Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: What have the Tories ever done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
it may surprise you Andrew that I got my info from the Daily Mail..I admit that I did not watch any of the gut wrenching Tory Conference speeches which for me seem to be akin to the Nuremberg Rallies...almost everything in your post seem to be reasonable policies but I don't believe any of it....history shows that when the Tories start talking about hard decisions it is the less well off that take the brunt... Tories always balance the books by squeezing the vast majority.. thats what they do ..simple!
And just what have this lot been doing for the last 12 years but screwing EVRYBODY to the floor, we are now he most taxed nation in Europe and the most in debt too
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And just what have this lot been doing for the last 12 years but screwing EVRYBODY to the floor, we are now he most taxed nation in Europe and the most in debt too
Very true and the lesson is dont let a chancellor be a PM. He caused and now that Saint Tony has left the building so to speak he aint got a doggy poo bag to clean it up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 22:07   #48

Quote:
Well your Council Tax would be frozen for two years for a start kate
What about the cuts in services that will follow the freezing of Council Tax?

The only way Council Tax can stay at a 0% rise is by cutting costs - which will inevitably mean staff.

Before you accuse me of only posting to be inflammtory - I have been away on holiday for the last 2 weeks.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 23:00   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post

The only way Council Tax can stay at a 0% rise is by cutting costs - which will inevitably mean staff.

Before you accuse me of only posting to be inflammtory - I have been away on holiday for the last 2 weeks.
You should have stayed on holiday and spared us this garbage. Why should a 0% rise result in staff cuts? Most people in the private sector have to make do this year with a 0% wage rise; others are having their wages cut, or simply losing their jobs And it is the private sector which pays for the public sector - so why the hell should they now pay more for pay rises for useless bureaucrats, time-wasters and no-hopers on inflated pensions, long holidays and any excuse to do nowt but fart around in Scaitcliff House or County Hall courtesy of the ratepayer.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 23:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You should have stayed on holiday and spared us this garbage. Why should a 0% rise result in staff cuts? Most people in the private sector have to make do this year with a 0% wage rise; others are having their wages cut, or simply losing their jobs And it is the private sector which pays for the public sector - so why the hell should they now pay more for pay rises for useless bureaucrats, time-wasters and no-hopers on inflated pensions, long holidays and any excuse to do nowt but fart around in Scaitcliff House or County Hall courtesy of the ratepayer.
Maybe you can explain how a 0% Council Tax freeze can be achieved without cutting services.

There are other costs involved in providing services as well as staff costs.
Old 12-10-2009, 23:11   #51
God Member

Quote:
I'd say 10 of the last 12yrs have been steady until the world wide economic slump...and in comparison to the Thatcher years they have been good.. to be frank Jaysay your memory of the last Tory Government seems a bit blurred... 17% interest rates, 15% mortgage rates.. the active slaughter of UK industries in a quest to smash unions..hundereds of patients on trollies in hospitals coridoors because of cuts in funding.. riots on a regular basis...14% national unemployment rising to 25-30% in Wales and the north.
If you think (in your own words) that EVERYBODY has been screwed to the floor under Labour I reckon not... maybe the EVERYBODY you talk of are the high wage earners that don't like the idea of paying tax for services in this country..and that would be no surprise from a life long Tory supporter.

Last edited by Mancie; 12-10-2009 at 23:19.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 23:33   #52
God Member

Quote:
Maybe you can explain how a 0% Council Tax freeze can be achieved without cutting services.

There are other costs involved in providing services as well as staff costs.
Inflation is running at about 0% for non-staff costs - that is according to HMG's inflation statistics, taking the midpoint of the RPI/CPI. So we've nowt to worry about there.

No one gets a pay rise so that's 0% - which is better than in the private sector.

So no cuts in staff and no cuts in services.

Easy when you can do your sums, unlike most labour people.
Old 12-10-2009, 23:40   #53
God Member

Quote:
Inflation is running at about 0% for non-staff costs - that is according to HMG's inflation statistics, taking the midpoint of the RPI/CPI. So we've nowt to worry about there.

No one gets a pay rise so that's 0% - which is better than in the private sector.

Simple..does your calculation take account the directors and executive wage increases in the private sector? ..and there's no way you can involve the "back handers" and tax loop holes and ivansion for the already highly paid members of the board, loopholes that are beyond the working men and women in this country.. nothing will be done under a Tory Government.. because the fat cats will be the Government!

