Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2011, 00:51   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Where's the line for Comedians

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Shut up Nerys.

You're so not funny.

Run along now.

You've rams that need milking.

After you've finished worrying the sheep, with their life coaching lessons.

i find that highly offensive and feel you should be banned forthwith

jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2011, 01:13   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
my point is should we stop telling jokes that offend someone if not why is it ok to offend some people but not others
Its not OK to tell a Joke about someone who isn't able to see that they are being made fun of!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 01:34   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Its not OK to tell a Joke about someone who isn't able to see that they are being made fun of!

Best Regards - Taggy

but is it not worse to offend someone who understands the fact they are being offended, surely someone is unaware or unable to understand the joke, by sheer logic is therefore not offended. only the people who understand the joke are offended and as they are not the subject of the joke should not be offended as they are only assuming that the person the joke is aimed at is offended by it. which is worse? in my experience someone making assumptions as to the way you think or feel and voicing that point without your input is just as offensive. However as the people in question can not actually voice their opinion we will never know whether it is offensive to them or not.

at the end of the day i have already said that i don't particularly agree with it but there are two sides to every coin. and there are some people that believe that all publicity is good publicity and there being controversial is guaranteed to get you noticed hence guaranteed publicity. i've just read the comments and personally i've heard a lot worse, although i still don't find him or his jokes/comments funny
Old 27-11-2011, 01:42   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
but is it not worse to offend someone who understands the fact they are being offended, surely someone is unaware or unable to understand the joke, by sheer logic is therefore not offended. only the people who understand the joke are offended and as they are not the subject of the joke should not be offended as they are only assuming that the person the joke is aimed at is offended by it. which is worse? in my experience someone making assumptions as to the way you think or feel and voicing that point without your input is just as offensive. However as the people in question can not actually voice their opinion we will never know whether it is offensive to them or not.

at the end of the day i have already said that i don't particularly agree with it but there are two sides to every coin. and there are some people that believe that all publicity is good publicity and there being controversial is guaranteed to get you noticed hence guaranteed publicity. i've just read the comments and personally i've heard a lot worse, although i still don't find him or his jokes/comments funny
OK i'll make this a bit simpler then!..My own Son is Brain injured...he find's Ricky Gervais and also Little Britain Parody's deeply offensive..in fact they have totally destroyed his confidence, because he now thinks everyone is laughing at him!..He feels confident enough in explaining that to me...but he would be frightened of meeting you because of that experience!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 02:51   #65
Senior Member+

while i most definately feel for your son and of course yourself. no-one deserves to suffer in that way you have to admit he is only 1 example of the thousands of people in the same position. it is the same as saying that because 1 irishman is offended by a paddy murphy joke ALL irishmen are offended by the same joke and they should therfore be banned. which we know to be untrue otherwise people like hal roach and dusty young would never have been the hits that they were.

the sad fact is that although a comedian may not be to your taste, as long as there are enough people that put their bums on the seats of their shows they will continue telling the jokes to their audiences. the answer is, if you don't like them or their material then don't watch them!
Old 27-11-2011, 08:23   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not advocating censorship.....I am advocating sensitivity.....a sort of self regulated, in built, ethical compass.
And it wasn't a joke as such where Jimmy Carr made fun of Down's children, it was a sort of comment, a remark.
Which says a lot about the ethics of the man. If he thought that waht he said was funny, then he has a very sick sense of humour, no ethics and no moral compass.
The thing is this chap has said nothing is sacred when it comes to comedy, can't remember him telling many jokes about islam, funny that ain't it
Old 27-11-2011, 08:28   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
just to be clear, we can't take the mick out of man utd. fans then
They don't have a sense of humour, like most southerners
Old 27-11-2011, 09:12   #68
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm not saying you are advocating censorship, hon .... I just offered an answer to the question posed in the thread title ... Personally, I find there are certain types of comedy, certain jokes which are not funny because of their subject ... but that's only my opinion. I know, for example, that some folks object to obscenity in comedy ... I admit that I don't like it (me, with a vocabulary that would roast a sailor's parrot) if it serves no comedic purpose.
Yes, Eric......I suspected that. I just wanted to clarify what I meant.
I think your sense of humour changes as you get ....er, more mature. (at least mine has)
You become a little more aware of sensibilities, sensitivities......you become more aware of how things can be hurtful rather than funny.
I think this is because you have experienced more things in life.

I was angry when the comedian(he doesn't really deserve that title as he is as funny as a cold sore) referred to Katie Price's disabled son, Harvey, in one of his jokes.
It was personal, it named the little boy and it was offensive. And he thought it was suitable for public consumption.
He was making money out of telling a story about a blind brain damaged little boy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:46   #69
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
OK i'll make this a bit simpler then!..My own Son is Brain injured...he find's Ricky Gervais and also Little Britain Parody's deeply offensive..in fact they have totally destroyed his confidence, because he now thinks everyone is laughing at him!..He feels confident enough in explaining that to me...but he would be frightened of meeting you because of that experience!

Best Regards - Taggy
How very sad. Don't see how anyone finds Ricky Gervais and Little Britain remotely funny but this really says it all. Hope your son can overcome this one day.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:59   #70
God Member

No-one could possibly be offended at this.

Wales

An Australian ventriloquist visiting Wales, walks into a small village and sees a local
sitting on his porch patting his dog. He figures he'll have a little fun.

Ventriloquist: "G'day Mate! Good looking dog, mind if I speak to him?"
Villager: "The dog doesn't talk, you stupid Aussie."
Ventriloquist: "Hello dog, how's it going mate?"
Dog: "Doin' all right.
Villager: (look of extreme shock)
Ventriloquist: "Is this villager your owner?" (pointing at the villager)
Dog: "Yep"
Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
Dog: "Real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food and takes me to the lake once a week to play."
Villager: (look of utter disbelief)

Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your horse?"
Villager: "Uh, the horse doesn't talk either....I think."
Ventriloquist: "Hey horse, how's it going?"
Horse: "Cool"
Villager: (absolutely dumbfounded)
Ventriloquist: "Is this your owner?" (pointing at the villager)
Horse: "Yep"
Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"
Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking. He rides me regularly, brushes me down often and keeps me in the barn to protect me from the elements."
Villager: (total look of amazement)

Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"
Villager: "The sheep's a liar!

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 16:28   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
How very sad. Don't see how anyone finds Ricky Gervais and Little Britain remotely funny but this really says it all. Hope your son can overcome this one day.
Agree on Mr Gervais -dead pan - dead boring...

Never really seen Little Britain just the odd sketch but don't think it's my thing either...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 16:45   #72
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Agree on Mr Gervais -dead pan - dead boring...

Never really seen Little Britain just the odd sketch but don't think it's my thing either...
No I've not seen Little Britain - the trailers put me right off. And as for those awful Natiowide TV ads they did...
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 17:26   #73
Senior Member+

have to say i do quite like it especially how they have charicatured the very extremes of society, very clever, also liked their series done around an airport
Old 27-11-2011, 17:33   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
No I've not seen Little Britain - the trailers put me right off. And as for those awful Natiowide TV ads they did...
To be honest I'd rather go the dentist than watch little britain
Old 27-11-2011, 17:56   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest I'd rather go the dentist than watch little britain
Oh I loved that sketch.

They had you off to a tee.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..