away enough food to feed a small country,this Crimbo.It seems portion control has gone out the window here.The xmas dinner for 3 would have fed 5 or 6.The buffet for 12 woulld have done for 20.There's no room in the fridge,the freezers full.Already sick of turkey,vol au vents,pies,ham etc.What a waste of food,and money
Old 27-12-2006, 20:05   #2
Beacon of light

Re: What A Waste

No.....I bought a Turkey Crown and a lovely piece of beef to roast.
The meat was shared by four adults and two children......we had a little left over for sandwiches...and the roast beef was finished off for tea this evening.
I didn't buy in excess of what I would buy for a normal weekend.
We didn't over eat, or for that matter drink too much. Just hang on a minute......I need to go and adjust my halo...it is choking me
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 20:48   #3
God Member

There was an article on the news this morning that said as a nation we spend 1.2 billion pounds on unwanted presents at Christmas
Old 27-12-2006, 21:30   #4
I am Banned

In our house with have 3 adults so instead of getting a big turkey we get turkey fillets from asda and use them no 4 hours of cooking and no waste simple.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 21:37   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to do that regular maxwell,but we done ok this time, got a piece of topside instead this time and everyone said how they prefered it, not much left everything else that left aint perishable so well pleased this year.
Old 27-12-2006, 21:56   #6
God Member

Well we,ve not done too bad either this year had a lovely xmas dinner and what was left i made a turkey soup with .....yummy....even used the left over veg and everyone has enjoyed that and now im ready for the new years dinner ...I vowed after having so much left over last year ....never again
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 22:24   #7
Resident Waffler

I can't comment on this thread on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 23:14   #8
God Member

Went to asda at Rawtenstall on Saturday and bought a book, some teacakes, 2 chicken breasts, a loaf of bread and some chocolate and thats seen me through to tomorrow. Mainly because on Xmas Day went to my sisters for xmas dinner and yesterday went to my nieces for boxing day party.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 07:31   #9
God Member

I always find it weird that people buy so much at Christmas. Suddenly ASDA have fridges full of enormous hams that they wouldn't sell at any other time of year yet people buy them.

The biggest extravegance for us this year was a goose for Xmas dinner (Free in exchange for setting up a wifi network at the goose farm ) and a large(2lb) chunk of stilton which we will eat with no problem whatsoever.

We've even been quite good on teh booze front.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 11:29   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Free in exchange for setting up a wifi network at the goose farm
Will you be remote administering it next December and causing it to breakdown, so you get asked to repair it in time for another free goose next Christmas?
Old 28-12-2006, 13:51   #11
Resident Waffler

I think people buy larger joints of meat, birds etc because they have family round for Christmas dinner and feed more people than they would normally feed. I know someone who had 32 people for Christmas dinner. You need a big chunk of meat for that many.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 14:08   #12
God Member

When I was at Asda last saturday i saw two people at different times in the store both with around 10 large cartons of milk in the bottom of their trolleys. Asda was only shut on xmas day - well i dont know about Accrington but Rawtenstall was open on Boxing day.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 14:28   #13
God Member

heh, used to love going shopping for teh restaurant.

"Can I have that piece of cheddar please, yes, teh whole piece!"
"do you have 50 packets of garlic bread in the back/"
"30 loaves, no thanks, I only need 25 today"

As for teh router Neil, it was some dodgy no name thing so I'm quiety confident that it will go pear shaped all on its own with no external help from myself. Oh and they want a VNC system installing so he can print stuff on his expensive laser printer in teh office from home. I think I should be OK for another goose.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 14:48   #14
I am Banned

its christmas folks

pig out and enjoy yourself and screw the waste

as for unwanted gifts wrap them up next year and pass them on or if you have a recipt take it back and exchange it for somthing you do want
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 15:11   #15
God Member

Wasted enough food to fatten up Posh Spice and several skinny models.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..