Last edited by Mancie; 12-10-2009 at 23:47.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 00:02   #54
God Member

Quote:
Simple..does your calculation take account the directors and executive wage increases in the private sector? ..and there's no way you can involve the "back handers" and tax loop holes and ivansion for the already highly paid members of the board, loopholes that are beyond the working men and women in this country.. nothing will be done under a Tory Government.. because the fat cats will be the Government!
Of course it does...I'm talking about the average pay rise in the private sector. No doubt there will be some successful companies which will pay their directors large, earned bonuses...there will be some that will pay unjustified salaries and bonuses..and many will cut their salaries and bonuses..but at the end of the day, we don't have to pay their prices or buy their products and services. Unlike public services, where we have the choice of lumping it or lumping it and paying through the nose for it.

Remember this - the average public sector payroll package is now higher than that of the private sector, everywhere in the UK, other than London and the South-East. So you tell us who the fat cats are.
Old 13-10-2009, 01:12   #55

Quote:

What about fuel costs for vehicles (I presume you would still want your refuse to be collected - roads to be maintained etc). What about insurance costs?

Are your personal day to day living costs running at 0% ? I know that mine are not - all my insurance premiums have increased this year and I am struggling to keep my food bills at a 0% and the cost of petrol is now about 12p a litre more than it was earlier in the year.
Try asking pensioners if they have a 0% inflation rate - they are not benefiting from lower mortgage rates as most do not have a mortgage
Old 13-10-2009, 06:50   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

[quote=claytonender;752996]What about the cuts in services that will follow the freezing of Council Tax?

The only way Council Tax can stay at a 0% rise is by cutting costs - which will inevitably mean staff.[quote]

How about increasing productivity using the staff you have to maintain and improve services. This is something that the private sector has had to do for many years but the public sector does not appear to understand. You just take more from the tax payer.
Old 13-10-2009, 07:05   #57
God Member

its bomfire night soon and what better time and excuse to put a much needed rocket up teh arses of the staff at the council

if the council employees had to answer to somone or they had any competion they would be bankrupt because no one would use them , iv dealt with some dumb firkers in my time but you can get further with an indian chasing a snake around the office thousands of miles away with a very poor grasp of the english language than dealing with anyone at the council

too much job security in council jobs , a fraction of the cockups made effecting peoples lives would get someone fired in a real world job

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 07:08   #58

[QUOTE=Neil;753064][quote=claytonender;752996]What about the cuts in services that will follow the freezing of Council Tax?

Quote:

How about increasing productivity using the staff you have to maintain and improve services. This is something that the private sector has had to do for many years but the public sector does not appear to understand. You just take more from the tax payer.
Actually Neil - since a report in published in July 2004 -by Sir Peter Gershon- all local authorities have had to make year on year efficiency savings. Hyndburn has made these savings every year since. I don't have the figures for the savings to hand - but I seem to think they appear on your Council Tax bill.

You might read these two reports (only had time to do a quick google search - so sorry if not relevant)
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloads/procstratnew.pdf
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...l_Strategy.pdf

Unfortuantely because Hyndburn is a very small authority there are certain areas where making even more saving would really effect the level of service the public receive.

Last edited by claytonender; 13-10-2009 at 07:12.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:13   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd say 10 of the last 12yrs have been steady until the world wide economic slump...and in comparison to the Thatcher years they have been good.. to be frank Jaysay your memory of the last Tory Government seems a bit blurred... 17% interest rates, 15% mortgage rates.. the active slaughter of UK industries in a quest to smash unions..hundereds of patients on trollies in hospitals coridoors because of cuts in funding.. riots on a regular basis...14% national unemployment rising to 25-30% in Wales and the north.
If you think (in your own words) that EVERYBODY has been screwed to the floor under Labour I reckon not... maybe the EVERYBODY you talk of are the high wage earners that don't like the idea of paying tax for services in this country..and that would be no surprise from a life long Tory supporter.
There is only one government ever cut NHS spending that was good old Herold's Labour Government Mancie, as for the Unions it should always be the elected Government that runs the country not Unions holding government to ransom end of. When the Tories left office in 1997 they left the best economic forecast for any incoming government in History, now we are in more debt than ever before, borrowing is out of control a 14% of GDP, we now have the heaviest tax burden in our history, our pension system ha been decimated and this wonderful Prime Minister is about to go on a fire sale of British assets, lets just hope he does a better job than he did when he flogged off our Gold Reserves at rock bottom prices
Old 13-10-2009, 10:18   #60
God Member

Quote:

Does that mean Labour will not be proposing a council tax freeze or cut come the next local elections?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..